1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DanielB
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by DanielB » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:17 am

Oh - I see it now. On the photo with the box! No big deal - shuld be a decal. It is on my 96 Firebird by ERTL anyway.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Chicago Hobby Expo

Post by corlando52 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:21 pm

My friend called me on his way home from the Chicago Hobby Expo. He went to the Ertl booth there and saw the KITT diecast. He said the front fog lights looked like stickers, but he can't remember if any were amber. He did take a picture which I will post as soon as I get it. He said the detailing on the underside was remarkable and fully painted. The scanner wouldn't work but the lady there said it was the battery. There is a blue button on the passenger side that turns it on. He said the ejector seat was broken and looked cheap. The lady at the booth was not very knowledgable, but he asked about a release date. She didn't know, and pointed to a poster that had 2 release dates, one February 2005. Now, my friend said that might be for a "Deformed" Knight Rider car because he saw the General Lee AND a Deformed General Lee that was coming out. Could the "Deformed" KITT actually be...dare I say it...a SUPER PERSUIT KITT??? I don't know!
My friend asked a couple of people there if Aoshima had any ties with Ertl, and there was a resounding NO! It seems more clear that Ertl does NOT = Aoshima.
Damn, now I have to buy BOTH!

Chris

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:39 pm

I don't believe the foglights will be stickers - this is a 1/18 scale model, and stickers for lights just don't hack it. Looking at my shelf, I've not got a single model with stickers for lights, from any manufacturer.

Any idea how soon you will be able to get the photo online?

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

ASAP

Post by corlando52 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:01 pm

I found the fact that the fog lights were stickers a little strange, too. But he was pretty sure. Anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I see the picture myself. We might also assume this was the prototype, which may mean even if they were stickers, the actual production model might not have stickers. YUCK!
I will post any pictures he sends me immediately. Now, I don't know if he took digital pictures or regular. Digital pictures I'll have right away, as soon as he emails them to me. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until he gets them developed.
Either way I PROMISE to have them here the second I get them.

Chris

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:56 pm

...theres certainly something between Aoshima and ERTL. Aoshima have released ERTL model kits in the past under their own name. Also the new range of James Bond cars that are being made by ERTL (for future release) are also being released by Aoshima....seems more than a coincedence. Finally the little oddities of this 1:18 KR are apparent on both models like the white lettering on the tyres. Aoshima have never done this on any KR release so it seems strange to start now. The features of both 1:18 KR cars by ERTL and Aoshima are also remarkably similiar.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

theknightrider
Volunteer

Post by theknightrider » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:33 pm

Aoshima and Ertl both share the Back to the Future Delorean molds. Both cars are identical. One is just released under ERTL in the states and under Aoshima over seas.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:49 pm

Perhaps the idea behind the white lettering on the tires was an attempt to make K.I.T.T. slightly more stylish as opposed to being completely blacked out.

I'm starting to think the same reasons that Kenner as well as other companies decided to decorate their KITT cars with either the words "Knight Rider" or "Knight 2000" in red usually along the doors may be the same as Aoshima and Ertl's putting the white lettering there. The most obvious example of this is on the Knight 2000 Voice Car.

Obviously, if Kenner wanted to, they could have never put the "Knight 2000" lettering on their toy cars, knowing that it wasn't accurate. I think Ertl and Aoshima decided to just put the white letting on the tires anyway because one, they are both probably the same mold/style being shared, and two, they may have decided just to add a little something to the car perhaps because they might have felt all black may have been too dull looking.

What do you guys think? :?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:24 pm

Could the Jan 05 release be KARR?

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:05 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Obviously, if Kenner wanted to, they could have never put the "Knight 2000" lettering on their toy cars, knowing that it wasn't accurate. I think Ertl and Aoshima decided to just put the white letting on the tires anyway because one, they are both probably the same mold/style being shared, and two, they may have decided just to add a little something to the car perhaps because they might have felt all black may have been too dull looking.
I think it had less to do with making the toy more colorful, and more to do with "branding" the car. The red sensor light is distinctive, but it's relatively tough to notice on small-scale toys like the old Turbo Booster. The "KNIGHT 2000" text is just as distinctive, and it's easier to notice, even though it's technically less show-accurate than an "unbranded" toy.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Good point

Post by corlando52 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:23 pm

sarfraz wrote:...theres certainly something between Aoshima and ERTL. Aoshima have released ERTL model kits in the past under their own name. Also the new range of James Bond cars that are being made by ERTL (for future release) are also being released by Aoshima....seems more than a coincedence. Finally the little oddities of this 1:18 KR are apparent on both models like the white lettering on the tyres. Aoshima have never done this on any KR release so it seems strange to start now. The features of both 1:18 KR cars by ERTL and Aoshima are also remarkably similiar.

Sarfraz
I didn't realize there was such a co-habitation between Ertl and Aoshima. You bring out some very good points. Even though the rep at the Chicago Hobby Show said they don't share their molds with anyone, it would make sense that Aoshima was just importing them from Ertl and repackaging them and selling them as theirs. That would also explain the higher cost.
I guess this won't be answered until they both are actually out.
I wrote to RC2 about this, but I really don't expect an answer.

Chris

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:39 am

What is going on between Aoshima and ERTL?? There must be a reason why the price is higher for the Aoshima models... There is something more to this.. It can't just be because Aoshima's doesn't have the words "TransAm" on the fender.....hmmm...... Its still a mystery...

I'm still certain that they used the mold from ERTL. Take a look at this pic. This pic clearly shows that Aoshima used ERTL's pic of the model the first time round. Note: The amber lens>>>

This was ERTL's pic of the model>>

Aoshima must have done something more to these models.. We all know that Aoshima will not have tha amber fog lights and the words "TransAm" on the fender. But cld there be more to explain the higher price tag. Maybe better paint work? More show accurate? Better looking scanners in terms of how it moves? A light up dashboard??

What do u guys think?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:04 am

...better paint job most likely, anything else is unknown.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Chicago Show pics

Post by corlando52 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:49 am

My friend said he would try to have the pictures of KITT from the Chicago Hobby Show to me by tonight. I'll post them here as soon as I get them.

Chris

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:54 am

Thanks mate - I'm eagerly awaiting them! :)

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Re: Chicago Show pics

Post by imranbecks » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:09 pm

corlando52 wrote:My friend said he would try to have the pictures of KITT from the Chicago Hobby Show to me by tonight. I'll post them here as soon as I get them.

Chris
Thats great! Looking forward to those pics..

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:22 am

My best judgement is: The Aoshima model will definitely have the better paint job, no Trans Am badgings and most likely have far superior and flashier packaging. It's as easy as that, and so justifies their higher price tag. Aoshimas also have the bragging rights of being rarer than their ERTL counterparts. I would definitely reserve my money for the Aoshima, if it will become available in my area. If you can spare the money guys, I'd go for the Aoshima. It's in my deepest feeling that we won't regret owning it over the ERTL.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:44 am

HondaSiR wrote:My best judgement is: The Aoshima model will definitely have the better paint job, no Trans Am badgings and most likely have far superior and flashier packaging. It's as easy as that, and so justifies their higher price tag. Aoshimas also have the bragging rights of being rarer than their ERTL counterparts. I would definitely reserve my money for the Aoshima, if it will become available in my area. If you can spare the money guys, I'd go for the Aoshima. It's in my deepest feeling that we won't regret owning it over the ERTL.
I agree with u HondaSiR... I ended up cancelling my order for the ERTL KITT and ordered the Aoshima 1:18 KITT at HLJ after looking at all those pics of the Aoshima version... And I don plan to change my mind... Going for quality!!! I placed my order for the Aoshima 1:18 KITT at HLJ since 2 weeks ago... Now I'm just waiting for it to be released so it can be shipped out :D

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Chicago Show pics

Post by corlando52 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:47 am

OK, here's the picture(s) my friend took, and it doesn't look good. I don't see an overhead console (in fact, it looks like a convertible), 2 of the fog lights are amber, and all in all looks like garbage. I'm hoping this is just a crumby prototype, but I think I'm going to order the Aoshima KITT.
There's also a smaller black car on the right that my friend thought might be a KITT Funny car.

Chris

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:06 pm

Looks superb! Can't wait! Ok, so it's got an amber light, and lettering on the tyres, but I've been waiting my whole life for this model! Is it really worth paying to import one all the way from Japan just for 2 fog lights? If it does say Trans-Am on the wing, it's easily removed in 10 seconds with nail varnish remover!

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:15 pm

Oh my!!!! I don't know, it just doesn't look right... But i think there is an overhead console, its just very difficult to see in the pic...

If u want quality, detail and willing to fork out more $$$, then i think it wld be wise to go for the Aoshima 1:18.

corlando52- Don't mind me asking, is that the only angled view that was taken by your friend?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:42 pm

looks crap. but if it IS a convertible version, it might be worth getting...i'm getting the aoshima in any case now cos i'm not impressed.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:35 pm

Skav wrote:looks crap.
How can you say that? There are two pieces of plastic different!

It isn't a convertible either - the convertible KITT didn't have any rear window, and the spec of the ERTL model shows it as having removable T-tops (which can also be seen on the rear wall of the previously posted ERTL packaging).

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Unfortunately

Post by corlando52 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:37 pm

Unfortunately, that is the ONLY picture my friend took of KITT. I was surprised and a little disappointed, but it's better than nothing.
Here's what is confusing me: The Aoshima box that is pictured above looks EXACTLY like the Ertl picture I posted, yet, does NOT look like the Aoshima model from the Japanese show.
So, what are we to believe? It's getting very strange. I'm going to hold off until they are both out commercially. I've already ordered the Ertl, and it's cheap enough that if the Aoshima IS different, I'll order that as well. Maybe I'll light one of the dashboards myself, then.
My friend also said that the bottom of the Ertl KITT was VERY detailed, painted and complete, not just a black modeled bottom like most models.
I took a look at the Ertl picture (this time with my glasses on) and I do see the center console. You can see the front of it across the windshield. I was in such a hurry to post it for you guys I didn't take a good look.

Chris

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:15 pm

if that is the actual product ertl is going to release,then you can bet that someone in the r&d dept. is going to be in hot water. i would be almost certain that they based that car off someone's KITT replica to have that many mistakes. (the white walls,trans am lettering,the amber fog lights,etc.)if it comes to my door with that many mistakes,i will be calling ertl and giving them an ear full. the trans am lettering and amber lights are a no-brainer. any 6 year old kid who watched the show would know they don't belong there. i really will be disappointed in ertl of it makes it to the shelves looking like that. at least we have Aoshima to make things right.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:00 am

Skav wrote:looks crap. but if it IS a convertible version, it might be worth getting...i'm getting the aoshima in any case now cos i'm not impressed.
maybe you people should turn up the brightness on your monitor. not only is this NOT a convertable but there is definitely a overhead consol. i think this will probably be the exact same as the Japan version because from the looks of it, they used the same mold. look at the rear window, same oversized frame around the hatch glass. two companies creating their own seperate molds wouldnt have made that mistake identically. other than the amber lense i would say this is the same car.