AWESOME NEWS on SEASON 3 DVD replacements

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:58 am

Wizster wrote:
spyhunter wrote: Also, I can't imagine the most diehard collector would ever be interested in these botched transfers, I mean would you watch them and say, Hey, look at what Universal did, ha ha? I mean anybody can tell there's a problem when there's a car tearing ass on screen and absolutely no sound coming from it!
Collectors love rare items. Issues of books showing a mistake that was later rectified can be very expensive
You really think so?

I'm have tempted to put mine on ebay now while I can sell it, or wait for long while and claim its the rare "messed" up version? lol

I live in the UK so I'm thinking it would be worthless come May time when the Region 2 version is out.

Milkman
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Milkman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:40 pm

I called Universal this morning.

I spoke to someone very nice. He said he was aware of the Internet posting (I assume this one), and he is just waiting to see how Universal wants to handle it. He took down my name and number, and will call me back once he has some information.

He also was hoping to have the information by EOD today.

kitt1987
Recruit

Post by kitt1987 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:30 pm

It'd be nice while they're working on it if they could put the correct intro on "Knight of the Drones" as well!

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:36 pm

I was concerened that I may end up with the same set from Amazon, so got in touch with them agian.

They said"Thank you for contacting us at Amazon.com with your inquiry.

I would suggest to wait until replacement arrives and check if it is
working correctly. If not please write back to us with the following
special URL, so that will take appropriate action"

So I may well end up with the same thing but with luck they can help me getting a corrected set.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:56 pm

MIKEMAC wrote:stupid question, but I have the back to the future triolgy and I didn't notice anything wrong at the time I watched it, what happened to the set originaly??
In parts II and III, the framing of both films is off, meaning that some of the footage originally always seen is cut out. A prime example is when Marty presses the button to dry his jacket in Part II. Originally you see his arm and hand pressing the button; with the butchered sets you don't see anything. It's just an annoyance to those who didn't want their sets tampered with at all.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:07 pm

I'll keep my "Knight Rider" DVD season 3 set, because I don't really want to go through any annoying procedures to get a replacement set.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:19 pm

Here is how the procedure worked for the BTTF discs, if people are curious for that and how they handled international. Of course, things might be different for us.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum ... did=225220

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:15 am

Ok now I think I am banging my head against the wall.
Amazon sent me another set which I got today,
And yes you've guessed it the same problem.

So E mailed them again, they replied saying"look for damage on the disc we can refund you if you want"

So they are getting not the point.

Just Contacted them again asking them to contact Universal and I explained to them again that is was a studio issue not anything to do with damage to the disc.

So now will wait to see if they have got the point this time.

As I told Amazon they need to swap the stock for the rectified set.

I will let you know what happens next as soon as I know

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:23 am

Got my E mail back

"Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I am sorry to hear that your replacement shipment was also
problematic.

The problem with this item is more widespread than we originally
thought, so I am unable to send you another replacement. We will
investigate and remedy the situation with the item, however I cannot
guarantee when the error may be fixed.

Therefore, I have requested a refund of $42.55 to cover the cost of
the item and associated shipping costs. This refund will be issued
shortly. We do ask that you return the wrong item at our expense.

As the return of this item would be prohibitively expensive, please
keep it and dispose of it as you see fit.

Once you have returned the item, please click the link at the bottom
of this message to let us know what your return shipping costs were,
so we may refund you.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.
We value your business and hope that you will continue to consider
Amazon.com for your online shopping needs."

So I think I may as well wait a good few months then order it agian from somewhere after this whole mess is sorted out, at the end of the day I have got a free set and all my postal costs refunded.

So I would be no worse off in say 3 months time if all the error discs are out the way.

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:10 pm

So that is why I went to FYE, they said the Knight Rider was being recalled b/c of faulty dvds...... interesting... I got to go say sorry to someone..........

I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:21 pm

Hm...well hopefully they'll get it right the second time. I also noticed a problem with the first disc being read during "The Ice Bandits." The disc is clean and unscratched, but for some reason my player (a PlayStation 2) is unable to read the disc after the part where Devon gets pistol-whipped. I tried replaying it and skipping the scene, then rewinding it back to that part, but it will only rewind back to the part where the bandits pull their bikes over and one of them gets shot.

knightridergundam
Operative

Post by knightridergundam » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:19 pm

That has never happened to me when I watched Knight Rider on my PS2. Stupid Fality dvds.

I'm a Geek Squad Agent
Linkin Park fan
AMD Phenom Black-Edition Quad-Code user
and I watch Knight Rider.

Akaihiryuu
Operative

Post by Akaihiryuu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:56 pm

If it skips and is unable to read the disk, the disk is bad. Defects like that are a lot more common on double sided DVD's than on single sided, because of the manufacturing process. Now, the PS2 is a little more sensitive to disk defects than "real" DVD players, but it shouldn't have any problems if the disk is good. I had this happen on two different occasions with the season 2 set. On one set, disk 2 was bad, on the other disk 3 was bad. I had to mix and match to get a good set. On the ones that were skipping and giving read errors though, I also tried them in my portable DVD player and on my computer, and I got the same read errors in the same locations. Basically, if it's doing that, and there are no obvious scratches on the disk, then it's a manufacturing defect. If you do get a new set, I recommend keeping the known good disks from your current set, to minimize the chances of getting another bad one. As I said, problems like this tend to crop up a lot more frequently with double sided DVD's. With Stargate SG-1 (which uses single sided DVD's), I only got 1 bad disk out of 8 seasons (45 disks). So far, on Knight Rider, out of 3 seasons (10 disks), I've had 2 bad disks.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'd try to play the disc in another DVD player, but the only player I actually have is my PlayStation 2 (hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?). As it is now, it appears to only be about a minute or two of the episode (and only that episode) that I can't watch, so it's not too big of a deal.

I'm also kind of waiting to see what Universal does about the DVD set; if they recall and ultimately re-release the DVDs, I'll simply trade in my set (or do whatever their offer is). So unfortunately I won't have the option of only keeping the good DVDs in that case.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:41 pm

So, has anyone actually had their DVD set replaced yet? It'd also be nice to know if there's a speciufic procedure we should go through in order to get our sets replaced if they are defective. I bought my Season 3 DVD set from Circuit City and my set seems to be among those affected, especially with the episode "Lost Knight." If no one has a contact at Universal that we should get in touch with specifically, I guess I'll try calling their customer service and see what they tell me. Disappointing though that Universal allowed so many sets to get out there that had such obvious mistakes. Makes one wonder just how mucgh effort they're really putting into their DVDs and what their quality control department is like...

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:20 pm

I had emailed Universal earlier this month and they sent me the usual form mail saying they know there's problems with the Season 3 set and they are working on it. They said that as soon as the replacement set is released they will send me return instructions. That's about all they said. So I guess it's a wait and see thing for now, while they get the set together. Remember, Season 4 is slated for April 4th release so I think they are concentrating on that right now before they start on the Season 3 replacements. That is my guess anyway.

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Has there been any further word, beyond the form letter last month? I've been keeping my ear to the ground in the usual places, but havent turned up anything yet.