In defense of the show

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

davejames
Rookie

Re: In defense of the show

Post by davejames » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:14 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:If they do go a CG route with it a lot and I mean A LOT of work will have to be put into getting the effect right because a lot CG stunts look terrible in motion, dare I say mechanical and clunky. In this day and age there are still problems with that and they'd have to put a lot of work into getting it right, it'd probably be quicker (though maybe less cost effective) just to do the physical stunt unless they start working on it before shooting and are able to do it quick and make it look good and realistic. By realistic, I mean you don't immediately notice that it's a CG car being placed into a "real world" shot.

I do agree that it's something that needs to be used a lot less than it was in the original show, no more than maybe once every three or four episodes.
Unfortunately, in the end, I think NBC would rather spend money on CGI than damage too many of those cars.

And my concern isn't just about the turbo boosts, but stunts in general. When you look at the original series, you can see they REALLY put those cars through their paces, driving them through walls and fences and driving on two wheels and over really bumpy terrain at high speeds, and yeah, jumping them left and right.

You just know they went through a TON of Transam in the making of that show (especially when you think of all the turbo boost landings we DIDN'T see :wink: ). There was kind of a gungho, reckless abandon in those action sequences, which is what made them so thrilling. And that was clearly lacking in both the '91 and '08 movies.

It was painfully obvious that both movies were playing it SAFE, out of a fear of damaging these cars. I just hope that same thing doesn't happen in the new series.

KnightIndustriesTT
Rookie

Post by KnightIndustriesTT » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:18 am

That was a great post to start things off with some great insights, Shapeshifter.

I really enjoyed the new movie and it spurred me to actually join a forum with others who enjoy both the original and this new potential series.

I personally really enjoyed the taste of what the new cast and the new KITT had to offer once it gets picked up and look forwards to seeing the new KITT in more action scenes once the show's potential is recognized and everyone involved gets to really build on this with the budget needed and the writer's strike over, and most especially to more interaction between the new KITT and Mike since they only had limited time to interact alone. The fantastic car crash stunt at the end and the other nicely filmed action (I loved that a few of the camera angles even were similar to the original series on several occasions both in some of the car action scenes and the "briefing" scene at the end, that was a neat nod combined with the excellent new angles only possible nowadays, or atleast they felt like they were to me, were they intentional? :)) has me excited for how this is going to be once everyone involved can refine everything if they do the right thing and pick it up as a series :D

I thought Kilmer did a fantastic job as KITT, the feel and tone seemed great (maybe a tad more mechanical sound post-processing when it's not a last minute integration, for the series). The couple of scenes where KITT and Mike get to "spar" a bit were a great tease making it obvious that the staff "got" Knight Rider which along with the wonderful ties into the original show felt really great as I watched the premiere as it aired.

I'll join the others and say I too would love to see the return of Turbo Boost hehe :kitt:

Please pick this up NBC.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:20 am

I think the CG KITT appeared more often in the movie than many people realize...

Going back to your elementary school test days:
CGI : 2008 :: Model : 1986

Although TV stunts/effects never (rarely) match the quality of a feature film, they can still be very, very good.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KnightIndustriesTT
Rookie

Post by KnightIndustriesTT » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 am

davejames wrote:And my concern isn't just about the turbo boosts, but stunts in general. When you look at the original series, you can see they REALLY put those cars through their paces, driving them through walls and fences and driving on two wheels and over really bumpy terrain at high speeds, and yeah, jumping them left and right.

You just know they went through a TON of Transam in the making of that show (especially when you think of all the turbo boost landings we DIDN'T see :wink: ). There was kind of a gungho, reckless abandon in those action sequences, which is what made them so thrilling. And that was clearly lacking in both the '91 and '08 movies.

It was painfully obvious that both movies were playing it SAFE, out of a fear of damaging these cars. I just hope that same thing doesn't happen in the new series.
They definitely need to do more of this when the show continues and I think I'll extend it to what you are probably getting at, they need to not only do it but do it often like in the original. However, the finale crash leads me to believe they do intend to follow through on this concern, I hope so as well. I wonder if it was just a time constraint of trying to fit everything into the pilot since there's so much extra to cover or these shooting-time constraints that Shapeshifter described. Obviously, as this is certainly one of the hallmarks of the original show, this is one of the areas they need to come through on when it goes series.
justinbrueningnet wrote:Looking on the NBC board lately Im noticing there are more positive posts than negative which is great.
Yeah, I only saw that board after the movie had already aired but it was great to see that board's general tone change completely when it finally aired, another example of the movie being rather successful.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:29 am

davejames wrote:It was painfully obvious that both movies were playing it SAFE, out of a fear of damaging these cars. I just hope that same thing doesn't happen in the new series.
I think that is exactly true but like shape shifter said the were contrained by time, money and a locked script. Also there is the fact it would be hard to conivince the head guys to allow you to perform stunts that would potential ruin at least one of your cars when there is no guarentee there is an audience for it to make it to series

I believe that stuff will come if the new series is given the green light.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:30 pm

Not just damaging cars for stunts, but my guess would be that stunt drivers are commanding high prices just to cover insurance fees. The insurance red tape really went bananas in the mid 90's. I had a wreck/head injury summer of 'o6 and the first thing my insurance asked was something along the lines of "is there anyone we can sue?"

Much as I like seeing real stunts, it's better than no KR at all if we have to put up with CGI stunts.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:50 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:I think the CG KITT appeared more often in the movie than many people realize...

Going back to your elementary school test days:
CGI : 2008 :: Model : 1986

Although TV stunts/effects never (rarely) match the quality of a feature film, they can still be very, very good.
Well, if you watch Smallville, you know how good the CGI can be even in a series.
Smallville even won the 2004 VES Award.

Since the sets are already built, they have the car and the costumes, they can use more budget for effects.
And of course they have more time than for the pilot. I'm expecting the series to be much better than the pilot.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:26 pm

That's because most of Smallville's budget goes to CG when they do CG heavy episodes which isn't that often aside from the basics. They seem to have writers that work cheap too, from some of the bad and really bad stuff they've done I'd swear they picked up a few hobos with drugs problems off the streets of Vancouver and gave them positions on the writing staff.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:10 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:That's because most of Smallville's budget goes to CG when they do CG heavy episodes which isn't that often aside from the basics. They seem to have writers that work cheap too, from some of the bad and really bad stuff they've done I'd swear they picked up a few hobos with drugs problems off the streets of Vancouver and gave them positions on the writing staff.
Nah, they hired the writers from Buffy when that series ended. Well, could be the same, though :mrgreen: