New KITT Suggestions

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

WannaBKnight
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by WannaBKnight » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:35 pm

Actualy KI..
I'm with you..

Michael Knight got to old to still be in 1986,(the beach will do that) and to put Michael Knight in his current era, you have to update the car.

Army, your right that getting the cars together for the original look would work. Even though the show only aired from 82' to 86', any Pontiac T/A from 82' to 92 will work since hardly anything changed during those years. But in KIs defence. Why go through all the trouble to reserecting two dozen Trans Am, and pouring all the gadgets into them, when you can get something new from a fatory. You gotta know that the studio isn't paying full price for these prop cars, the manufacturera are getting publisity. The first T/As were damn near donated.

I'm all for the F-Body to, I own one. Especialy since they are no more. So why not go with the last 02' T/A. As far as a flashback sequence goes, I think they should go with a collectors car, and give them credit for helping to preserve the show.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:22 am

I think the question here is not if we wanna see the old KITT in the new movie, but HOW we wanna see him in it. I mean, I'm sure we all wanna see some touching back on Knight Rider's old days, but some of us(me included) don't wanna see a 3rd gen Trans Am out there posed as "the car of the future" when the future has already passed it by. Don't get me wrong...when I build my KITT, it will be a black 3rd gen, but for the success of this movie, and for the sake of realism, I hope Revolution brings us something new, black and sleek, as opposed to old, black and sleek.

DK

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:51 am

Thats why I say go with the 4th Gen 02' T/A.

Imagine this..
Both the 82' T/A and the 02' T/A. (What is it being called? A WS6?)
Put them side by side. Both black.
The 02' gives him just enough to look familior, and gives the feel like he's grown "muscles".

Yes, I like the Trans Am, I always have. KR is to blame for that. BUT! Thats not the basis for my arguement over T/A v/s anything else. We saw what the Red Tamato did. It was way to far out and radicly extream.

But anyway. Revalution Studios, and David H. are at the helm here, and we'll just have to see what they come up with. Ya never know, they may be reading this very thread.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:57 am

The WS6 is a sports-performance package that is an option on the Trans Am. It includes the "Ram Air" engine and some other enhancements.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:03 am

An add-on then..
OK.. Thanks for filling me in.. I had just heard it being refered to as a WS6 allot.

I have a 95' Bird, but nothing that I know of was like that offered then for a 3.4.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:05 am

knightimmortal wrote:*sigh* Can we at least agree that seeing KITT in his old body isn't feasable, or are we going to beat the crap out of each other on that too? Or more specifically, gang up on Knightimmortal for it?
*sigh* indeed. Nobody is beating the crap out of anybody, nor ganging up on anybody. We're talking about the movie, not eachother.

I'll agree that it's unlikely we'll see KITT in his original body. And you could probably convince me that we don't even WANT to see KITT in his original body. But it's absolutely feasable. This is Hollywood. The Dream Factory. Tinseltown. If they can send muppets to Dagobah, chase Jeff Goldblum with a T-Rex and turn Ian McKellen into an action figure, they could easily get an '82 Trans Am on the big screen if they wanted to.

Mike

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:14 am

[quote="Michael Pajaro]If they can send muppets to Dagobah, chase Jeff Goldblum with a T-Rex and turn Ian McKellen into an action figure, they could easily get an '82 Trans Am on the big screen if they wanted to.[/quote]

Agreed.. But would they bother?
Thats all I'm saying..

If I were one person that wanted to see KITT stay as the old 82' T/A, I bet there would be 5 million that didn't. And if those 5 million were expecting to see the old KITT, they wouldn't bother to see the movie..

Marcus

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:38 am

For that matter ive talked to several people before who refuse to see a Knight Rider movie with David Hasselhoff. Personally id refuse to enjoy a KR movie without him.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:38 am

My concern that the T/A has been finished off means that its looking unlikely it will be in the movie. Now, in MY opinion the last of the T/A's from a style point of view looks garish with too many scoops and bulges to look sleek and elegant, which the 82/86 T/A is.

What ever they choose, little touches from the original will need to be retained or updated, eg please keep the blue california KNIGHT plate, modify and improve the voice box/dash, scanner etc. I'm still bothered by the argument that the original KITT did not stand out. It stood out like a sore thumb, did you see what the bad guys were driving?

KITT could still be an American car, but is there any harm in designing a new concept design for the car? The design ethos to produce a sleek car that is new/sleek/futurestic but not over the top would avoid the errors of the Knight 4000 and could produce a unique design which integrates those touches I spoke of without it looking like they selected any car and just stuck bits on.....and before you ask, there are many accomplised automobile design colleges in Europe (and should be in ths US) which could take this type of problem on with relative ease, and importantly would be cheap for the studio involved with the movie.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:23 am

Hmm... maybe original KITT's new stunts could be made with modern computer graphics and animation by special effects crew.
Then there would have to be just one or two real KITT cars (82-92 TA's) what we would seen in normal driving. Even dash/voicebox electronic displays could be made by modern computergraphics.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:51 am

sarfraz wrote: What ever they choose, little touches from the original will need to be retained or updated, eg please keep the blue california KNIGHT plate, modify and improve the voice box/dash, scanner etc.
Those touches make me nervous too. The voice modulator is sort of KITT's face... how much can they change it before we start thinking "that's not KITT?" The waveform-style voicebox in KR2000 was a nice idea to use for a generic computer voice, but it was a little too different for my taste. I did like the idea that tried to keep the same basic scanner style, and I hope they do the same in the movie.

Mike

NightmareDemon
Volunteer

Post by NightmareDemon » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:17 pm

i just looked on the internet, i found like a billion trans ams for sale. Wasn't hard to find and they all looked to be in excellent condition tho i do know, looks can be decieving.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/fireb.html

check it out for ur self.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:37 pm

And you just fell into the second problem of: if you buy a car online, you are looking at throwing your money away. If you are going to sink that much money into an investment without being able to kick the tires, how about you just reroute that money to me. It would be a whole lot more reliable investment.

You can sit there all you want and beat the horse to death about there being all kinds of Trans-Ams out there, but what good would it do? There aren't any more made. Movie success is about merchandising, merchandising, merchandising. You can't get corporate support off of a car that has been out of production.

There, are you done beating it to death yet? Or would you like a new stick?

KI

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:42 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
knightimmortal wrote:*sigh* Can we at least agree that seeing KITT in his old body isn't feasable, or are we going to beat the crap out of each other on that too? Or more specifically, gang up on Knightimmortal for it?
*sigh* indeed. Nobody is beating the crap out of anybody, nor ganging up on anybody. We're talking about the movie, not eachother.
Kindly do not tell me what I am seeing, and if you don't want me to disrespect you, I will tell you to back off. If you want to reprimand me, do it as you say you always do, via email.
KI
Last edited by knightimmortal on Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NightmareDemon
Volunteer

Post by NightmareDemon » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:52 pm

who knows. i might have just went over there to some of those places and kicked the tire myself up close and personal. But, i didn't say i was gonna buy it. Everybody was talking about how u can't find them anywhere, i was just making a point that they could be found.

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:52 pm

So.... If I invest $6k in you....

What kind of cool things will you do? :lol:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:59 pm

Nightmare Demon: And my point is, I know how available they are. I am not an idiot. I can go online and check them too. But if they are so badly out of shape that it takes the movie studios that much more time and effort to restore them, then that adds to the time. Seeing them online and telling us that they are available online doesn't mean that they are decent either. They exist, yes. We all get that. But if they are rusted out hulks with a pretty paint job and some flashy words to say it works, then gee, it's basically going to just add problems, isn't it?

WannaBKnight: Hmm, for $6K, I could probably find it in my heart to be nicer. That's probably about it. :)

KI

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:06 pm

Gee....
Perhaps I should start a collection.. Hmm?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:08 pm

Wouldn't matter, my price changes from day to day.

KI

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:04 pm

Actually WannabKnight, the original Kitt was a WS6 as well. For the 3rd gen the performance package just contained a stiffer sport suspension with sway controll bars added. No ram-air :cry: though! They were most common on the Formula Firebirds but the 1982 Recaro Trans Am LE had it too :D. My 92 proudly sports the WS6 badge, added it myself because Pontiac didn't advertise the package back then like it does now 8)
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:17 pm

That might explain why I was unaware that KITT was a WS6.
I'm sorry if come off as dumb. I've owned two F-Bodies, but I never got into the technical knowledge behind them. My first was a 85' canadian T/A that I reworked with some help. I took out the stock 305 and replaced it with a 350, and installed a Crossfire FI system. (Don't try this with T-Tops)

The one I have now is a 95' Firebird 3.4L V6 that came with every interior sport option that there was. Unfortunatly I know very little about this one, and I'm looking to join a F-Body club in my area to learn more.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:04 am

Don't worry it is not a dumb question. GM has so many performance codes it's not even funny. I'm still trying to figure out what Pontiac's WS7 performance package consists of :D.

Your current 'bird sounds like its a 1SA option code. The only resaon I know is because I tried to get a 1998 Firebird set up just like yours. The dealer said it was a 1SA. Never got it because they refused to order it how I wanted it; black exterior, tan leather interior and T-tops. If it didn't look like a modern Kitt I didn't want it 8).

Never was a fan of the crossfire injector setup, though. Had an 83 T/A that it never quite worked right on :(. With crossfire you either loved it or hated it.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:39 am

The Crossfire was made for one car and one car alone... The Stingray...

As much as I hate to admit it, the Vette had a little bit more steel under it than the Birds did, or at least that era. And the T-Tops didn't help.. To much torque, twisted the frame and it got lose and started to leak.

I went and vistited your cardomain.com site and decided to do the same with mine. Nice 92' by the way, lookin' good. Mark's Custom Kits is down south of me in Kissimmee(about an hour and a half), and I believe it's Knight Registries thats in Orlando, not sure. Anyway, if you wanna see mine, the link is on my profile.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:47 am

[/quote]

Those touches make me nervous too. The voice modulator is sort of KITT's face... how much can they change it before we start thinking "that's not KITT?" The waveform-style voicebox in KR2000 was a nice idea to use for a generic computer voice, but it was a little too different for my taste. I did like the idea that tried to keep the same basic scanner style, and I hope they do the same in the movie.

Mike[/quote]

I was thinking in the same way that they kept improving the car dash for series to series. If you carry on that process, you would end up with a dash that still had the hallmarks of the original. The scanner had lost its impact in KR2000, it was too small and I agree with you on that cars voice box. Somehow it seemed odd.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Karl Siniak
Recruit

New KITT Suggestions

Post by Karl Siniak » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:58 pm

I was thinking, although I am not a fan of Vauxhall, their new Monaro or as it is most commonly known in Australia as a desirable car the Holden Monaro could be a good car for the new Kitt. I mean, its a two door coupe with rear seats, a very sporty look and from one angle in a car magazine i was browsing, the rear (because of the spoiler) appeared 'similar' to that of the K4000, although it had normal light etc.

Vauxhall are owned by GM as are Pontiac, so there's a relation there, and although not in the pic in the link below, there is a pic where the front grill is slightly different, and could be where the scanner would go. Obviously though, if they used the Monaro, we'd want it Black :D

http://www.freefoto.com/recreation/auto ... x.asp?i=17