Knight Rider Season 3 Reviews and General comments

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Joe Huth

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:32 pm

I recently spoke with someone who has a call into their contact at Universal to try to get an explanation as to the audio changes. He seems to think that the missing sound effects might be that way by accident (or lack of attention to detail). If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Joe

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:53 pm

Just to echo Joe, I also have a word in with Universal. Hopefully someone can figure something out.

Universal had some bad cropping on BTTF II and III, and they wound up offering free replacement discs. Not sure what would happen here as I don't think KR has the same numbers as BTTF Trilogy.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Thanks, Fuzzie Dice, for your good feedback, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets creative with viewing "Knight Rider" episodes on DVD.
To those grousing about the missing sound effects, I honestly don't mind them a lot, especially with a hotel clerk having said a bad word or something to Michael being cut out, so that young children watching the DVD won't hear that offensive word or sentence being said.
I somehow think Universal was subtle with the missing sound effects like they were with the season 2 DVD set, when they had replaced a song.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:25 pm

Hopefully might even be more so for replacement discs because it might cost them less money.

BTW, if they replace the discs, then wouldn't the defective ones be worth more, as they wouldn't have been in production long? Heck, I'd just go buy another set that is known to be the correct one (hopefully) and keep the "defective" one as a collector's item. ;)

LMolineux
Recruit

Post by LMolineux » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:38 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Hopefully might even be more so for replacement discs because it might cost them less money.

BTW, if they replace the discs, then wouldn't the defective ones be worth more, as they wouldn't have been in production long? Heck, I'd just go buy another set that is known to be the correct one (hopefully) and keep the "defective" one as a collector's item. ;)
I Wouldnt go that far as to say that yet as far as worth and value yet. Only time can tell or universal can tell on that if any corrections were made. Trust you me they were rushed out.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:30 am

Jumping the gun a bit, but if Universal Replaced the discs, I would have to buy them again if I wanted the benefit.

I am in the uk and alough they are freely available through companies like amazon.com, they are just really supposed to be available to USA/Canada.

Which would leave another problem.

How would I know that ordering another set I would not get the defected set.

I really don't want the region 2.

So assuming that do admit to mistakes in the set, anyone else on here get the region 1 sets and live in the uk?

What would you do?

LMolineux
Recruit

Post by LMolineux » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 am

What is the differences in the Regions if ya dont mind me asking?

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 am

Region 1 sets run slower, hence they sound better than region 2.

You aalso get the teaser at the start of each episode which is missing on region 2.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:36 pm

I actually wasn't talking about worth as in money, I was talking about worth as in a collector's item that maybe only a KR fan would recognize. Bragging rights, ya know? Like "I have the originally released DVDs". :)

I too think it was rushed or they aren't caring as much anymore. And to have Season 4 out so soon after Season 3 also seems to indicate it's being rushed out the door.

Thing is, after the time they took with season 1 including extras, and then taking a year to do season 2 and 3, why the rush suddenly?

I mean, I'm glad to have KR on DVD sooner, but hope to have at least as close to the original shows as possible.

Knight-Rider
Rookie

Post by Knight-Rider » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:39 pm

Long time no talk gang:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has noticed an easter egg in the set. Because when you put disc 3 in on side B it says before anything The views or comments during interviews do not refelect Universal and so on. Did anyone notice this.

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:53 pm

Knight-Rider wrote:Long time no talk gang:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has noticed an easter egg in the set. Because when you put disc 3 in on side B it says before anything The views or comments during interviews do not refelect Universal and so on. Did anyone notice this.

yes I noticed it too. Is it because of Knight of The Rising Sun?

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:23 am

neps wrote:Just to echo Joe, I also have a word in with Universal. Hopefully someone can figure something out.

Universal had some bad cropping on BTTF II and III, and they wound up offering free replacement discs. Not sure what would happen here as I don't think KR has the same numbers as BTTF Trilogy.

Yeah, I ended up getting new BTTF discs in the mail, and even though the numbers probably aren't anywhere near, we still deserve corrected discs for their sloppiness...

The worst thing has got to be the botched Season Premier Intro, I mean the media was all right there, why would they take it and alter it?

SH

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:29 am

whet wrote:Do these people watch the stuff they are reviewing???

http://www.ugo.com/channels/DVD/article ... leID=17460

How does the series look on DVD after all these years? Although the Knight Rider shows its age, with scattered amounts of grain throughout, it's still a decent visual ride on digital. What the visual quality lacks in cleanliness, rich and intense levels of color balance the overall presentation. In the audio department, the Dolby Digital 2.0 track delivers in a big way, offering much more depth than expected (most notably in the menus, the great theme, and super charged sounds of KITT). It's Eighties TV, so as far as technical specs go, the series is most definitely enhanced by the modern home video treatment. Despite any flaws, it still looks and sounds better than the original broadcast quality. If you're looking for bonus features, this is where Knight Rider runs out of gas. The only extra on the disc is a bonus episode from Season 4, "Knight of the Rising Sun." Although cool (Michael and KITT take on a power hungry Japanese businessman), the bonus episode obviously serves as a teaser to wet your whistle so you'll also pick up the next set when it hits store shelves. If you a fan of show, you'll love it.

Looks better than the tv broadcast, I will give them that but sound better??
Maybe they have a better version than the rest of us :lol:
Well, barring the mistakes, it does sound incredible compared to the tv broadcasts...

It seems like people doing reviews such as this are forced to do them, and therefore do not do in depth reviews, and so many times the errors seem to be so glaring to us fans, but to other people, they don't have a clue... And it's just so very frustrating!

SH

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Joe Huth wrote:I've just finished watching all the episodes on the season 3 DVD set. The ONLY episodes on the ENTIRE DVD set that I found were not messed with are "K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R." and "Knight of thr Rising Sun". I have an email in to someone I know at Universal to see if we can get an explanation.

Joe
It maybe me but is some effects missing when John is hitting KARR's window trying to smash it to get his girlfriend out? I remember small thuds when he hits it, the sharp sounding hit is there when he hits it with his wrist watch but I swear on my VHS copy there are some deeper sounding thuds in the other times he hits the window.

Hopefully Universal will give us a response soon and see when Season 4 comes out whether all effects are intact or not.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:35 am

Still no word from Universal as to what they have to say about the missing effects then ?:cry:

Julius May
Volunteer

Post by Julius May » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:34 pm

Hello. I was shocked to see on this thread that the sound effects were changed on the DVD version of the 3rd season. I don't think it will change my mind in buying the the shows on DVD soon. Should I get replacement discs for the series on DVD if so how do i do that. I don't think that this is really a big deal, as long as we see the whole uncut version of the episodes without any edits of this series on DVD, we should be happy. I'm tired of watching the Sci-Fi reruns anyway. BTW This is my first post, hello everyone.
Julius May

kitt2828
Stranger

Post by kitt2828 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:03 pm

me to i have this problem whit my dvds i have the same thigs but i dont say he having the same things :evil: im on Québec canada scuz for my englif im a frensh man lol :(

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:00 pm

Does anyone else find it Ironic that they still have the sound effect of Kitt's door opening at the end of"Custom made Killer"?

When it is already open.

Of course that's one of the things pointed out in the Knight Rider Legacy.

With all the mistakes they have made that one you might not notice with no soundf effect

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:35 pm

There's something I'm very confused about. I'm aware that the sound effects──including K.I.T.T.'s voice──are added to the episode's soundtrack during the final mix. So officially, every episode's original sound has the sound effects included as a whole as if they were always there.

So, for there to be removed sound effects it seems that Universal would have to go out of their way to purposely edit them out in their specific spots. I just don't see how these things can be omitted by accident. If this was an accident, shouldn't it have either been no sound at all or the original sound including effects?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 pm

Lost Knight wrote:There's something I'm very confused about. I'm aware that the sound effects──including K.I.T.T.'s voice──are added to the episode's soundtrack during the final mix. So officially, every episode's original sound has the sound effects included as a whole as if they were always there.

So, for there to be removed sound effects it seems that Universal would have to go out of their way to purposely edit them out in their specific spots. I just don't see how these things can be omitted by accident. If this was an accident, shouldn't it have either been no sound at all or the original sound including effects?
It's either that method, or Universal have gone back to the master audio tapes that is seprate, one for dialogue, one for music, one for effects, I can't imagine them having effects tracks for each episode but its not impossible, if thats the case then the effects track for each episode is damaged but going by what we've seen on the discs it does seem more like a "Accident" that effects are not there at certain points.

As I've said, if they have gone back to each original tape then the chances are its sloppy mixing from the mastering crew "forgetting2 to put in the appropriate SFX where they should go.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:52 pm

I see. When there was talk earlier about the master tapes, I just assumed these were the episodes on beta tapes being tansferred to DVD. I thought it was just a matter of them being intact there, therefore they should be intact on DVD and not missing in specific spots.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

MLAM
Operative

Post by MLAM » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:06 pm

Well normally there isn't a "Complete" audio track as such, theres several tapes each contain things like SFX and voice dialogue etc.

In order to complately remaster the audio, Universal would need to find the individual tracks and run them through the restore process then mix it all together, now I'm guessing some lazy work at Universal has mean't very sloppy mixing in mixing back in SFX, not to mention music cues as Junk Yard Dog is missing its music for the 30 sec teaser clip.

Milkman
Recruit

Post by Milkman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:13 pm

The sound effects are a little weird to me as well, but it certainly is NOT having any effect on my enjoyment of this set.

There is one thing that was an interesting suprise. There was a LOT of ADDITIONAL material in the KITT vs KARR episode that I have never seen before (and trust me, I have seen them all a bunch of times!)...

#1 - The part where the woman comes up and says RADICAL CAR in the beginning - I have never seen that.

#2 - The long conversation between John and KARR in the garage when John first brought him there.

#3 - The part with John and his boss talking when he paid him the 5k.

This was a really nice surprise which I enjoyed. Not sure why I never saw this before.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:29 am

I guess they were cut out in syndication. A channel in Israel had brought the whole show back to TV about a year ago, and showed the full, original, unedited, episodes. All the scenes that you mention were there.

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:41 am

The issue has reported in TVShowsOnDVD.com:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5120

I was one of those ppl BTW :)