Live Discussion Thread - Journey To The End Of Knight

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Live Discussion Thread - Journey To The End Of Knight

Post by weeezl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:35 pm

bson wrote:Give me the old Knight Rider any day. The new show is so horribly bad that I don't know where to start. Say what you will about the old Michael Knight, but his performances were much better than the new one. This guy can't act and the lines are so bad that the acting seems even worse. I never thought I would say this, but stop people from stripping down all the time. If you want credibility, you can't do this every show. Considering how long ago the old Knight Rider was on, how is it possible that the new show looks so completey fake. The scenes of seeing people in cars do not look remotely realistic. At least try to make it look like the people in the cars are actually going down the road, rather than the fake CGI shots where you know the people are stationary with a screen behind them. I mean people drive in real cars down real highways all the time, right? How hard can this effect be? What is with the 3-D object creator? Two read lights creating something from nothing. I think I have seen something like this before. Thats right, it was Star Trek in the 24th century and they were called replicators. Seems kind of out of place and out of the realm of possibilities for Kitt right. I'm also kind of tired of all the transformations too. I'm still waiting for the episode where Kitt transforms into a robot and announces "I am Optimus Kitt". Good grief! I would like to see a show that wasn't so shiny and sleek and perfect where every situation has a gadget. Also, do away with all the video conferencing while driving down the highway. I know they are shooting for a whole world at their fingertips kind of show, but I miss the lonewolf man and machine Knight Rider of the past. It just seems that after all these years they could do better than what we are seeing now. Yes, we finally have a new Knight Rider series, but come on people. We deserve better and this new show owes it to the original to be better.

Not again.............. :roll:

hulkster
Stranger

Post by hulkster » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:51 pm

bson wrote:Yes, we finally have a new Knight Rider series, but come on people. We deserve better and this new show owes it to the original to be better.
My point exactly

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:08 pm

I will say that this episode was pretty "decent" & Ithink what the producers are doing for the beginning of this series are showing the stories with "lighter content" & I think that toward the mid-season episodes are going delve deep into more dark & heavy content within the story lines, that will probably take "KR'08" in a direction we all did not see coming.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:23 pm

bson wrote:Give me the old Knight Rider any day. The new show is so horribly bad that I don't know where to start. Say what you will about the old Michael Knight, but his performances were much better than the new one. This guy can't act and the lines are so bad that the acting seems even worse. I never thought I would say this, but stop people from stripping down all the time. If you want credibility, you can't do this every show. Considering how long ago the old Knight Rider was on, how is it possible that the new show looks so completey fake. The scenes of seeing people in cars do not look remotely realistic. At least try to make it look like the people in the cars are actually going down the road, rather than the fake CGI shots where you know the people are stationary with a screen behind them. I mean people drive in real cars down real highways all the time, right? How hard can this effect be? What is with the 3-D object creator? Two read lights creating something from nothing. I think I have seen something like this before. Thats right, it was Star Trek in the 24th century and they were called replicators. Seems kind of out of place and out of the realm of possibilities for Kitt right. I'm also kind of tired of all the transformations too. I'm still waiting for the episode where Kitt transforms into a robot and announces "I am Optimus Kitt". Good grief! I would like to see a show that wasn't so shiny and sleek and perfect where every situation has a gadget. Also, do away with all the video conferencing while driving down the highway. I know they are shooting for a whole world at their fingertips kind of show, but I miss the lonewolf man and machine Knight Rider of the past. It just seems that after all these years they could do better than what we are seeing now. Yes, we finally have a new Knight Rider series, but come on people. We deserve better and this new show owes it to the original to be better.
I Agree with this post.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Ahhh, Kitt34's post on the scantly clad women bores me.

Hey, I found a goof on Journey Into the End of Knight. It's during the EMP scene. You'll notice after KITT melt/disentrigrates the EMP off his hood, there are a couple of scene takes afterwards that shows he has it on, has it off, has it on, and then has it off again!

They do it on purpose, the producers. This stuff is fun to find!

GTiGirl
Rookie

Post by GTiGirl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Hello friends,

I've loved this episode, and makes me sad reading some comments of some people here. This new series has "feet to walk" and there are some very good job done. Stop saying bad things, if you don't like, simply don't watch! You don't bring back the old series by saying those negative things. If something is wrong, then give your opinions constructively :good:
Knight Rider Portugal: http://knightriderportugal.forumeiros.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bson
Volunteer

Post by bson » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:07 pm

Am I to understand that only positive comments on the show can be discussed. "Stop saying bad things" about the show. Well, when we see better, we will comment on it. You know there is such a thing as constructive critism. If you think someone is making an invalid comment, then tell them why exactly. The leave my show alone reason doesn't cut it. The sad thing is that regardless of what anyone here says, the shows are already made and waiting to be aired. Nothing anyone here says will change that. Yet, if the show is picked up for a second season, then maybe our comments could help shape what is to come. The fact is that most everyone here wants the show to succeed because we are fans of the old series. However, we will not be enough to keep this show going if so many say there is nothing wrong with it. I am not one to OOH! and AHH! over a show because it is shiny and neat and new. I leave that to the rest of the brain dead zombies out there who are confused by complex story lines and apparently, good acting. These are the people who watch shows because they are told by a network or some critic that the show is the greatest thing out there even if it hasn't aired yet. These people will not keep the show running. If you have watched the new episodes and think they are great and nothing is wrong, then the new Knight Rider is probably doomed. I watch the new Knight Rider hoping it will get better because I remember how great the original was when it first aired. I am still waiting for the new series to do what the original did, which was inspire my imagination.

HyperCaz
Rookie

Post by HyperCaz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:34 am

I get bored whenever Mike is on the screen. Sarah is slightly more interesting - oh and she kicks butt, thus making Mike look like a wimp. :twisted: I thought the bonnet screen was a bit odd, but probably safer than trying to squint through a HUD while driving lol. I foresee Kitt being used to scan and identity fingerprints in the near future. Perps should avoid touching him. :roll:

I think they're forcing the friendship thing between Kitt and Mike... it's not natural...but I do like the idea of Kitt watching movies in his spare time hehe.

Anyway, while I don't really like this show, I do get an absurd kick out of watching it. Will be tuning in next week and hoping for improvements like the ones we've already seen.
BEWARE: shipper alert

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:18 am

I find it funny that even the people who don't "like" this show, or don't "get it", are still watching it week to week. THIS SHOW WILL SUCCEED. It's because, even the naysayers, deep down love a good story, and this show has one. Week to week, we are gradually finding out more about Mike's "history". Val Kilmer's voice really seems to be evolving, as KITT should. The whole old west learning experience worked very well. The car is awsome, and kudos to the VFX team. I watched the behind the scenes video, and you guys reall do "get it". This episode felt like one from the original series. Love the desert scene, nice nod! :good:

:kitt: :karr:

HyperCaz
Rookie

Post by HyperCaz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:35 am

If it doesn't pick up its game, it won't succeed. I will watch it for amusement for a while, but if it doesn't improve you can bet I won't be watching. A good story? Hardly.

I agree that... some parts reminded me TOS episodes, especially the ones where there was some sort of drag race. Those street races happened enough in the original, but I can't help finding those ones more interesting than a CGI bash.
BEWARE: shipper alert

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:37 am

val kilmer needs to make his voice a liitle deeper so he can sound like KARR. i never said i hated the show, i like the show. it just needs some improvement in some areas
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:56 am

yep I like the show, but think it certainly has room for improvement.

One thing I don't understand, is this whole idea of Kitt being top secret and no-one can see his functions.

Whats that all about?

Part of what made TOS kewl was the reactions when other people saw Kitt turbo boost or they got into kitt and theiur jaws dropped open when they saw the dash.

I think it's one of the fundamental things of Knight Rider... and I'm still not convinced that the producers do actulaly "get it." there's still too many little things which just dont' quite reflect what Knight Rider should be.

They're getting there though... They really need to do somethign with the dash board.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:43 pm

I'd quite like KITT to go down the "Johnny 5" route (short circuit) where he randomly comes out with quotes and impressions from the adverts/TV....

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:12 pm

Well i must admit i really enjoyed it,i was just watching Knight Rider. I wasnt comparing it to the original,it was just a great episode.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:48 pm

DeeKnight wrote:Well i must admit i really enjoyed it,i was just watching Knight Rider. I wasnt comparing it to the original,it was just a great episode.
If more people would see this as what it is, a continuation of TOS. It's not the TOS, just watch it as KR the next generation, and you'll "get it". The show has done exceptionally well in the ratings, and THAT is why this show can and I feel, will succeed. It's all about the ratings, and mostly everybody I talk to is excited to watch this show next week. There's a lot of people that remember TOS, and those that don't because they were too young. This show has done well because it truly has something for everybody. 8)

:kitt: :karr:

rrussell641
Stranger

Post by rrussell641 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:36 pm

Does anyone<for the love of god>know the name of the song playing during Journey..Knight when Sarah mounts Mike on Kitts hood and kisses him? It starts off "safe in the arms that hold your every move".

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:41 pm

I tried to look it up earlier from the topic topic that was made about the music and didn't find anything, I'd guess it's a strictly production used song and not something commercially available..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:11 pm

:kittx: I'll say that KR08 leaves some room for improvement, but it is doing that. And it will continue to get better.
I liked the replicator thing. Very handy. Very cool. I also like KITT's taste in movies(John Wayne westerns). His
quick-witted quip to Mike was a fun reminder of KI2T's wit and personality. I think that as the show progresses,
they will raise their game in terms of episode plots and character development. KITT will also "grow" and learn.
Just watch & see. :kitt:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:33 pm

Knight94 wrote::kittx: I'll say that KR08 leaves some room for improvement, but it is doing that. And it will continue to get better.
I liked the replicator thing. Very handy. Very cool. I also like KITT's taste in movies(John Wayne westerns). His
quick-witted quip to Mike was a fun reminder of KI2T's wit and personality. I think that as the show progresses,
they will raise their game in terms of episode plots and character development. KITT will also "grow" and learn.
Actually I thought the replicator was a bit TOO sci-fi. At least transformation and Nano-tech is based on real world science. Replicators are complete fantasy.

Making_Waves_of_my_Own
Recruit

Post by Making_Waves_of_my_Own » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:47 am

I am hearing-impaired and use my eyes to supplement the residual hearing I have left. That being said, while I can hear the characters' voices, I can barely hear KITT's voice and thus must use closed-captioning to determine what KITT is saying in a scene. Not to critique Val Kilmer's voice, but I wish the voice itself was more distinctive, or perhaps with a higher pitch (because I am better at hearing higher frequencies). I could barely hear any of KITT's lines in this "Journey" episode as well as the others.

You guys know that I have been a longtime fan of Knight Rider. Even David Hasselhoff wrote to me and said that I am a true Knight Rider. Just check out my "One man can make a difference" letter that was published in Appendix I of his memoirs, "Don't Hassel the Hoff!" :D

Paul

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:22 am

"Burn rubber, KITT!"

"Burning rubber."

Sorry. I just had to laugh at how bad that corny line was...from next week's show. (That appears to be aiming at Baywatch appeal.)

Anyhow...just caught the rerun of this week's episode. Looking good. Shouldn't have split my attention between the computer and the TV, though. The show seemed to be semi-confusing without giving it more attention.

KITT's shell doing a monitor? KITT learning via entertainment sources? A couple of my very old ideas realized.

And, what's with the shell being able to blow apart a physical device? Sounds overly dangerous with the possibilities.

I see that converting mode exposes things. My same gripe with Viper. It's a chink in the armor. Enemy syncs up a rocket with a virus attack. Causes transformation and blows the car up at a gaping hole. Something along the lines of what Scotty once said. "The more complex they make things, the easier it is to gum up the whole works." KITT better learn to beef up some on-the-fly fire walls, stat. This world's a whole lot more dangerous then brainiac kids that can make Apple IIe's dance and sing and drive cars with a mere joystick.

On a side note, there was a fly by image of what appeared to be an old school light indicator. (Like those lights that were next to the toggle button on the original KITT dash.) Were the letters 'KRO' really written on it? Or, was I just seeing things? Is that a tribute to Neil's web site or TKR's Reformulation One or does it have another meaning?

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:43 am

Making_Waves_of_my_Own wrote:I am hearing-impaired and use my eyes to supplement the residual hearing I have left. That being said, while I can hear the characters' voices, I can barely hear KITT's voice and thus must use closed-captioning to determine what KITT is saying in a scene. Not to critique Val Kilmer's voice, but I wish the voice itself was more distinctive, or perhaps with a higher pitch (because I am better at hearing higher frequencies). I could barely hear any of KITT's lines in this "Journey" episode as well as the others.
I've dealt with the issue of not hearing KITT's voice myself; not so much in the second episode, as in the pilot and the first ep. But I think it's less of a problem with Kilmer and more with the sound department. Some voices are louder than others, some effects a bit toned down and the damn music tends to be a little too loud.

Rjaniz
Recruit

Post by Rjaniz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:09 am

Rockatteer wrote:
Knight94 wrote::kittx: I'll say that KR08 leaves some room for improvement, but it is doing that. And it will continue to get better.
Actually I thought the replicator was a bit TOO sci-fi. At least transformation and Nano-tech is based on real world science. Replicators are complete fantasy.
Except this technology exists now. Not to the extent that Knight Rider is using it, but there are 3D printers.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:25 am

Here's a question..

Why didn't Kitt micro lock the brakes of Shawn's SUV before it went over the cliff?

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:34 am

Rockatteer wrote:Here's a question..

Why didn't Kitt micro lock the brakes of Shawn's SUV before it went over the cliff?
Because KI3T didn't have the Micro Jam function?

I seriously think the writers should watch every episode of KR:TOS and make a list of all the features KI2T had. Then they can implement it on KI3T without forgetting anything. At this point, they forget everything other than Turbo Boost and the Laser (no Ski Mode, Oil Slick, etc but maybe we'll see it in another episode).
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good: