Kitt's roof in the 2 first episodes of the 4th season

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MIKAEL
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Kitt's roof in the 2 first episodes of the 4th season

Post by MIKAEL » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi everybody!! I watched this week the 2 first episodes of the 4th season, and I saw a thing which I'm not sure. When Kitt has been destroyed by the big monster of metal, the pic what we can see just at the end of the first episode and at the begin of the second, Kitt hasn't T-Tops. It's a normal roof, can somebody say me if Kitt has really a normal roof, or T-Tops. Thanks for your answers.
KITT will stay forever in my heart, i was 8 years old when i saw him for the first time, and i didn't leaved him since. I am develloping my version of SKAR. I would like to give him an AI, it will be great, if i could make it.

KnightRidergirl89
Volunteer

Re: Kitt's roof in the 2 first episodes of the 4th season

Post by KnightRidergirl89 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:03 pm

MIKAEL wrote:It's a normal roof, can somebody say me if Kitt has really a normal roof, or T-Tops. Thanks for your answers.
Hi, i have KR season 1 and 2 and Kitt has T-top and i think Kitt really has T-top..but i'm not very sure...

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:42 pm

During all four seasons, Kitt does have t-tops. However, the car that was destroyed by the Juggernaut didn't, presumably so that the damage could look more sinister than a bunch of blown out windows surrounding Michael. Also the SPM Kitt didn't have t-tops either as it had the functioning EBS panels aboard including the roof panel. However, both non t-top cars were modified with a central ridge to make them appear as though they did have t-tops at a glance.

From Matthew
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:53 pm

In the end of the episode. The car was a hardtop. With the damages beign real and the car being an actual screen car that was destroyed. Look closely and you'll see the roof is pushed in.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:09 pm

I think the car was a hard top for the stunt man safety reason's, they really couldn't smash up t-tops and have them come down on the driver w/o him getting hurt so they used a hard top. Hard tops were uses a lot threw out the series, if you look closely in some eps. you can see where the glued plastic molding down the center of the roof to give the appearance of t-tops on a hard top.

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:55 am

I noticed that they used a hard top on the 2nd season episode: Soul Survivor. During the scene when the kid is controlling KITT to turbo boost over a car there is a camera angle that lets you see the road from KITT's roof top and I noticed that the roof was a hard top and it had a ridge glued along the middle to make it look as if it was a t-top. pretty cool.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I want to know in the fourth season when kitt is a convertable how could he have t-tops and does anybody have any good pictures of SPM kitt and Convertable Kitt. I don't know if Kitt would have liked being a convertable in a way because in Soul Survivor when Michael is driving the Red Mercedes Michael says to Kitt "Its kind of fun driving with the top down" and Kitt replies "All the wind and dust in your face and being sunburned" (something like that). I really don't see the point of michael driving Kitt as a convertable because somebody could easy shoot him while he drives past if he has the roof closed he is completly protected. Also with K.I.T.T's T-tops when the Auto Roof is pressed they open up vertically did the origional trans am do that or was the situation with the t-tops that you needed to take them off and put them in the boot or something (TRANSLATE: Aus English = boot US english = trunk)
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:24 pm

James_kr wrote:Also with K.I.T.T's T-tops when the Auto Roof is pressed they open up vertically did the origional trans am do that or was the situation with the t-tops that you needed to take them off and put them in the boot or something (TRANSLATE: Aus English = boot US english = trunk)
Its the latter explanation that is correct. In real life you manually take the t-tops off and store them in the trunk.

89 formula
Recruit

Post by 89 formula » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:25 am

I recently learned that in the 4th season they started using miniature RC controlled replicas for some of the more dangerous stunts. I've actually seen one of the original replicas at a local auto museum (they occasionally have pictures of it at volocars.com).

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:54 pm

89 formula wrote:I recently learned that in the 4th season they started using miniature RC controlled replicas for some of the more dangerous stunts. I've actually seen one of the original replicas at a local auto museum (they occasionally have pictures of it at volocars.com).
Actually I think they started to use the miniatures in season 2. There are definitely some scenes you can really notice it. A perfect example is in Silent Knight when KITT is driving on the train tracks. You can tell it's a model.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:49 am

wow, I never knew about the hard top/fake-Ttops.

Many times I saw the central ridge where the T-tops were meant to join in the middle. Never realised it was a fake!

Gonna be watching those eps like a hawke from now on :lol:

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:58 pm

A hard top has a stronger body and therefore more suitable for stunts

MIKAEL
Volunteer

Post by MIKAEL » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Ok, thanks a lot for your answers, my friends, and sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm french, but I've join the forum because I'm a big fan, and we can learn a lot of things about the movie.
KITT will stay forever in my heart, i was 8 years old when i saw him for the first time, and i didn't leaved him since. I am develloping my version of SKAR. I would like to give him an AI, it will be great, if i could make it.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:52 pm

James_kr wrote:I want to know in the fourth season when kitt is a convertable how could he have t-tops and does anybody have any good pictures of SPM kitt and Convertable Kitt. I don't know if Kitt would have liked being a convertable in a way because in Soul Survivor when Michael is driving the Red Mercedes Michael says to Kitt "Its kind of fun driving with the top down" and Kitt replies "All the wind and dust in your face and being sunburned" (something like that). I really don't see the point of michael driving Kitt as a convertable because somebody could easy shoot him while he drives past if he has the roof closed he is completly protected. Also with K.I.T.T's T-tops when the Auto Roof is pressed they open up vertically did the origional trans am do that or was the situation with the t-tops that you needed to take them off and put them in the boot or something (TRANSLATE: Aus English = boot US english = trunk)