What Russian people think about David

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ilana
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What Russian people think about David

Post by ilana » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:40 am

Hello to everybody!
Recently I had an interesting chat with some Russian guys about David Hasselhoff. I was wondering why David is so unpopular in Russia and decided to ask guys from one Russian board devoted to cinema and video. Their answer was very surprising for me. It turned out that they think "Baywatch" is indecent because of the girls, wearing swimsuits! And they do not belive that the TV-series are so popular.
The next their reason is that David is a bad actor, because he did not get a lot of awards (B category). It seems, a lot of Russian people think in the way.
So I thought out that I could make a poll to show that David is still have a lot of fans. I thoght it would be interesting for you to know and I also would like to know your opinion about the poll. Would you vote for Daviod if I make it?
Best wishes!
Ilana. :)

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:41 am

Yeah, I would vote for D. Hasselhoff in your poll, Ilana.
There are people here in the U.S. who feel the same way that Russians do, but I'm sure that there are those in Russia who are fans of D. Hasselhoff, but are afraid to admit it, too.
Hopefully you'll do some more good artwork, too.

Arroww'
Operative

Post by Arroww' » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:45 am

Very interesting.....I didn't think Hasselohoff was not popoular in Russia! :o :?

"Baywatch" is indecent because of the girls, wearing swimsuits"
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Russians are so moralists? :roll: :D
Last edited by Arroww' on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:19 pm

It's hard to believe, but when Knight Rider was on the air the Cold War was still going on and Americans lived in fear of the Soviet Union. (As I'm sure they feared us.) Tensions were still high when Baywatch first came on the air. Since the U.S. and Russia didn't have much of a cultural exchange back then, shows like KR and Baywatch must even today seem kind of unusual.

Maybe it's not that Russians think Hasselhoff is "bad", it's just that the cultural differences make it difficult to understand his appeal. Even we Americans don't seem to understand him!

It's strange but appropriate that Hasselhoff was performing at the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

89 formula
Recruit

Post by 89 formula » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:36 pm

I agree that the cultural differences may play some part in how KR was received, but probably not in a negative way. I can relate personally, because, as a kid, I emigrated to the US right in the middle of the first KR season from an Eastern European country. I was hooked on the show since the first episode I saw. My first impression was "Wow, they have cars that talk here!!!!!" :D

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 pm

M-m-m I do not know if it's a good idea to make a poll. First I wanted to do it, but some my friends told me that it was a bad idea. So I probably will not do it. But it's dificult for me to explaine why so many people in Russia think in the way. Of cause, I know that there are a lot of people who do not like David, say, in US, also But I have met only a few Russian fans of David during 4 years... It's a bit sad for me.
On the other hand, it has it's advantages. :lol:

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:26 pm

Don't let anyone stop you from doing your poll, since it might turn out to be fun!
I've liked D.H. since 1983 officially(and since 1979 unofficially), and despite his cheesy image, in many ways I still find D.Hasselhoff interesting, even if some people don't, and it's only their opinions anyhow.
I hope D.H. has a great world tour in 2006......

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:02 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:It's hard to believe, but when Knight Rider was on the air the Cold War was still going on and Americans lived in fear of the Soviet Union. (As I'm sure they feared us.) Tensions were still high when Baywatch first came on the air. Since the U.S. and Russia didn't have much of a cultural exchange back then, shows like KR and Baywatch must even today seem kind of unusual.

Maybe it's not that Russians think Hasselhoff is "bad", it's just that the cultural differences make it difficult to understand his appeal. Even we Americans don't seem to understand him!

It's strange but appropriate that Hasselhoff was performing at the fall of the Berlin Wall.
An excellent point. I'd also say, however, that America is more of a country concerned with style over substance, and because of that, "cheese" is viewed at harshly. Of course, we can look back at '80s shows like Knight Rider, The A-Team and The Dukes Of Hazzard and call those "cheesy," but that's just a reflection of changing times.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:18 am

Uh, Ilana, I think it's your choice whether or not to have an online poll concerning D. Hasselhoff, so if you don't want to have an online poll about D. Hasselhoff, that's fine with me.
I think most Americans are more about trashy style and little substance, and I'm not one to join in on that mindset at all, though....
Also, I don't think D.H. is that cheesy at all; I think he's normal compared to those other famous people who are cheesy personified, but I won't get any further into that right now.