KITT

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Red Leader
Stranger

KITT

Post by Red Leader » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:10 pm

What type of car is KITT exactly?

rulloa81
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by rulloa81 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:51 pm

•a trans- am.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:08 am

KITT is a highly customized 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with t-tops. Customized parts include the front bumper with scanner, rear blacked-out plexiglass tail light cover, highly modified dashboard with full digital electonic readouts. The engine has also been replaced with a higher output Chevy V8 since the stock Crossfire V8 is a bit of a slouch in performance.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:40 am

And lets not forget the "story" customizations: KITT's AI system (voice by William Daniels), and the tons of features KITT had, and the supposed Knight Industries TurboJet engine with modified afterburners and 8-speed computerized transmission... Too many features to list.

These days, SOME of these things are actually becoming more and more possible. But modifying those earlier model cars does take a lot of work as some replica builders can tell you.

Also I think they used 1983, and 1984 cars for KITT during the season, didn't they? And of course the modified SPM/Convertable version...

Now, if you ever take a look at the later model Pontiac Firebird Forumulas, you'll see a striking similarity in the nose/bumer to that of KITT's. ;) Possibly Pontiac's "soft" answer to "WE WANT KITT" requests they kept getting, making them ask the producers to please stop calling the car a Trans Am or even noting it's a Pontiac?

I'm hearing rumors of a 2007 Pontiac Trans Am coming out... Only rumors. I can only hope...

KARR77
Recruit

Post by KARR77 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:42 am

would be nice if they did bring back the TA for 07, but who knows, all depends on GM pretty much.
"if i die i'll take you with me" me

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:38 am

FuzzieDice wrote:Also I think they used 1983, and 1984 cars for KITT during the season, didn't they? And of course the modified SPM/Convertable version...
I believe all that was used were 1982 and 1983 models. I believe the Super Pursuit Mode car was built off of a 1983 model and possibly the Convertible Mode car as well. Not exactly sure which one or both. The Hero Car was an '82 1/2, which was one of the first to roll off the assembly line.

Although, I'm not sure if they used an entirely different Hero Car for seasons 3 & 4, or if they simply used the same car but modified the dashboard and nose. It would seem more practical to me to just build it out of a new car, with all of the vehicles that were donated to the show.
FuzzieDice wrote:Now, if you ever take a look at the later model Pontiac Firebird Forumulas, you'll see a striking similarity in the nose/bumer to that of KITT's. ;) Possibly Pontiac's "soft" answer to "WE WANT KITT" requests they kept getting, making them ask the producers to please stop calling the car a Trans Am or even noting it's a Pontiac?
I'm probably in the minority here, but I have to say that I've always hated those rounded noses with a passion. I always thought it ruined the car, but that's just me. The wrap-around "wing" spoiler I didn't like either, and for whatever reason Pontiac decided to keep that feature for the 4th generation models. Not a fan of those ground effects either. I prefer the '82-'84 models the most, because that's what I always see underneath the changes made in the later models.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:45 pm

I'm not a fan of rounded looks either. But the formulas I have to say looked pretty sharp even so (in my opinion). That and the VW punch buggies are the only 'rounded' cars I really cared for. Everything else that's rounded is just a jellybean. ;)

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:12 pm

Okay but still how can KITT be so many different cars? Firebird,, trans-am, formula? I know they are all pretty much the same car but do they really ever say which one he is? I perfer the T/A just because that was the top of the line for those type. Right? I think

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:05 am

hot knight wrote: I know they are all pretty much the same car but do they really ever say which one he is?
In the pilot episode where KITT turbo-boosted over (or through, can't remember) a semi-truck trailer, an awe-stricken man who saw KITT commented "Pontiac!". I can't remember if they ever referred to KITT as a Trans Am or Firebird after that in the series. Probably not.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:11 am

Aaactually, the Pontiac quip came in the episode "Inside Out" when KITT speeds (and turbo boosts) by two cops.

That was one of the few if not only times anyone mentioned "Pontiac" in the show. The rest of the times in the first season, we heard "Trans Am"

And of course we know GM kindly asked NBC and Universal to not refer to KITT a Trans Am due to fans demanding their very own KITT.

-Scott

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:21 am

K.I.T.T. says in the episode "Trust Doesn't Rust" that K.A.R.R. is going to "give Trans Am a bad name."

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:32 am

Scott Kirkessner wrote:Aaactually, the Pontiac quip came in the episode "Inside Out" when KITT speeds (and turbo boosts) by two cops.

That was one of the few if not only times anyone mentioned "Pontiac" in the show. The rest of the times in the first season, we heard "Trans Am"

And of course we know GM kindly asked NBC and Universal to not refer to KITT a Trans Am due to fans demanding their very own KITT.

-Scott
Thanks for the clarification, I can't really remember the details since I don't own the DVDs yet. But yeah, its kinda cool when KITT is referred to his normal stock Trans Am version. Kinda pays homage to the company that made the real car (Pontiac).

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:07 am

I have the 1982 Pontiac commercial that advertises/introduces the new style Pontiac Firebird. There were 3 models:

The Firebird base model, which I believe may have come also with a 4-cyl. Iron Duke engine (what my Pontiac 6000 has - VERY sturdy and reliable engine!) and NO spoiler or decals/decorations.

The Firebird SE, which had a more luxury style, heavier engine I believe (I think the 2.8L V6 or 3100/3800 may have been used, I don't remember) and MAYBE a spoiler (I forgot).

The Firebird Trans Am, the sporty edition, which had side vents, rear deck spoiler, GM Crossfire V8 Engine. Built for speed. :) THIS is the car that was used for KITT in the series - the Trans Am version (note the side vents, spoiler).

Dave Knight, if he's lurking in this topic, can probably give a more accurate account of the different models that were available in 1982. I was too lazy to go re-view the commercial when I typed this in. :)

Later on, like in 2000 or so, (maybe earlier), the Pontiac came out with things like the Firebird Formula, and new body styling (ie. "4th gen" where KITT was always the 3rd Gen. 2nd Generation Firebirds were the style like "Trigger" in Smokey and the Bandit).

Man, I hope I got my Firebird details right. :) Then later came the Recaro versions, etc. Pontiac came out with many different types of Firebirds: Firebird (base model), Firebird SE, Firebird Trans Am (one of the most popular Firebirds), Firebird Forumla, Recaro version of Firebird. But all technically are Firebirds so technically, KITT IS a Pontiac Firebird. Trans Am is just the style. Like Dryden (my Pontiac 6000) is the base model, but they also had the Pontiac 6000 LE (aka "Gooole"), Pontiac 6000 SE (aka "Gooose") and Pontiac 6000 STE (with rear deck spoiler), not to mention AWD (all wheel drive) models. BTW, Dryden's spoiler was an after-thought. He's a base-model 6000, and I put the spoiler on that I bought from someone in a car forum. The spoiler came from a 6000 STE and is slightly SMALLER width-wise than the base model trunk. But my neighbor and I got it to fit centered good anyway. :)

Now, as for the show, they NEVER called either KARR nor KITT a "Firebird" which is interesting becuase that is what they were - Firebirds.

In the Pilot, the time they mentioned "Trans Am" is when the guy was telling the truck driver to be on the lookout for "a black Trans Am". KITT and Michael turboboosted THROUGH the Truck. KITT: "You're not going to do what I think you're going to do. Oh my word, you ARE going to do what I think you're going to do!" :) In other words, it even gave KITT the willies! :lol:

In Trust Doesn't Rust, KITT says "That other car is going to give Trans Am a terrible reputation." After they heard KARR's escapades at the Ringmaster Drive-Through.

In Iniside-Out, when the show opens, Michael is fighting the guy that got loose so he could contain him and get him locked in a trailer that the foundation set up to contain him, so Michael could take his place to bust the ringleader of a band of millitant theives. KITT was admonishing Michael for hitting his steering wheel during the fight (KITT was driving) and telling Michael to just finish the guy off. Then admonishes Michael for shouting at him to open the auto-roof, saying he can hear him just fine. :) Before Michael gets to that point, KITT speeds past two road-side Cops, who notice he's speeding and when they get out to look, KITT jumps a ways on the road past them. One cop goes "What WAS that?" and the other cop, just as incredilous, says "A Pontiac!". :) I always thought that scene would make a PERFECT Pontiac commercial. :lol:

Ozzy
Volunteer

Post by Ozzy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:55 pm

I think KITT is a very good example of a good prop!!! Futuristic, and lets, face it, cooooool (still looks better than my car).
In my opinion, they could not get a batter car. The Dukes 1968 thingy was a cheap option (jump & crash), but the TA was excellent.
Take a look in the Glove Compartment?

ad227529
Rookie

Post by ad227529 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:09 pm

FuzzieDice wrote: Now, if you ever take a look at the later model Pontiac Firebird Forumulas, you'll see a striking similarity in the nose/bumer to that of KITT's. ;) Possibly Pontiac's "soft" answer to "WE WANT KITT" requests they kept getting, making them ask the producers to please stop calling the car a Trans Am or even noting it's a Pontiac?

I'm hearing rumors of a 2007 Pontiac Trans Am coming out... Only rumors. I can only hope...
actually they changed the nose to the rounded one in comprimise to the Banshee. since it didnt make it to production, they changed the nose to make the trans am look more like the banshee. then they changed the whole body style in '93 i believe to make the whole car look more like it.

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:57 pm

Thanks everyone!!!I never knew that a T/a was a firebird type