AOL's T.V's Most Famous Car Stars

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

AOL's T.V's Most Famous Car Stars

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:27 pm

I logged on and saw this. http://www.aol.com/autos/article/2.adp
Then I saw the link for KITT http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/topte ... artner=aol

They basically said that KITT was a creation of Barris. Wow, they couldn't be anymore wrong. :roll: But, i'll give them credit for explaining the show.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:33 am

No herbie?? :cry:

Knight Girl

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:37 am

Cool writeup though on KITT. And they mentioned KARR! w00t! :)

I read the one about the Munster Koach. Grandpa Munster also had a different car called "Dragula" at one time, I think. Koach I think is the family car of sorts. :)

In fact, I think that's what Rob Zombie wrote the song "Dragula" about on his H3llbilly Deluxe album. :) Rob Zombie is a big horror movie fan.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:09 am

"We arranged our list of cars according to the show's longevity, ranking them based on the number of episodes that were broadcast. To ensure the most accurate count possible, we researched online episode guides such as epguides.com, TV.com and the Internet Movie Database."

"Number Of Episodes: 90"

It's 84 episodes. Unless they're counting the episodes based on syndication, where each 2-hour show is cut in half. (Which still wouldn't equal 90.) Even still, they should go by the original airings.

As for the references to Barris creating K.I.T.T., I'll let it slide this time because they're talking about the Super Pursuit Mode car, which he did actually build. And surprisingly, the aritcle is pretty accurate; the author did his homework.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Re: AOL's T.V's Most Famous Car Stars

Post by KITTfan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:01 am

TurbomanKnight wrote: They basically said that KITT was a creation of Barris. Wow, they couldn't be anymore wrong. :roll: But, i'll give them credit for explaining the show.
I've read Barris didn't create the original KITT, Michael Scheffe did but I remember reading an article that said the later KITT modifications were made by Universal and maybe it was Barris that did those later modifications? And then for 4th season of course the SPM & Convertible modes.
Or am I completely wrong with this thought?

-KITTfan-

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:45 am

Michael Scheffe did the original car. Barris designed the SPM and convertable cars.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: AOL's T.V's Most Famous Car Stars

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:39 am

KITTfan wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote: They basically said that KITT was a creation of Barris. Wow, they couldn't be anymore wrong. :roll: But, i'll give them credit for explaining the show.
I've read Barris didn't create the original KITT, Michael Scheffe did but I remember reading an article that said the later KITT modifications were made by Universal and maybe it was Barris that did those later modifications? And then for 4th season of course the SPM & Convertible modes.
Or am I completely wrong with this thought?

-KITTfan-
The bottom line is that Barris did not create K.I.T.T. He created the Super Pursuit Mode car and the Convertible Mode car because of Glen Larson's request. This is a case of a man with an extensive résumé of Hollywood vehicles that just wasn't enough for him. He had to have credit for EVERYTHING. And to do that, he found loopholes in finding ways to get people to think he created cars he didn't.

Rather than being a decent person and being honest about his legacy (I'll give him that much; he did create a lot of classics after all), he had to be greedy about it. Unfortunately for me, this overshadows all of his accomplishments. I really wish I could have the opportunity to ask him point-blank about his deceptions concerning namely KITT and the Back To the Future DeLorean. What, does he think that since he created most of those cars that it justifies him getting away with deception? Well, apparently to EVERY SINGLE reporter that interviews this guy, it does. I guess they all have to "play the game" and brown-nose the guy for something good to publish.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:11 am

When are these people going to the realize that the General Lee has NOTHIN on K.I.T.T.?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:16 am

really. i'm glad they at least mentioned KITT! KITT and KARR deserve it after all ^_^
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/