Probably already been mentioned about the semi...

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:35 pm

We do. He's an alloy that ends up the Molecular Bonded Shell because the MBS changes the composition of what it touches it seems.

KI

KnightRiderFanUK
Stranger

Post by KnightRiderFanUK » Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:55 pm

I happen to agree wih SadArticle about the way the books 'flesh out' the storylines. I much prefer reading Hearts of Stone than watching it. Maybe now because I can create Kitt's feats in my minds eye without nitpicking ('there's the ramp', 'that's stock footage' etc...).

Unfortuanetly, that's the only one I have. I was lent a box set of the first three books about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I gave them back (!) to the owner who I have since lost contact with, and I've been looking for them ever since.

I would also say that the books aren't canon, but in many ways I wish the TV show was more like the books.

That's probably a massive can of worms opened.... <g>

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:57 pm

*watches little worm go crawling across the floor*

Heck, I like the books too. Like all books, it puts me and my minds eye in the middle of the action. ;)

KI

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:38 pm

knightimmortal wrote: The creator didn't have KARR created in the first place. But when TDR came up, he went and created back history that went over his own thoughts and principles. Originally, Larson did want KITT to be Michael's car, but then KARR existed, so that sort of screwed up what Larson wanted from his very own pilot episode. Same thing about Garthe. Originally, Michael was supposed to look like a young Wilton, then some script writer came up with Garthe. Glen Larson wrote to try to make up some history to comply, but it went against his initial wishes that were on the screen.

So, no, it doesn't feature the creator's original vision, and the books are still not canon.

KI

I see your point about the series as 'canon', because, as I said, Knight Rider was intended as a television show, not a series of books. But I just think that the books should be taken with a little more than the proverbial pinch of salt, as Glen Larson's version of his characters. For 'Trust Doesn't Rust' and 'Goliath', it could be seen that the scriptwriters were playing with Larson's 'canon', or his original conception of the show. Hence why Devon's line in the pilot about Michael looking like Wilton as a young man jarred with the appearance of Garthe (unless Wilton was also a double of his son, and aged badly :wink: ).

You are right about 'canonised' works and 'fan fiction' in general, as with the Star Trek novelisations (written by independent authors not involved with the original project). Knight Rider is slightly different, though, as the creator had more to do with the novelisations than the actual series - entirely his own choice, but still - and the novelisations were therefore more along the lines of what he envisioned.

What am I talking about? This is Knight Rider, for heaven's sake! :D

So, no, not technically 'canon', but still valid. I think Mike's definition fits what I'm after.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:42 pm

Fine. Nobody listens to me anyway.

Everybody just thinks I am an idiot anyway.

I know nothing.

Screw it all. Congrats, Mike, you win. You all win.

KI

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:51 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Fine. Nobody listens to me anyway.

Everybody just thinks I am an idiot anyway.

I know nothing.

Screw it all.

KI
People do listen, Knightimmortal. Mike listened, and agreed with you. I listened, and thought you had a point. I was reversing over my point, and trying to make it look as though I wasn't.

No, the novelisations are not 'canon', as Knight Rider was created initially for the television, giving the scripts more authority.

It was a sad little debate, because Knight Rider doesn't deserve the term 'canon', usually associated with classical works of literature, anyway.

Nobody thinks you are an idiot, and topics on this board shouldn't get to the point where you think that. In the scheme of things, whether or not the scripts or the books are gospel is what doesn't matter.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:07 pm

Nothing matters anymore. It doesn't.

KI