Michael's watch

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Tony
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Michael's watch

Post by Tony » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:10 pm

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows what brand or the name of the watch Michael Knight had on his wrist in the first three seasons of Knight Rider ??

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:50 pm

not sure, but I don't think it was a name brand, probably a custom job. It always reminded me of those old techy casio watches with the itty bitty keypad.

there was a photo of it in my deck of knight rider trading cards, knightrider.nl has a copy of the netherlands edition that might be interesting to see.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:02 am

i actually had the same watch when i was younger. i can't disclose any more info though, lol.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:05 pm

Ok Skav!! You cant stop there!!!! Come on ,you know you want to!

K.I.T.T

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:09 pm

a company just released a wrist watch communicator:

http://www.xactcommunication.com/

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:13 pm

You mean the government finally released their fun out to the private sector?

Oh, wait, I think I remember last year, a wrist watch communicator was going for like $399 last year from one of those gadget catologues.

knightimmortal

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:04 pm

Thanks guys for help
I have one that is just like it.. But I took it apart when I was
younger and I am missing the LCD screen for it.. But nowhere
on the watch does it say who made it.. :(
So now I am looking for one just like it again.. All I know
it's a radio watch..

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:09 pm

Yeah, i remember they showed one of those communicators on Tech TV last year, but like KI said, it was goin for a really high price. This one doesnt look that bad, but i dunno how good it can be for 50 bucks. It definately looks very cool though.

DONUGHTBOY
Stranger

Post by DONUGHTBOY » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:49 pm

its a little off topic, but i was watching a episode a few days ago, and micheal was held hostage, and kitt was trying to get in touch. I think he was saying something like, micheal, i can hear you, but you cannot hear me.... what was the point in saying it then??? !!! :D

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:26 pm

knight rider sure was ahead of their time..

pretty soon they'll have talking cars... with personalities.

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT431
Recruit

Post by KITT431 » Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:35 pm

I think that episode was Ring of Fire. Was it the one when Michael was hurt and K.I.T.T. was caught in the lake and flooded?

Mich Knight
Volunteer

Post by Mich Knight » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:38 am

KITT wrote:knight rider sure was ahead of their time..

pretty soon they'll have talking cars... with personalities.

KITT
lol. I Hope to have a Driver's License Before they do. I'd Like to Get one that Looks Just Like KITT *L*

That's If They Do that.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:04 pm

From the looks of the image you posted, Neil, it might be a customized version of one of those wristwatch radios they would sell out of Popular Science magazines back in the '80s. If I can find the pic to scan and post, I'll try and do it. Basically, with those two dials at the bottom of Michael's watch, one would be the volume control, and the other would be the tuner.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:27 pm

KITT431 wrote:I think that episode was Ring of Fire. Was it the one when Michael was hurt and K.I.T.T. was caught in the lake and flooded?
I think he's referring to "A Plush Ride". Michael is captured and he lets KITT listen in on the bad guys' plan so that KITT will know to cooperate with them. They want to stage a car accident for Michael, but they can't get inside KITT. Once KITT understands, he lets them in.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:54 pm

DONUGHTBOY wrote:its a little off topic, but i was watching a episode a few days ago, and micheal was held hostage, and kitt was trying to get in touch. I think he was saying something like, micheal, i can hear you, but you cannot hear me.... what was the point in saying it then??? !!! :D
Was that one 'Knightmares'? The 'alidium' stored in the dam was interfering with the comlink's reception.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:14 am

JL wrote:From the looks of the image you posted, Neil, it might be a customized version of one of those wristwatch radios they would sell out of Popular Science magazines back in the '80s. If I can find the pic to scan and post, I'll try and do it. Basically, with those two dials at the bottom of Michael's watch, one would be the volume control, and the other would be the tuner.
Following up on what I posted above...

Here are two scans of the "radio watch", from the June 1982 issue of Popular Science. I know off the bat the pics are gonna eat up waaaaay too much of Neil's bandwidth, so I'll just post the links here:

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~jg95/graph ... atch02.gif
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~jg95/graph ... atch03.gif

And the trading card of the actual comlink that Neil borrowed from knightrider.nl's site:

http://www.knightrider.nl/images/cards/094.JPG

I think it's pretty definitive now... Michael may not necessarily have been wearing the "Advance" brand, but it was something similar that the prop department suitably modified to look like the comlink we've come to know and love. :)

(as a side note, some of you might find it interesting that this same issue of PS had a comparison of the 1982 Camaro, Mustang, and T/A... the T/A came out on top, of course! :))

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:44 am

SadArticle wrote:
DONUGHTBOY wrote:its a little off topic, but i was watching a episode a few days ago, and micheal was held hostage, and kitt was trying to get in touch. I think he was saying something like, micheal, i can hear you, but you cannot hear me.... what was the point in saying it then??? !!! :D
Was that one 'Knightmares'? The 'alidium' stored in the dam was interfering with the comlink's reception.

Sarah
Na, it was in 'A plush ride' when Michael is in the room with the two assasins he transmits to KITT so he can hear what the bad guys are saying, becuase he wants him to co-operate with them so he can get back inside KITT.

scott

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:41 pm

Do you think they got the idea from Dick Tracy for the CommLink?

Dave

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:37 pm

KITT431 wrote:I think that episode was Ring of Fire. Was it the one when Michael was hurt and K.I.T.T. was caught in the lake and flooded?
yeah it was ring of fire
K.I.T.T.'s systems were malfunctioning and he couldnt transmit or receive...not sure which one,and michael was in that cabin where he was kept after being attacked by those dogs...

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:57 am

David Whiteheart wrote:Do you think they got the idea from Dick Tracy for the CommLink?

Dave
Maybe, but not necessarily. They also used wrist communicators in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and I'm sure that someone around here who's seen more movies than I have could think of a few other examples.

Plus does anyone know how long the Secret Service has been using wrist communicators? I know we see them being used in recent films/TV shows like The West Wing, Independence Day, and The American President, but does anyone know if they were in use back in the '80s?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:09 pm

The Secret Service has been using wrist communicators since at least the 60's that I know of.

KI

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:04 pm

Newcastle knight wrote: Na, it was in 'A plush ride' when Michael is in the room with the two assasins he transmits to KITT so he can hear what the bad guys are saying, becuase he wants him to co-operate with them so he can get back inside KITT.

scott
Yep, that's the right piece for the quote jigsaw. There's just so many overlapping threads in Knight Rider ... Once again, I really need to watch some episodes again! :wink:

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:09 pm

picture doesn't work...

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:31 am

According to the novel version of the KR pilot, the communications link watch that Michael wore was suppose to be capable of doing much more than telling time and offering vocal contact. It could do lots of stuff, (I don't remember how much, off hand) like including a full function calculator. Which means that it's intended look had an entire front face control panel.

It's also interesting to note that according to the second novel, Devon also had one of these communication link watches.