1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:45 am

The small square holes at the outer edge of the bowling ball caps are colored silver on the model. The actual wheels on KITT are also colored silver but the deepness of those holes make them totally black when seen from a distance. Since the model's holes are not as deep as the ones on the actual car, the shadowy effect is non-existent. Painting those square holes black will greatly improve the model's looks.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:28 am

well the main thing is the recessed areas should be black or at least drilled out cause the real turbine style rims have square holes in the bottom of the wheels to allow cooling to the brakes. the one thing i see thats wrong is they are more like a satin chrome (dulled down chrome) real kitt rims are alluminum. what i plan on doing is since i saw that the prototype car the hubcaps are seperate pieces from the rim. im gonna

1: take the wheels off the axels, and then remove the tires from the rims
2: remove the hubcap from the rim and put it aside.
3: paint the whole rim satin black (trust me on this :wink: )
4: after the paint dries, paint the rim outer part and the ridges alluminum, let dry and re attach hubcaps to rim
5: re mount tires, and re mount wheels to axels.

This is what i did basically to my KITT models except the hubcaps are part of the rim :x . so after i paintd the rim satin black i sprayed off a coat or two of gloss and THEN painted the rim spokes and edge alluminum. I plan on doing several minor paint applications to my KITT including removing the interior of the car and repainting the tan plastic Dark Tan which is the same color i painted the interior of my KITT model cars. ill then re paint the black parts satin black to match the dash and consoles which will be masked prior to painting (dont want to get paint on those lovely details :D )
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:26 am

Before I painted my rims, I tried to remove the bowling ball cap from the wheel with a micro screwdriver. It didn't budge...I couldn't force it too much without damaging the cap. So I abandoned the idea. I hope you have better luck, Dave Knight.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:19 am

my kitt finally arrived.

lovely lookin piece...havin trouble unscrewin him from the silver base though, one of the screws is screwed right in and just won't budge. so got someone else to have a go soon.

the scanner is cool, although the cutting out effect at each end does bother me some.

but on the whole, for the money, you can't go wrong.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:29 pm

Did you get yours from diecastmart from that bad ebay seller everyone is waiting for?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:52 pm

no, private sale from someone on ebay..in the UK.

but there is BAD news...i broke the wing mirror (dont ask), causing some of the paint to chip and the actual MIRROR reflective part to also chip.

gonna get some gloss black to paint the outer black shell but i have a question........anyway i can repair the actual mirror?

what is it made of? what's the best way to go about it?

i'm off now to get my gloss.

cheers.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:03 pm

I bought my car off of eBay on that auction that alot of us purchased, and I haven't posted anything negative about him because I don't think it was right necessarily. If the item comes in as crap and he wont repair it, then I'll complain, but a few days delay, I'm okay with as long as the product arrives here complete and in tact.

According to the tracking number he provided, the product is in NJ and should be here at my office tomorrow, so we'll see if I'll change my views. Right now I'm just thinking positive.

KnightShark
Stranger

Post by KnightShark » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:58 pm

Hello everyone, i too ordered my Kitt from diecastmart. I used buy it now on dec 6th and had the smae tracking # issues. However my Kitt arrived today in excellent condition, and I am very pleased! Hang in there guys...

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:47 pm

Skav wrote:but there is BAD news...i broke the wing mirror (dont ask), causing some of the paint to chip and the actual MIRROR reflective part to also chip.
Hey Skav, looks like you've had the same instance as me. Did you just brush it lightly with your finger or something and it broke off??

I appears to be made just as plastic, which is a little odd considering that most if not all of my AutoArt models use metal wing mirrors.. Hopefully if a second run is ever going to be produced they take these sort of suggestions into consideration. Why they would use plastic rather than metal to begin with anyway is just plain weird.

Best of luck in your repairs..

Regards
Adam

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:56 pm

hi adam

being the clumsy fool that i am, i actually dropped it, lol. but everything else is fine, no scratches etc...just the wing mirror...there's little paint chips, which i have now covered with gloss paint...much better now...not perfect but better.

all i need is to solve the actual mirror piece, itself, where bits have chipped off.

i think the leg that holds the mirror onto the car is plastic but the actual shell of the mirror is metal...not sure if that's right or not though.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:09 pm

neps wrote:I bought my car off of eBay on that auction that alot of us purchased, and I haven't posted anything negative about him because I don't think it was right necessarily. If the item comes in as crap and he wont repair it, then I'll complain, but a few days delay, I'm okay with as long as the product arrives here complete and in tact.

According to the tracking number he provided, the product is in NJ and should be here at my office tomorrow, so we'll see if I'll change my views. Right now I'm just thinking positive.
I have the exact same outlook, neps. I'm just keeping quiet about it for now and won't complain unless the item never arrives or is in poor condition. I am also supposed to receive it on December 16, but will be very surprised if it actually comes then (just from my personal experience ordering items).

The only thing that seems a bit shady to me is what HondaSiR was talking about with some sellers waiting to post feedback as a form of "blackmail." This particular seller has not posted any feedback for me even though he already has been paid (and as quick as possible through PayPal), therefore he must be waiting to see if I say anything negative so that he can retaliate with negative feedback as well.

At least that's the only reason I can figure why he hasn't posted for me yet. The other seller in Singapore who I ordered K.A.R.R. from on the other hand had left positive feedback as soon as he received my payment. He even left me E-mail saying not to leave him positive feedback in return unless the item is in good condition and I'm absolutely satisfied and think he deserves it. Now that's how a seller should be, in my opinion. Nonetheless, if things go smoothly I will be a happy customer.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:16 pm

Skav: If you have a friend who makes model cars, planes...etc...You may ask him if he has some spare plastic chromed parts or trees from his parts box. It's a long-shot, but if you can get it, you may try to "fabricate" the mirror lens using the chromed platic part (the part of the tree where the number or letter of the part is located, its usually flat and large enough for the mirror lens to be fashioned out of).

Another idea is foil-wrap...the kind that every kitchen has. Just cut it out then paste it on the damaged lens. I haven't tried doing this but it may be possible.

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:00 pm

it is amazing..... i purchased and paid for mine from diecastmart before all of you and it looks like i am going to be the last one here who actually receives one from him.

at least i have the original one i purchased in my possession :P

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:33 pm

neps wrote: According to the tracking number he provided, the product is in NJ and should be here at my office tomorrow, so we'll see if I'll change my views. Right now I'm just thinking positive.
Mine too is in NJ. I just hope it would arrive after school so I can recieve it. I just hope this model and the box will have no damage.

Pewter 02ws6- When did you place an order?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:02 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:
neps wrote:Pewter 02ws6- When did you place an order?
the 4th

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:04 pm

neps wrote:I bought my car off of eBay on that auction that alot of us purchased, and I haven't posted anything negative about him because I don't think it was right necessarily. If the item comes in as crap and he wont repair it, then I'll complain, but a few days delay, I'm okay with as long as the product arrives here complete and in tact.

Same exact story here. Just checked the tracking number and the product arrived in New Jersey, and expected delivery is tomorrow. Hopefully it's undamaged.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:09 pm

pewter 02ws6,get in line.If anyone is going to get theres last its got to be me.I checked an email he gave me and did some detective work.The ups link shows a bunch of us from the same ebay auction,tracking info.It shows like 10 and I expected people to say I got mine today.I saw delivered on 3 of them theres me and another guy with billing info recieved.I wondered how long between billing info to in transit.It takes 5 days.Thats detective work.It takes 5 days for him to get the tracking number until its in delivery status.

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:54 am

Knight Racer wrote:pewter 02ws6,get in line.If anyone is going to get theres last its got to be me.I checked an email he gave me and did some detective work.The ups link shows a bunch of us from the same ebay auction,tracking info.It shows like 10 and I expected people to say I got mine today.I saw delivered on 3 of them theres me and another guy with billing info recieved.I wondered how long between billing info to in transit.It takes 5 days.Thats detective work.It takes 5 days for him to get the tracking number until its in delivery status.
it is showing that it will arrive on the 17th. i did some detective work myself and discovered that i was the very first person to purchase one from him on ebay and probably will be one of the last to receive mine. :evil:

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:32 am

mine is showing in transit sceduled to arrive in my town of jamestown ny on the 16th :whistle:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

kywolverine708
Recruit

Post by kywolverine708 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:48 am

I finally got mine, Monday 13th. I took it out of the box and was in aw of it. The car is beautiful, I dont plan on any modifications to it I just am not that great putting models together (big hands). But I do have one question is everyone's ttops real loose and can anyone think of a way to keep them in place besides taping them. I would like to take it out and show people. Also I only have one other 1/18 model it is the ertl General Lee and the General dwarfs KITT. It doesnt really look normal. Is this KITT and normal 1/18 or what??????

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:59 am

HondaSir, thanks for the tip. I had an idea about the tin foil but it wouldn't be an exact match to the opposite mirror.

But I guess this will happen anyway.

thanks

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:28 am

Skav wrote:HondaSir, thanks for the tip. I had an idea about the tin foil but it wouldn't be an exact match to the opposite mirror.
Cover the other mirror as well? Kinda like when you replace one headlight your recommended to replace the other so they'll be the same brightness. I don't have the model yet myself, so I don't know but is the mirror that visible that you'll be able to tell at a glance?

And at 4am my KITT went out for Delivery!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:10 am

haha, yeah i know about covering the other mirror too, but it always plays on my mind that it's not something that everyone else has officially got, it'll be a slightly different colour.

i had an idea about just painting them silver, that would simplify the job.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:21 am

kywolverine708 wrote:But I do have one question is everyone's ttops real loose and can anyone think of a way to keep them in place besides taping them. I would like to take it out and show people. Also I only have one other 1/18 model it is the ertl General Lee and the General dwarfs KITT. It doesnt really look normal. Is this KITT and normal 1/18 or what??????
You can glue the t-tops to the brace with model cement or epoxy, but I don't recommend that. :wink: As far as I know, taping them in place is the only temporary solution. If anybody else has an idea, I would definitely welcome it.
Skav wrote:HondaSir, thanks for the tip. I had an idea about the tin foil but it wouldn't be an exact match to the opposite mirror.

But I guess this will happen anyway.

thanks
No problem, I hope you can fix your KITT the soonest, I know how it feels when something terribly goes wrong and you can't fix it at once. Good Luck! :)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:46 pm

Mine just arrived! And it looks great! Haven't taken it fully out, but just wanted to let people know that the eBay is legit.