Reprograming KARR

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KARR 2004
Recruit

Reprograming KARR

Post by KARR 2004 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:11 pm

Ever since I first saw the episode "KITT vs. KARR," it occurred to me that FLAG would have been able to handle a much larger case load if they had decided to reprogram KARR and hire another operative.

It was always my understanding that KARR was deactivated in the first place because Wilton Knight and Devon decided that it would take longer to reprogram him than it would to build KITT. However, by 1984, the technology FLAG was using to maintain KITT should have been sophisticated enough that reprograming KARR would have been more practical.

Does anyone have any idea why this was never considered?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:00 pm

The problem in KITT vs. KARR was that in order to re-program KARR, they'd have to catch him first. It's often much easier to kill a fleeing suspect than it is to take them alive.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KARR 2004
Recruit

Post by KARR 2004 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:21 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:The problem in KITT vs. KARR was that in order to re-program KARR, they'd have to catch him first. It's often much easier to kill a fleeing suspect than it is to take them alive.
That's true. I guess they didn't feel they had any other choice, especially after KARR rammed the Semi and almost killed Devon and Bonnie. Having said, I've always been intrigued by the idea of KARR becoming part of the FLAG team. A few years ago, there was a guy who wrote a fan fiction series based on this idea. He didn't get far into the series before he stopped writing, but what he had was interesting.

UKKnightRiderFan
Volunteer

Post by UKKnightRiderFan » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:36 am

Even if they did reprogram KARR and use him as part of FLAG, wouldn't there be the possibility that he could return to his old ways of having no regard for human life. I've seen many times when KITT's been re-programmed that no matter how hard they try, his primary function to protect human life is never erased if that is the correct way to put it.

KARR 2004
Recruit

Post by KARR 2004 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:17 am

UKKnightRiderFan wrote:Even if they did reprogram KARR and use him as part of FLAG, wouldn't there be the possibility that he could return to his old ways of having no regard for human life. I've seen many times when KITT's been re-programmed that no matter how hard they try, his primary function to protect human life is never erased if that is the correct way to put it.
What I'm suggesting would mean that his entire memory core would be wiped, and he would be reprogramed from scratch. That should be sufficient to eliminate any problems with him.

UKKnightRiderFan
Volunteer

Post by UKKnightRiderFan » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:27 am

What I'm suggesting would mean that his entire memory core would be wiped, and he would be reprogramed from scratch. That should be sufficient to eliminate any problems with him.
I never thought about that lol

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:22 pm

If you do that, then KARR wouldn't be KARR - his whole personality would be gone as well. He'd definitely be different. So if they were going to do that, they could just somehow get the CPU out (if they were able to) and put in a new, redesigned CPU in the same car.

Just possibilities I guess.

KARR 2004
Recruit

Post by KARR 2004 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:40 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:If you do that, then KARR wouldn't be KARR - his whole personality would be gone as well. He'd definitely be different. So if they were going to do that, they could just somehow get the CPU out (if they were able to) and put in a new, redesigned CPU in the same car.

Just possibilities I guess.
He would still be KARR, just not the KARR that Knight Rider fans have come to know and love (or hate, depending on who you ask). The only thing I would not change about KARR would be his voice. I especially liked the Vader-eque voice we heard in KITT vs. KARR (Paul Frees). The voice modulator would also have to remain the same. Even though KARR would be a more user-friendly automobile, there would have to be no doubt in anyone's mind that he was still KARR. :D

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:57 am

I dunno... for one thing, it's like Pontiac calling the new 2004 GTO a GTO. It's called a GTO but not the GTO everyone used to know and love... just isn't really a GTO to me.

As for the voice... I can't feature KARR's voice sounding "user friendly". :lol:

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:30 am

[quote="FuzzieDice"]I dunno... for one thing, it's like Pontiac calling the new 2004 GTO a GTO. It's called a GTO but not the GTO everyone used to know and love... just isn't really a GTO to me.

As for the voice... I can't feature KARR's voice sounding "user friendly". :lol:[/quote]

Even Car and Driver Magazine hates the car.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:41 am

kitt34 wrote:Even Car and Driver Magazine hates the car.
Yeah. Goes to show you Pontiac really screwed up doing that. :( They should have only slightly modified the front grill and not make it so full of curves! They just didn't make a GTO no way no how. :roll:

PursuitMode-1983
Volunteer

Post by PursuitMode-1983 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:32 pm

They could have made that reality if they wanted to, because at the end of KITT vs KARR... you notice that his body was completely destroyed by his collision with KITT, but his CPU box was still operational and flashing. However it seems a very absurd idea to have a 'good' KARR doesn't it? I mean... we are talking about the No.1 KR villain here!

A fantastic scenario would have been for KARR's CPU to have been the AI in Goliath... that would have been great, I think the only element missing from Goliath was an AI.

PM-83
Tony: You hunk of tin didn't you see her??!

KARR: I was watching you de-activate the Rev, was he malfunctioning...?

*Trust Doesn't Rust*