Ratings for "Fly By Knight"

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Ratings for "Fly By Knight"

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:40 am

t.b.77b wrote: SAVE KITT!!!!!!!
SAVE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!
YEAH! :D

I don't think that NBC will promote KR because it's the last two episodes, and it's possible that they're going to promote the heck out of it for season two, and they just want to get season 1 over with because they had no proper direction in the first place.If more people find out about KR in the first season, they might think it's bad and they won't tune in for season two.So maybe NBC knows what they're doing.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:12 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:
t.b.77b wrote: SAVE KITT!!!!!!!
SAVE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!
YEAH! :D

I don't think that NBC will promote KR because it's the last two episodes, and it's possible that they're going to promote the heck out of it for season two, and they just want to get season 1 over with because they had no proper direction in the first place.If more people find out about KR in the first season, they might think it's bad and they won't tune in for season two.So maybe NBC knows what they're doing.
Hope you're right

(goes back to watching Rosencrantz and Goldenstern Are Dead)
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:48 am

What I don't understand, is where have all the viewers gone after the Obama week when no episode was shown?

How can the ratings suddenly drop from 7.5 million to just under 5 million?

where the hell did the people go?

The show is getting better and better, I will be dissapointed if they don't renew it.

The whole production team, writers, vfx, etc have found their groove, and the show is a welcome change from the already saturated sitcom or crime investigation shows.

I can't believe people are not interested in KR, and instead watch those other boring shows.

Seriously, what the hell do these people watch then?!!
It will be a tragedy if KR is not renewed.

Justin Bruening is just a class act in the lead role.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:27 am

What sort of ratings does something like "Supernatural" achieve in the US?

That's got to season 4 now, with what I would expect to be a "modest" viewership...

85DropTopTA
Volunteer

Post by 85DropTopTA » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:57 am

I don't think this show is in danger.

It's biggest problem is American Idle. Which is promoted by Ford also. I would think Ford would realize their advertising dollars are working against each other a little bit, and take that into consideration when NBC asks for more money to keep it running

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:35 am

trissybabes wrote:What sort of ratings does something like "Supernatural" achieve in the US?

That's got to season 4 now, with what I would expect to be a "modest" viewership...
It was struggling in its first and second seasons, did moderately last year and now it's actually doing pretty damn well. Smallville's doing particularly well too, since it was brought up earlier. They seem to be about the same as Knight Rider, though I think the numbers are measured differently, because The CW is cable, while NBC is national. Well, I think, anyway; I'm not American.

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 am

Awesome episode.

Unlike most people, I did like the new series from the beginning; yes it was different; yes it had its share of problems. At the same time though, it was able to also get a few new viewers. However, it is nice that the show has steadily improved.

I obviously would love a second season and hope that its able to make it there...

The show doesn't have the 10 million+ viewers that shows like Heroes have, but its a nice change from everything else.

The only other shows I watch on TV right now are 24, Smallville and occasionally Heroes (occasional because due to their story arcs its now both confusing, AND I never get a sense of "completion" in an episode...the only way to watch the thing is to have the whole season DVD so I don't have to wait a week).

KR is a nice "break" every week and well, come on, KITT's awesome.

i hope it stays.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:45 am

Heroes (occasional because due to their story arcs its now both confusing, AND I never get a sense of "completion" in an episode...the only way to watch the thing is to have the whole season DVD so I don't have to wait a week).
Dude, don't apologize. The show is awful. Hell, "Heroes" is the very proof of how important a "first impression" is for viewers. It made a good first impression when it started and now it gets 10 million viewers, instead of a much-deserved wooden stake right through its hart. Coated with poison. And herpes.

It's also why Knight Rider probably will never get that high- not anytime soon, anyway.

KITTKARR85
Recruit

Post by KITTKARR85 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:15 am

If Nielsen were to somehow incorporate how many people TiVo or DVR the show, I can bet you ratings would be up. No one really is available at that time and are forced to record it. I have church during that time so I am unable to watch it then and there, I usually watch it when I get home. In my honest fair opinion, I think not adding DVR/TiVo usage is minimizing ratings imo because I can bet more people DVR shows than watch them right at the airing. I guess the Nielsen ratings believe everyone's home and the fact is they aren't. I can even bet people DVR other popular shows like Idol and Lost and if those were tallied up would boost theirs as well, which wouldn't help KR but I can seriously believe KR would have higher ratings adding in DVR recordings somehow.

:skar:

BennyCruz
Volunteer

Post by BennyCruz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 am

Been lurking for a while and this is my first post

I'm wondering something, Since when is 3rd place in ratings against juggernauts like American Idol a bad thing? I don't know about ratings and stuff very much, so maybe someone that does could tell me. Considering NBC has not really promoted this show at all third place is pretty good isn't it?

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:39 am

^^ It has to do with expectations. Knight Rider had to be a huge success. That's what NBC wanted and, in fact, that's what it still needs badly. In addition, the show costs. The fact that what it costs now is still not enough to pull it off (it certainly needs a bigger budget than what it already has, being an action show and all) makes matters worse. It's also why we're still walking the thin line of cancellation. NBC needs a ratings-stealer and whether Knight Rider stays on or not will probably depend on how many alternatives they have and if they're willing to gamble with them.

It's an assumption on my part, so take it as that, but as I see it, we'll be gone if they see something with better potential waiting on their desks for a green light.

BennyCruz
Volunteer

Post by BennyCruz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks NeoRanger, what you said makes sense,
Though, I think that if this show gets cancelled, it will most definately show up on sci-fi and then in syndication. I don't think that this Knight Rider will die completely.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:22 am

you know, at the end, I think NBC will come to its mind one more time and keep this show going. :kitt:

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:29 am

NeoRanger wrote:^^ It has to do with expectations. Knight Rider had to be a huge success. That's what NBC wanted and, in fact, that's what it still needs badly. In addition, the show costs. The fact that what it costs now is still not enough to pull it off (it certainly needs a bigger budget than what it already has, being an action show and all) makes matters worse. It's also why we're still walking the thin line of cancellation. NBC needs a ratings-stealer and whether Knight Rider stays on or not will probably depend on how many alternatives they have and if they're willing to gamble with them.

It's an assumption on my part, so take it as that, but as I see it, we'll be gone if they see something with better potential waiting on their desks for a green light.
You're exactly right. Whether or not KR gets cancelled will depend in part on what NBC feels they have in the hopper that fits their needs better, and they won't know for sure until they see all the pilots.

So, we're not dead yet (although we're on life support).

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:32 am

If NBC or anyone else thought KR has the potential to be the no.1 show in this day age, then they need a reality check. 3rd place is what I was expecting. Actually, it exceeded my expectations.

IMO, it's a brilliant spot and cancelling a 3rd ranked show makes no sense. I don't believe they are not making profit from a 3rd ranked show.

Can I ask, how does a TV studio make money from shows, anyway, considering they are free broadcasts?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:54 am

Primarily from advertising, which is a big problem for the broadcast nets these days--people are DVRing the shows and not watching the commercials. They can make money from syndication, overseas rights and DVD sales, but a show needs to stick around long enough for those things to happen.

larmindy
Volunteer

Post by larmindy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Well it is nice to see the number of viewers increase. But, I get the feeling NBC has already made their decision on the show. Just look at the trends we have seen in the past three episodes. Wednesday night is a tough spot to fill. Just look at Jericho..
I see the end in sight sadly. No promotion from NBC, not even to jump-start the Knights line-up. The character development arch appears to have been moved into 6th gear, just look at KITT and the monumental development of his AI. It seems they are trying to close all of the loose ends for a nice and tidy finale.

I hope I am wrong and obviously this is just my opinion.

NBC from the start should have placed the show on Friday knight, this where KR belongs. TOS series aired on Fridays as well. NBC may have hoped that they had a series that could compete with Idol but should have made the change to Fridays once the ratings were hitting the lows of November and December.

As with Jericho, KR is suffering from poor decisions by the network on which it airs. The dramatic changes from the Pilot to the Obama and whats her name trumping the timeslot.

Truly I hope I am wrong, I love the idea of KR and this version is growing into another KR series.
:kitt2:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:45 pm

NeoRanger wrote:
trissybabes wrote:What sort of ratings does something like "Supernatural" achieve in the US?

It was struggling in its first and second seasons, did moderately last year and now it's actually doing pretty damn well. Smallville's doing particularly well too, since it was brought up earlier. They seem to be about the same as Knight Rider, though I think the numbers are measured differently, because The CW is cable, while NBC is national. Well, I think, anyway; I'm not American.
CW is a broadcast network, like NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox it's just a lot smaller than those four. What's good for CW though doesn't mean that a show on NBC getting CW like ratings is a good thing.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:02 am

I tend to agree with most here; being in 3rd place isn't a bad thing; *but* it's not necessarily a good thing either.
I keep thinking that with Heroes going down the tubes the way it is that NBC might try a getting a sci-fi show by not making a huge splash at first. But then I think of Jericho and Moonlight and get scared.

Smallville's viewership has delcined a Million or more viewers every year for 8 years now. It's premire ep this season only got like 4 Million. I think if KR can get a S2 then it could pick up viewers...
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:41 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote: CW is a broadcast network, like NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox it's just a lot smaller than those four.
Thanks for that. Google isn't particularly informative when it comes to that stuff.

And yeah, ratings are measured differently for each network. The CW had problems keeping up since it first came on the air, so the later ratings of Smallville and Supernatural are a success for them. Not the same situation with NBC.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:50 am

davidknightrider wrote:What I don't understand, is where have all the viewers gone after the Obama week when no episode was shown?

How can the ratings suddenly drop from 7.5 million to just under 5 million?

where the hell did the people go?

The show is getting better and better, I will be dissapointed if they don't renew it.

The whole production team, writers, vfx, etc have found their groove, and the show is a welcome change from the already saturated sitcom or crime investigation shows.

I can't believe people are not interested in KR, and instead watch those other boring shows.

Seriously, what the hell do these people watch then?!!
It will be a tragedy if KR is not renewed.

Justin Bruening is just a class act in the lead role.
the nielsen ratings system is old and outdated, and not a very reliable way to count who is really watching a show, from what i know the nielsen family has 35.000 people in 12.000 households who get to decide if a show is a hit or not, it's not really fair because its doesen't give an actual count of who is really watching a show. i dont know what the exact ratio is but if knight rider lost 2 million people in actuality the probably really only lost a couple hundred viewers from the 35.000 people in the nielsen family, my math might be a little off but i think you get the idea.
in glen larson we trust.

Bishop37
Recruit

Post by Bishop37 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:10 am

The way Nielsen calculates the ratings is a proven statistical formula that works.

The advertisers know it works, that's why it's still the standard for advertisers to see how many people are watching the spots they've paid for during the run of a show.

Nielsen can also calculate how many people watched a show on DVR/video/Tivo too.

There's Live Plus Same Day figures and Live Plus Seven Days figures that the network can look at. However, these are meaningless to advertisers because they know that any normal person will fast forward through the adverts.

The networks are in the business of making commercial television and if they don't think they're making enough money on a show it will be cancelled.

NBC have cut back the episode orders on KR, Life and Kath and Kim, if that doesn't tell you that those shows won't be back next season, then nothing will.

It's a shame, because KR has become the show it was always meant to be, but sadly the viewing figures just aren't there.

blazevski
Recruit

Post by blazevski » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:28 am

okay lets be honest... number of viewers only reflects the quality of show (usually)... Pilot was THE BEST episode of knight rider ever and it had 12 mio viewers - thats a fact.

Another fact is that then they went and screwed it up for some reason. They had their chance but screwed it. Number of viewers fell down.

12 mio viewers was a very good starting point from which number of viewers could only grow but noone can expect number to grow now especally because 8 mio viewers who stopped watching it wont come back just to see if the show improved (which it did in last 2 episodes). I bet if you could somehow erase the first screwed up episodes from dissapointed viewers minds the numbers would increase rapidly. Early episodes simply left impression that show is crap and people stopped watching... simple as that... y would they watch crap when they can watch something else...

If only there was a way to tell EVERYONE that show got better they would maaaaybe give it another chance (talking about viewers AND NBC)...

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:42 am

blazevski wrote:okay lets be honest... number of viewers only reflects the quality of show (usually)... Pilot was THE BEST episode of knight rider ever and it had 12 mio viewers - thats a fact.
Neither of these are facts. Viewership has less to do with quality and more to do with impression. Good shows do get canceled and bad shows do stay on air, just because they have enough viewers. Television is business first and foremost.

The pilot was not the best Knight Rider episode. It wasn't even an episode, to begin with. For some reason it may be loved in here, but it received no less negative feedback than the rest of the show from anyone else. It had increased viewership, partly because it was the return of a show that many remembered from their childhood and mostly because it aired on a Sunday night, the ONLY new program in the middle of the drought, caused by the WGA strike.

These are facts.

blazevski
Recruit

Post by blazevski » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:08 am

If a show's good it has viewers... American idol sucks for me and for many more but apparently its a good show since so many people watch it. (But yeah... it's all about business...)

Pilot didn't have so many viewers cuz it was old show comming alive and cuz it was on sunday... maybe partly but check out number of viewers after the pilot. Above 7 mio cuz pilot WAS the best and it impressed people but than they just screwed it up. If I compare last 2 series to the pilot movie (OK... I'm not calling it an episode if that's a problem) KR is becomming more and more similar to it. Just remember the humor from pilot (KITT askin Mike if hes gay), a lot of auto-cruise, no big government organisation, low number of actors etc. The FACT is the pilot WAS great and it HAD many viewers because of that and they DID @&^# it up after that... That's the main reason for low numbers IMO.