Video: Gary Scott Thompson introduces new KITT to KRO

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Video: Gary Scott Thompson introduces new KITT to KRO

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:17 am

After the unveiling, the press had one-on-one interviews with Gary, Justin and Deanna. Here, Gary explains some of the new features of KITT to Neil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FdONqb9QrQ

What I particularly like about this interview is that Gary gets a bit excited and it sounds like he spills the beans a bit about some of the things they are planning on doing. He says "I'm giving it all away here!" I'm not sure he originally meant to talk about a couple details, but he let the cat out of the bag.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Video: Gary Scott Thompson introduces new KITT to KRO

Post by Matthew » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:49 am

Thanks Mike,

You can tell that Gary really believes in this car, so hopefully that will go a long way towards convincing those of us who are either against it, or unsure about it, to give the car a chance before making their final judgments. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:23 am

:shock: Looks like Turbo Boost is going to be done sort of how I thought it would awhile ago with the camera going into the engine and following through and all that. I can't remember if I mentioned anything about it before my post in the other topic.. But I know it's something I had in my head for awhile.

A bit of interesting info there too, I might warm up to it more as more footage is released. Though I think I'll still be wishing for the rims and hood intakes to be black. With the mentioning of the Pursuit mode does that mean there's going to be another transformation or is it going to be treated as it was in the original series? I'm not sure how I feel about the weapons thing though it might make sense with what I read in one of Mblackphoenix's links in his topic, I should probably post in it...

What of the snow globe?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:39 am

I think this is the most impressive interview yet. Justin and Deanna are awesome because they're very positive, non-elitist people, but I think that with the most shizzle being thrown at GST it's great to see that he's involved and cares for the series, and tries to address the fan's concerns (note that the first thing he touched at the unveiling was the spoiler). I also think that his concept of the Attack mode's use and a few other things are great, and actually having a use for the intakes sorta lets them be there.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

KITTRINA
Recruit

Post by KITTRINA » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:54 am

I think that it looks great!! They really believe in it and everyonr should give it a chance. The series is going to rock! :good:

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:10 am

One thing he mentioned this is attack mode but this isnt pursuit mode. Does this mean there will be another version of kitt as well?
Ice rider coming 2009

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:28 am

IT says the video is no longer available. Is it just me that's having this issue? YouTube seems to be doing that alot lately.

Stinch
Volunteer

Post by Stinch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Im loving the new Attack KITT and also loving watch GST struggle to keep all the secrets in!!!
Bring on September!
The laws a double edged sword and you've been sitting pretty on one side for too long! Now your gonna feel the other side, the side that cuts!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:18 pm

djshag69 wrote:One thing he mentioned this is attack mode but this isnt pursuit mode. Does this mean there will be another version of kitt as well?
The Attack K.I.T.T. looks a little over-the-top and reminiscent of Super Pursuit Mode to begin with; I can't imagine how much further they could go if they decide to have a SPM version of the car on top of this. It would seem a little needless and redundant to me because I thought that's what the Attack car is supposed to be for.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

zero
Rookie

Post by zero » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm super worried about something he said. Unless I misunderstood, he said the blue glow under the car is from a giant neon "KR" logo. I swear to god if KITT turbo boosts and we see a giant KR logo on the bottom of the car I will turn off the TV. That is cheezy as hell and totally lame.

Remember when TKR came out and we were all complaining about the "TKR" jumpsuits with logos they were wearing? This is the same damn problem. Now everyone in the "KITT cave" is wearing "KR" hats and the licence place says "KR" on it. The licence plate should be "KNIGHT" and nothing else. "KR" and "Knight Rider" should never be mentioned ever.

I have some faith in GST because Las Vegas is an excellent show and has that perfect balance of realism and humor in an episodic show. I can see why NBC went to him for this. Some of the choices being made are just bad though.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:17 pm

zero: for better or worse, I thought that GST meant that there would be a neon cobra underneath the car at night.

I do think there is a significant difference between the Team Knight Rider jumpsuits and what they're doing here. In TKR, they never explained where the name came from or how it evolved and yeah, it was pretty odd.

With the new show, the letter KR stand for "Knight Research", not Knight Rider. Knight Research is a division of the Knight Foundation. So at least there is a logical, story-based explanation where the letters come from.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:51 pm

zero wrote:I'm super worried about something he said. Unless I misunderstood, he said the blue glow under the car is from a giant neon "KR" logo. I swear to god if KITT turbo boosts and we see a giant KR logo on the bottom of the car I will turn off the TV. That is cheezy as hell and totally lame.
What bothers me about that is the choice of the color blue even more so than the fact that it will be advertising a "KR" logo. Adding the color blue to the dashboard and exterior changes the traditional colors and makes K.I.T.T. look more like a Christmas tree/"rice rocket" than anything. If the scanner is red, the glow of the car should be consistent with it, just like Super Pursuit Mode at night. A lot of people hated SPM, but it sure looked badass at night, which is why I'm not opposed to the car having a glow around it:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:What I particularly like about this interview is that Gary gets a bit excited and it sounds like he spills the beans a bit about some of the things they are planning on doing. He says "I'm giving it all away here!" I'm not sure he originally meant to talk about a couple details, but he let the cat out of the bag.
For that reason I am going to avoid watching the video even though what he said will likely be leaked here, but thanks. Furthermore, it seems the spoiler tags in general are being used effectively at first; however, the threads they're used in end up getting spoiled anyway from other members rehashing what was in the original spoiler tag, thus defeating the purpose!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Regarding the spoiler tags, I think at some point people just need to use common sense. If someone wants to be absolutely spoiler-free, they shouldn't look in a topic that says "here's the new KITT!" Even the topic headlines may contain spoilers because in order for the headlines to be useful, they have to be descriptive. Threads shouldn't be named "something interesting about KITT" or even "New feature".

We'll certainly try to warn people before giving away a big secret, but in general I think people should have a policy of "let the browser beware."

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
zero wrote: A lot of people hated SPM, but it sure looked badass at night, which is why I'm not opposed to the car having a glow around it:
Come to think of it, I never liked how KI2T looked in SPM. Humm, well realizing that actually makes me feel better about what attack KITT looks like.
As for spoilers, I’m trying to avoid the ones that discuss the storyline I’m not so worried about the ones that reveal what KITT will do. Basically I don’t want to find out Darth Vader is his father. You know the kind of thing that will just take all the fun out of watching it. Personally, that’s why I’ve been avoiding Kittsite.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:16 pm

Lost Knight wrote:For that reason I am going to avoid watching the video even though what he said will likely be leaked here, but thanks. Furthermore, it seems the spoiler tags in general are being used effectively at first; however, the threads they're used in end up getting spoiled anyway from other members rehashing what was in the original spoiler tag, thus defeating the purpose!
I think it would be worth it to you to watch Gary defend the Attack KITT, since we've all be judging him and KITT on still photos and personal opinions. He speaks well about what this car can do, and it should be worth it to those with doubts, to at least give the man a chance to defend himself :)

And regards to the spoiler tags, I'd echo everything Michael has said - but we also have been away covering this, so we haven't been able to moderate as closely as we like. So we'll try to keep on top of it as best as possible. If you see something that is potentially spoilerish - you can send us an alert via the built in board warning system, and we can edit the post to apply spoiler tags.

Neil

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

Interesting that, so far, the car only jumps in Attack Mode, could this be from the masters at Ford not wanting to show a car that looks stock (the 'hero car') doing things that would be unreasonably expected from them by customers??

Im happy to have Turbo Boost back and i'm hoping that somewhere (even briefly) people outside USA get to see the new series (in some form or other) as soon as possible! :good: