It's official.. Knight Rider Complete Series Boxset

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

It's official.. Knight Rider Complete Series Boxset

Post by KRAvengerII » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:50 pm

They announced the knight Rider complete series boxset today. it comes out on oct 21st.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Re: It's official..

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:03 pm

Sorry if I'm being an idiot but i assume this is a Complete Box set of the original, which as far as i know already exists but i am from the UK. Then again they might be making a new cooler one maybe. In the Uk at least The Incredible Hulk is getting a complete boxset in September so a new Knight Rider one could easily follow.

Do you have a link maybe of what it looks like or info if its US only
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Re: It's official..

Post by KITTfan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:21 pm

From tvshowsondvd.com:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Knight ... nced/10109
Universal lists the package as "K.I.T.T. Gift Box with Flashing Lights & Sound Chip.
Sounds very cool :)

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Re: It's official.. Knight Rider Complete Series Boxset

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:48 pm

hmmmmm must keep an eye out for that, with luck a UK version will follow. Otherwise i will have to Import :(

If it turned to have a full working LED scanner in a sexy black box i may just die from drowning in tears of joy

The Shadow
Volunteer

Post by The Shadow » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:31 pm

The Digital Bits seems to have a bit more info on the upcoming release:
Also, the original Knight Rider: The Complete Series has been set for DVD release on 10/21 (SRP $139.98). The 24-disc set will feature collectible packaging in the form of a K.I.T.T. gift box, complete with flashing lights and sound. Extras will include a Knight of the Phoenix's audio commentary with David Hasselhoff and writer/creator Glen Larson, a photo gallery, a "blueprints" gallery, a K.I.T.T. Owners Manual, original blueprints for K.I.T.T., a bonus episode (Knight of the Rising Sun), 5 featurettes (Knight Moves, Knight Sounds, Knight Rider 2000, Knight Rider: Under the Hood and The Great 80's TV Flashback).

Anyone know why "Knight of the Rising Sun" is listed as a 'bonus episode', shouldn't it be in the season 4 episodes already?

EDIT: Just checked out TV Shows On DVD's entry for the new set - hooray for it not being flipper discs.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:01 pm

yeah, why not put in Knight Rider 2010- or are they THAT ashamed of it?

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Extras will include a Knight of the Phoenix's audio commentary with David Hasselhoff and writer/creator Glen Larson, a photo gallery, a "blueprints" gallery, a K.I.T.T. Owners Manual, original blueprints for K.I.T.T., a bonus episode (Knight of the Rising Sun), 5 featurettes (Knight Moves, Knight Sounds, Knight Rider 2000, Knight Rider: Under the Hood and The Great 80's TV Flashback).
Knight of the Rising Sun is included as a "bonus episode" because that's how it was presented as part of the Season 3 box-set; it'll show up in the collection twice. The complete series package will be identical to the individual season releases except for the fact they're grouped together in one box, and not on double-sided discs.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:20 pm

what about the third season sound effect glitches?

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:40 pm

hmmmmmmmm

It doesn't bode that well for a uk rerelease then as it sounds a lot like the version that we've had in the UK for a while now except it doesn't have the really cool case that it sounds the US are getting

Although it may not be exactly what you are getting, it at least be taste of what you could expect in october.
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=569907

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Aside from the cool packaging, to me, the only real incentive to buy this set would be to get the single-sided discs, which will likely be much less problematic than the double-sided ones. However, if the flawed Season 3 set is still included in this, I'd consider it not worth it. The fact that all of the bonus features are the same, including the redundant "Knight Of the Rising Sun" is not very encouraging for my hopes that the revised Season 3 set is included in this, because it suggests that Universal simply took the existing episodes as they were and copied them onto the single-sided discs. The revised Season 3 sets are a lot more rare as opposed to the flawed sets. But hopefully I'm wrong about that.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:08 pm

I'd be shocked if they didn't include the corrected Season 3 set.

Someone would really have to be asleep at the wheel to let that happen again :roll:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:37 pm

Well, it is Universal.......
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 am

While it is shocking that the original Season three set made it to production with flaws, I should hope that since they offered the correct version as a replacement, this complete set would use that work as a shortcut.

Having a full set of 24 discs is very impressive. After all, how many disc sets out there come with so many discs? It shows that Universal is really feeling a great dedication...and cares.

As for KR 2010...that's as "unofficial" as Team Knight Rider. And, both of those were under the "Action Pack", which also made "unofficial" episodes of Smokey and The Bandit. (Although, I didn't think that show was too bad.) But, KR 2010 would be even less like KR if they had lost the name. And, probably never even show up on this board if it had been named "The Coyote and HoloLady". :lol:

As for blinking lights and a sound chip...these distractions can be made incredibly inexpensive on a mass production scale. A small dot circuit can control flashing lights in sequential order and another can hold small amounts of sound rom. Plus, battery, LED's and speaker. But, it still shows that Universal cares. Even at a dime or so more per package investment, it's something they usually wouldn't bother to add if they were just releasing an old show for a chance at some profit.

Ahhh...but, here's my real questions. 1) Price. Are we going to be staring down a three digit price tag? And, 2) Original songs or some generic filler? After all, KR was heavy with music from the era. That's alot of royalties to pay off.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:48 am

jup wrote:Ahhh...but, here's my real questions. 1) Price. Are we going to be staring down a three digit price tag? And, 2) Original songs or some generic filler? After all, KR was heavy with music from the era. That's alot of royalties to pay off.
I doubt it will be a 3-digit price tag, but I'm sure the packaging and amount of extra discs will make the set more expensive than the standard price. It'll probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of $60-80.

Most of the music in the series was cover songs, which are much cheaper to pay for than the originals. That's why we got lucky that only 2 songs in the entire series ended up being omitted on DVD. Besides, Universal has already paid for them with the last DVD release. I don't think they'd suddenly omit cover songs.

80sKnight
Recruit

Post by 80sKnight » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:14 am

Lost Knight wrote:
I doubt it will be a 3-digit price tag, but I'm sure the packaging and amount of extra discs will make the set more expensive than the standard price. It'll probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of $60-80.
Dude, it's already a 3-digit price tag:

"Also, the original Knight Rider: The Complete Series has been set for DVD release on 10/21 (SRP $139.98)."

To get it down to at least $95, any retailer would have to take a $45 dollar hit off the top. I don't think even Amazon would do that. Also, the individual seasons were/are about $30 a pop, so for your price we'd be getting 1 or 1 1/2 seasons free. Not good business sense for retailers.
80sKnight

:dash4:
Owner of 3rd/4th Season KITT replica

:dash:
1st/2nd Season replica IN PROGRESS!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:21 pm

80sKnight wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:

"Also, the original Knight Rider: The Complete Series has been set for DVD release on 10/21 (SRP $139.98)."

To get it down to at least $95, any retailer would have to take a $45 dollar hit off the top. I don't think even Amazon would do that. Also, the individual seasons were/are about $30 a pop, so for your price we'd be getting 1 or 1 1/2 seasons free. Not good business sense for retailers.
:shock: Ick. I'm glad I already have all the seasons including the revised Season 3 set.

The Shadow
Volunteer

Post by The Shadow » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 pm

80sKnight wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:

While a markdown from the MSRP to the $60-$80 range probably won't happen (at least not for the better part of a year), a retailer price of $95 is certainly plausible. That's just a 32% markdown from the MSRP ($139.98). Some stores might even sell it for as low as $90.

For instance (all prices rounded):
-The complete series set of Star Trek TNG has an MSRP of $456 and it can be purchased at Wal-Mart for $327 [29% markdown]

-The complete series set of Wonder Woman has an MSRP of $115 and is at Wal-Mart for $74 [36% markdown]

-The Andy Griffith Show complete series set has an MSRP of $240 and retails at Wal-Mart for $153 [36% markdown].
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:52 pm

it may be too late or may just fall on deaf ears but you could always air your views/worries on the what i assume is new forum that univeral/Playback have added along with their new look

http://www.universal-playback.com/shows ... der/photos