New Promo!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: New Promo!

Post by Sue » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 am

Yes I tend to agree with neps conclusions; I don’t think we need to worry about what we saw on the touring car. I’m also thinking -that sounds like the same new intro song. I’m glad, cause I liked it.
My big gripe is still the K’s and T’s. They should be altered as they first were in the movie and as I did below.
Even though the K didn’t hang below the line in the original series font (it was the N and H that did) I still think the elongated K will help give it a KR look.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:59 am

I have not seen any of the new promos yet. However, based on the information in this thread, I'll make an assumption as to what may be occurring here. It sounds like all recycled footage from the backdoor pilot, yes. But based on the studio garage pictures with the Shelby lettering/classic scanner style as well as the touring car, I'm pretty sure the "normal" K.I.T.T. will have these additions once the series starts. I just don't think it's anything they want to direct attention to because they are more or less starting fresh and it's meant to be overlooked (such as a new actor taking the place of another actor for a sequel, for example). Of course for product placement purposes I'm sure Ford wants it to be noticed, but for continuity purposes I think it's supposed to get overlooked.

Could it be possible that these commericals were filmed months back before the new "normal" K.I.T.T. went on tour? That's what happened with the backdoor pilot commericals and the constant different K.I.T.T. voices because they didn't have time to go back and change anything. I would also think it's just more convenient (and cheaper) for NBC to use the recycled footage and get the buzz for the new series going as early as possible.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:06 pm

We may have be given recycled footage, whether it was done this way too cut costs or to show consistency with the pilot we will have to wait and see.

I am just grateful that the build up to the series premiere is on its way. I'm sure more footage will arrive soon enough. I imagine that the next lot of Ads will showoff the attack KI3T, which will of course have to wait until after the Comic con unveiling.
Also if we are lucky enough to find that there is another teaser where he says the "wait till you see my turbo boost" line. I would expect that it would happen in a new attack KI3T based commercial and would be heard after some of KI3T's more ordinary attack mode functions are mentioned

I was also happy to hear KI3T being a little playful as if he's showing of a little. I've always liked the fact in the original series pilot how Devon descibed KITT as show off to Michael
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I have not seen any of the new promos yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49CwxQfJg9E&fmt=6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnTFr-owNng&fmt=6
Lost Knight wrote:However, based on the information in this thread, I'll make an assumption as to what may be occurring here. It sounds like all recycled footage from the backdoor pilot, yes. But based on the studio garage pictures with the Shelby lettering/classic scanner style as well as the touring car, I'm pretty sure the "normal" K.I.T.T. will have these additions once the series starts. I just don't think it's anything they want to direct attention to because they are more or less starting fresh and it's meant to be overlooked (such as a new actor taking the place of another actor for a sequel, for example). Of course for product placement purposes I'm sure Ford wants it to be noticed, but for continuity purposes I think it's supposed to get overlooked.
Could it be possible that these commericals were filmed months back before the new "normal" K.I.T.T. went on tour? That's what happened with the backdoor pilot commericals and the constant different K.I.T.T. voices because they didn't have time to go back and change anything. I would also think it's just more convenient (and cheaper) for NBC to use the recycled footage and get the buzz for the new series going as early as possible.
From Mustang Magazine
The KITT Hero standing studly in these pages isn't one of the TV movie cars. It's actually the final car built as part of the TV pilot program-call it the seventh KITT Mustang. Assembled by Galpin Auto Sports, it's the only KITT built off of an honest-to-Henry Shelby GT 500 and packs far more punch than the showy-but-standard-performance on-screen cars. It was used for a handful of promotional photography and articles such as this, more promotional work, and then the glue factory. Man, the budgets are huge in TV land.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featur ... tions.html
Uh, no, budgets are not huge; I really think this car is owned by Ford, or if they did give it to NBC it was with the understanding that it would be an advertising tool for Ford. As it says here it’s off to the glue factory, so bye bye Shelby lettering.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Sue wrote:Uh, no, budgets are not huge; I really think this car is owned by Ford, or if they did give it to NBC it was with the understanding that it would be an advertising tool for Ford. As it says here it’s off to the glue factory, so bye bye Shelby lettering.
Thanks for the links. I agree that that particular car was a loaner for NBC promotions and despite the fact that it's apparently the only true Shelby that was used, I still think the other six cars will end up having the lettering. If anything (aside from product placement), I think they'll want it to look as accurate to a real Shelby as possible. Would it make sense to keep promoting the car as a Shelby and have it not end up with any Shelby lettering?

Why didn't the car have the lettering in the original pilot? Well, the Shelby wasn't out yet and it was a dressed-up GT with a modified hood, so perhaps the designers left out the lettering for lack of a frame of reference? Only time will tell, though.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:15 pm

I dont care as long as they dont turn it into a shiny black billboard.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:36 pm

Agreed, I know that today with the rise in popularity of DVRs people can easily (at least easier than with VCRs) skip the commercials so they need to do some product placement in the shows themselves but there's a point where they can easily go too far, use real products where it makes sense but don't write in product placement opportunities, if there's a scene where a character is supposed to drink a soda or whatever, sure make it a brand name like Coke or Pepsi, hell have the actor hold the can or bottle to where we can see the logo AND DON'T FOCUS OR ZOOM IN ON IT, I'll probably roll my eyes at it but once the shot is over with I'll be over it even with its blatancy I won't care because that's just a small thing we have to deal more with now, just don't go overboard... But making the new KITT rolling billboard for promotion/advertisement of Ford is one of those things that in my opinion, would take it too far. Everyone already knows what kind of car it is, there's no point in bashing it over our heads with SHELBY being written anywhere or emblems even still being on the car, it just gets insulting and very, very annoying.

They could easily do just as well with how it was handled in the first season of Knight Rider. Look what that did to bring attention to the Trans-AM, granted for some reason people actually thought there was actual "KITT Edition" (features and all) and wanted it but I think most of those "brilliant" folk have wised up by now and if not, ended up being Darwin Award candidates and are no longer with us. Then again I might just be kidding myself and those people could still actually still believe that sort of thing. Reminds me also of the BTTF2 Hover board thing though at least that was mainly little kids, didn't help that Zemeckis played along as if they really did exist.

I really need to stop repeating myself, I know but this is one of those things that I feel strongly about when it comes to reviving the series. It's almost up there with respecting the original, its history and maintaining the spirit of it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:59 pm

just posting to verify that there is in fact a "turbo boost" commercial. got so excited to see it. i was actually writing a paper for class and then stopped what i was doing to watch it. very exciting!!

KITTRINA
Recruit

Post by KITTRINA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:19 pm

epc1122 wrote:just posting to verify that there is in fact a "turbo boost" commercial. got so excited to see it. i was actually writing a paper for class and then stopped what i was doing to watch it. very exciting!!
what were u watching when u saw the turbo boost commercial? i've missed that one.

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 pm

last comic standing. it was on about an hour ago, give or take.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:17 pm

Gah! Tell me I'm not the only one that for some reason has a vague recollection of Turbo Boost being mentioned as a part of a teaser or something back when they first started to come out or shortly before.... That and the other two, especially the "Yeah, I'm Shiny" one have been giving me a serious case of deja vu. >_<

I might be losing what's left of my mind and it's not like I had much to begin with. I couldn't find any reference to either prior to last Monday... AHHHHHH! *Runs away screaming*
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Interesting...could Turbo Boost be back by popular demand? :kitt:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:44 pm

sarfraz wrote:...and you'll have a lynch mob after you before you know it if its false :wink:

Sarfraz
Now someone else has confirmed that the turbo boost teaser exists, can i come out of hiding? :wink:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:49 pm

I have it on tape! Digitizing now!

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:06 pm

neps wrote:I have it on tape! Digitizing now!
Do you believe me now?, I take my KR very seriously, can I get like a hug or something :D

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 pm

*gives you the biggest manliest bear hug*

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:32 pm

neps wrote:*gives you the biggest manliest bear hug*
Thanks man, Im sure gonna sleep better tonight :)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:33 pm

I've posted it here viewtopic.php?f=1041&t=11724

KITTRINA
Recruit

Post by KITTRINA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:51 pm

:D :D so happy!!!!!!!! thank you for taping the commercial. KITT just isn't KItt without turbo boost!!!! :D :D

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:03 am

weeezl wrote:
sarfraz wrote:...and you'll have a lynch mob after you before you know it if its false :wink:

Sarfraz
Now someone else has confirmed that the turbo boost teaser exists, can i come out of hiding? :wink:
hahaha, ofcourse you can. This is one of the few times I'm happy to be proven wrong :lol:

Come on NBC, don't fail us know or I'll have a new and improved lynch mob ready for ya :mrgreen:

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:24 pm

weeezl wrote:
neps wrote:I have it on tape! Digitizing now!
Do you believe me now?, I take my KR very seriously, can I get like a hug or something :D
neps wrote:*gives you the biggest manliest bear hug*
I will never doubt you again Weeezl! *Sue jumps in and makes it a group hug!!!

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:44 pm

Sue wrote:
I will never doubt you again Weeezl! *Sue jumps in and makes it a group hug!!!
Thank you Sue , a hug from a very pretty girl, my birthdays come early this year! :wink:

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:06 pm

KITT: Yeah...I'm shiny.

MJ: ROLMAO!!

Priceless.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight