Why don't Pontiac let the movie use Trans-Ams?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Chuckysan
Volunteer

Post by Chuckysan » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:25 pm

YES! Thanks KOSI!!!!

I was pretty sure they were '66s in xXx but one of my friends, the so called "expert" swore up and down it was a '68. I couldn't remember which year was which with the tail lights, but now that I know ... :) :) :)

While we're discussing Pontiac, does anyone remember or know what their original (aka 2 year ago) plan was for the F-body? I rememeber something about them wanting to kill off the line but bring it back in a few years as a modern classic, such as was done with Ford's Thunderbird. I know the excuse for killing the F-bodies were poor sales, but I always had the gut reaction that the Corvette boys got tired of a pony car creeping closer and closer to their performance level for half the price :) Anyone know if the nameplates (Firebird/Camaro) are coming back?

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:02 am

knightimmortal wrote: The KR car has been gone from the Universal display for a long time, and parked in the rear area, covered in bird poo.

So sad :cry:

IceKnight
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by IceKnight » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:21 am

There's been talk, and below are some concept drawings from Motor Trend's website for the Camaro, but as far as I know, there's been no specific mention of confirmation of bringing the models back.

ImageImageImage

My personal fav is the blue one. I'd buy one :)

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:38 am

Chuckysan wrote:While we're discussing Pontiac, does anyone remember or know what their original (aka 2 year ago) plan was for the F-body? I rememeber something about them wanting to kill off the line but bring it back in a few years as a modern classic, such as was done with Ford's Thunderbird. I know the excuse for killing the F-bodies were poor sales, but I always had the gut reaction that the Corvette boys got tired of a pony car creeping closer and closer to their performance level for half the price :) Anyone know if the nameplates (Firebird/Camaro) are coming back?
Corvettes aside it was a straight business decision based on lack of sales. The original plan was to kill them off in 1996, but internally people fought to keep the F-Body alive for a few more years and they won their case and got a slight front/rear redesign and engine upgrade from LT1 to LS1 in 98. GM decided in 96 to not upgrade the chassis to become compliant with '03 safety laws so that didn't look to bright for its future as well as an underused plant with meager production due to very little sales.

As for the future, Scott Settlemire, who was the Assistant Camaro Brand Manager and is now on the Corvette team, attends many F-Body gatherings across the country, he also posts on a few F-Body message boards. He swears up and down that GM is thinking about making a future Camaro true to its heritage RWD, V8, 2 doors. The current program to develop the Camaro is "unofficial" but there are still motorheads at GM working on their own time (read: overtime) putting together businesses cases for a new Camaro, and submitting them. As Settlemire likes to say Camaro is still one of the most recognized car names in North America. It remains to be seen which RWD chassis they'll use. As for the Firebird/Trans Am, no word on its future as it seems to get ignored in the discussion and there's no one really spearheading an effort to revive this nameplate, unfortunately.

I wouldn't mind if the next Camaro looked like this:

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:03 pm

don't like it that Camaro Concept is UGLY.

Michael SS-R
Recruit

Post by Michael SS-R » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:52 am

I love it, I have a 2000 Camaro SS and that orange car would be perfect as a new Camaro...

I think they should use a Corvette for the updated KITT:

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:03 pm

I had origin ally edited a picture, but apparently I can't link to it.

Crusing
Recruit

Post by Crusing » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:09 pm

Speaking of Pontiac Trans Am and television have you seen that Mountain Dew commercial were the two guys are in the car which is clearly a Pontiac. They drive the car up into the air and the one guy catches the soda from the boy who is about to drink it and the driver drinks it in mid air.

It has the familiar Firebird logo on the hood and also for about a second you can see the little Pontiac logo on the front. The car looked to be one of the older Trans Am from the late 70's.

They let them use a Pontiac in that commercial.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:11 pm

Yeah, they did, but they didn't mention the name, and it was an older model Pontiac. Pontiac allows all kinds of uses of their vehicles, as long as they are not specially designed vehicles that cause people to want to have those functions. (like the buttons, the scanner, etc.)

KI

Crusing
Recruit

Post by Crusing » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:03 pm

Hey I found a picture of the car from that Mountain Dew ad. Just go to this site. :D

http://www.pontiac.com/firebird/images/brand_photo5.jpg

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:11 pm

It's one of my favorite commercials...

Big file, short clip: 2.5 MB, 15 seconds
http://www.newknightrider.com/mpegs/dew.mpg

This Trans Am does the barrel-roll that KITT talked about doing in Slammin' Sammy.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

SeiferV440
Volunteer

Post by SeiferV440 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:47 pm

screams to the Pontiac Industry... "WHY DON'T YOU LET K.I.T.T. USE THE NEW VERSION OF THE TRANS AM"... Dam It

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:23 pm

Pontiac industry: "Because we don't make it anymore!!!"

Sorry, couldn't help that one.

KI

SeiferV440
Volunteer

Post by SeiferV440 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:46 pm

screams back to the Pontiac industry... "THEN YOU SHOULD... CAUSE K.I.T.T IS BACK IN ACTION BABY"... hehe

(ponders to himself... dam you pontiac)