Gary Scott Thompson Interview!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

cajunknight0153
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Gary Scott Thompson Interview!

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue May 13, 2008 6:04 pm

i have an idea for Gary, about KITT's turbo boost. i just saw speed racer this weekend and loved it, and i really loved the jump jacks on the mach 5, which i noticed pretty much all the cars had them on the movie instead of just the mach 5 like in the series, anyway, i was thinking that would be pretty cool for KITT. i was thinking they could like combine the original turbo boost with the jump jacks and maybe even combine that with the flying DeLorean Time Machine from back to the future 2

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue May 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Wouldn't that involve too much animation? In the original series everything seemed so real and not computer generated and that's what we should focus on...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue May 13, 2008 8:17 pm

No jacks, never cared for it, even in the original cartoon. Besides, it'd just make people scream about it being a blatant Speed Racer ripoff.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Wed May 14, 2008 12:06 am

I agree with Pheonixzero. Nothing about that movie with respects to how the cars handled themselves made any sense nor is it clear how the car managed to land undamaged each time it flipped upside down, it was just covered up by quick edits.

I would favor something more based on some sort of compressed air vent system running under the car chassis like in the Davelix game.

=VK=
:dash:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:28 am

Speed Racer is a stupid ass acartoon.....

No jacks, never cared for it, even in the original cartoon. Besides, it'd just make people scream about it being a blatant Speed Racer ripoff.

ALSO: PLEASE, NO FLYING Car, that's ridiculous.......don't even suggest it.....

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed May 14, 2008 11:28 am

ALSO: PLEASE, NO FLYING Car, that's ridiculous.......don't even suggest it.....
We have to respect everyones opinion; nevertheless, I agree!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun May 18, 2008 4:42 am

I just watched the Al Pacino flick 88 Minutes the other night, which was written by—you guessed it—Gary Scott Thompson. Let's just say there's a reason he didn't mention the movie in his interview. :?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun May 18, 2008 6:15 am

:lol: That bad huh? You know, I still am not totally convinced after seeing his resume. But as long as he "gets it" it shouldn't be that big a deal. I'm slightly amused that he wrote the two K9 sequels, well at least came up with the story for the third one. I saw the original way too much when I was little, my mother is to blame for that but at least it was an alright movie, can't say that about the second and third one, especially the second one. From what I remember, the second one was rather depressing. Okay, I've written way too much about K9.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun May 18, 2008 1:08 pm

I wasn't going to mention 88 Minutes because people would brand me as a trouble maker or whatever but both Glen and I watched that trainwreck at his place and it was to say the least possibly the worst movie Al Pacino has ever done in his career. On the flipside though, Thompson did an outstanding job in my opinion with The Fast and the Furious so there's still some hope.

The fact that Thompson is willing to talk to Knight Rider fans and get some feedback from people like Neil shows at least he's making an effort to try and "get" what the fans already know. I respect that, we'll see how it plays out though in September I gather.

=VK=
:dash:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun May 18, 2008 2:06 pm

I'm actually quite disappointed in their overall effort for the pilot! I mean Knight Rider goes way back and a lot has been said about it over the years in terms of plot, suspense, music, cast, directors and producers etc.

What surprises me is that there are so many ways of assembling ideas and stuff, for example community forums such as the Knightrideronline.com and yet they leave out so many gaps! The idea is to read through the forums and you will get an idea of what the fans want! Everything is of course not applicable but atleast you know what the people are expecting to see. For instance, you guys were talking about using the Vette instead of the Mustang and whether it was possible at that time I don't know; nevertheless, they told us that they wanted an american muscle car so why not the Vette? It's much more convinient in terms of shape and design that of the Mustang...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun May 18, 2008 6:44 pm

And again, the car had to be pretty much cost neutral and GM wasn't interested. Besides that, the Corvette is a two-seater so that automatically disqualifies it.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun May 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Cost neutral?!?!?!?!?!? The customized Mustang (in Kitt modification) costs around $150 000!

A stock Shelby GT500 Convertible is based at $47,155 (500-hp 5.4L 32-valve supercharged and intercooled V8)
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/models/

A stock Corvette Coupe 2008 is based at $47,700 (430-hp 6.2L LS3 V8 aluminum-block engine)
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/

As you can see they both have V8 engines and they develope almost the same amount of bhp. So there are lots of different models to choose from. If GM wasn't interested, then that's a different story.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue May 20, 2008 7:15 pm

First, they didn't pay for the cars, thus why they're cost neutral and what little work the did with the customizing certainly didn't cost them anywhere near $150,000 to do what little work that was done, unless Belker and the guys that did the work were paid significantly more than what they were worth. Maybe that figure could be all together for all the cars used and the cost of maintaining them. Either way, I believe that $150,000 has nothing to do with the TV movie and just a figure GST threw out there in relation to the new version of the car(s) they're working on for the series.

Oh and you completely ignored the fact that the Corvette is a two-seater which disqualifies it anyway, aside from, you know the fact that GM wasn't interested (as was stated months ago) so it wouldn't have happened in the first place, even if the Corvette was a four seater. Ford, like it not, paid a good chunk of change to have their car in the show, now if only they'd allowed them to remove the stupid emblems and the director didn't film the car in a way that made it look like a Ford commercial.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 pm

First of all, $150 000 is nothing compared to what the Knight Rider car is worth. The Mustang is based at $47,155 as I told you previously which leaves us with $100 000 to spend on the modifications and that's not a lot!

Second of all, the Gary Thompson interview confirms the value of the car which leads me to say that I didn't pick the numbers from out of the blue.
"-The way we have it tricked out, that Shelby's about 155,000 dollars. It ain't a cheap car."
http://shadowyflight.com/news/2008/04/e ... ompson.php

As for the Corvette being a two seater, what's up with that? Why does that disqualify the car?

knight two thousand
Volunteer

Post by knight two thousand » Tue May 20, 2008 7:34 pm

there are certain things that make kitt, kitt even on his future models these things are

he must be black

he must have 2 doors

he must have a backseat

idk why but that is what ive read and the vette lacks a backseat

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Tue May 20, 2008 8:14 pm

I am really curious to see what the production team will use as a replacement for the attack vehicle. Afterall the new producer (Gary Scott Thompson)has stated a desire to toy will the capabilities of morphing technology. Will the production team redesign the wheel and take a new stock mustang and redesign it or do you feel they may go with a new approach? We could theoretically see the team get KITT to morph into another Ford Vehicle (e.g GT40, CRV1 or F150 etc). This idea is possible as changing the synthetics of the car had been tried and tested before in a one off episode of season 4. However it would go against the mould of the original series, but hey we are in the 21st Century here not to rule any possibility out. The producers are looking at pushing the capability of the car to the limit and it will be interesting to see what they come up with. (these are ideas and to my knowledge have in no way been indorsed or integrated into production of the new series)

As Phoenix Zero has already pointed out in previous posts; due to the high production costs of the alternative vehicles I have illustrated any such vehicles would be subject to limited appearances only- but a possibility none of the less

I would love to help write this series but I can only dream. Its good to read all of your ideas and thoughts. Keep up the good work and lets all help keep the dream of the Knight Rider alive