Another Problem [K.I.T.T. The Cat]

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

sidemachine
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Another Problem [K.I.T.T. The Cat]

Post by sidemachine » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:44 pm

Hello, Everyone.

Ran into a snag while watching my Season 2 set. I started watching "K.I.T.T. The Cat" (the cat-burglar episode with Geena Davis in it). Even from the pre-openning (quick scenes of the episode), my DVD started artifacting (glitching). It got so bad that, after a few minutes in, it froze all together.

I'm pretty sure it's just that episode 'cause I went backward to "Return to Cadiz". That played okay again. Then I skipped forward to "Custom K.I.T.T." and that played fine. Haven't had problems with any of the other episodes so far.

Will hate to have to take the DVDs back to the store I bought them from to exchange them but, if that's what it takes to get DVDs that work all the way through, that's what it takes.

My question to everyone is, has anyone had similar problems with ANY of the episodes doing the same thing (glitching/artifacting/freezing) in ANY of the season DVDs? Any warning shared would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
sidemachine
http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

P.S. I did check to see if it was just my DVD player by playing the same episode on another player in my house. Sure enough, same problem, same episode.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:02 pm

YES, sadly alot of my epsidoes have been doing that.

the releases ar total garbage. I can only watch 2/3rds of
my Goliath episode as it freezes up. I had another one
do it the other day. Cheaply made, but it is expected from
Hollywood. Just out for the quick buck. :?
Brian - Knightdriver.com

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:27 am

I have all four seasons and on each season I get a few episodes that glitch and freeze when I play them on my computer. But I never get any problems when I play them on my x-box or when I play them on my portable dvd player. I only get problems when I play them on my computer. I can play any other dvd on my computer with no problems except for knight rider.

lauren9847
Volunteer

Post by lauren9847 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:09 pm

I've had a few episodes glitch when played on a DVD player.. I've also had a few discs that my computer's DVD won't read, then I try it again later & it works...

JLC31383
Volunteer

Post by JLC31383 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:03 am

My DVDs for Season 1, 2, and 4 all worked perfectly. However, I did have a problem with one episode on Season 3. It would freeze up at one scene on "Knight of the Chameleon" and jump to a later part. I could not understand that at first. Then I played it on another DVD player and instead of freezing up, a wavy line rolled down and took it to another part. I played it on another player once again, and this time it kept freezing up for a few seconds at several parts, then it eventually jumped to another scene. But I finally tried it on the one last other DVD player and it did exactly what it was supposed to. The only reason I did not trade it out for another set is because it worked fine on at least one DVD player and I did not feel like watching all the other episodes again. I was afraid that another episode might have been messed up on another set and I would have had to play that same game all over. I wish they would find a way to check all the DVDs in the factory to make sure they worked perfectly before sending them off to the stores.

sidemachine
Volunteer

More Developments...

Post by sidemachine » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:24 am

Greetings, Fellow Knight Rider Fans.

Thanx for all the feedback & responses, everyone. It's good to not feel alone as a fan.

After my previous post in this string, to my chagrine, I discovered that my DVD player was also not able to play the episode "Knightmares". Frustrated, I skipped ahead to "Silent Knight" which played just fine. Trying to figure out some kind of pattern, I realized that both "K.I.T.T. the Cat" and "Knightmares" are both the 3rd episode on their sides of the discs. So, I figured, maybe it was an equipment malfunction in the production of the DVDs.

However, reading rulloa81's reply gave me an excellent idea. I realized I hadn't tried to play my K.R. DVDs on my parents' computer. [They have a fairly new Dell desk-top computer that plays DVDs. The computer in my room does not.]

I gave it a shot & played "KITT the Cat" on their computer. To my happiness, it played just fine. I got to watch D.H.'s episode with Geena Davis and her distinguished butler "Griffin" with no problems at all.

Hoping my luck had changed consistently for the better, I popped in the disc with "Knightmares" on it but, alas, that one glitched pretty darn bad in the computer.

Yeah, I was angry. And I was really close to my final decision to exchange the discs for a replacement at the store I got them at. However, on a fluke, I tried "Knightmares" once again in my DVD player in my room. This was only about 24 hours after it failed to work in that same machine. HOWEVER, to my surprise, it WORKED, very much along the lines of what lauren9847 said!

So I really don't know what gives. I've made the final decision NOT to exchange my discs. [I'm sentimental that way.] Besides, as long as they play on some machine SOMEHOW, even though they're not 100% dependable all the time, at least I know they have the capacity to play. So, I'm keeping them.

I hope my fellow fans experience very few problems with the DVDs if any at all. Me, I'm almost done with Season 2 and will have to worry about getting Season 3. I'm planning on calling Universal & possibly ordering/buying a "corrected audio" version directly from them. I hope that goes well.

Best wishes,
sidemachine

P.S. The DVD player in my room is a Sony and it's not very old at all. I think I purchased it in 2003 or 2004. So, I tend not to chalk up the difficulties to "old equipment". It's all a mystery to me.

KITT-e-katt
Volunteer

Post by KITT-e-katt » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:07 am

I have had problems with my dvd's too. I thought maybe it was my DVD player.

Does anyone elses fade in and out?? Sometimes its so dark, I cannot even see KITT. ???

alexmain_za
Recruit

Post by alexmain_za » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:53 am

I have only had serious glitching etc with my season 2 set, I sent it in for replacement from the States (I have all region 1 discs, even though I stay in a region 2 area - South Africa).
It's time to bring back "Knight Rider"

psvl6
Recruit

Post by psvl6 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:44 pm

I have seasons 1,2 and 4. The only problem I have had at all is that my Knight Rider 2000 The movie bonus disc will not work in my dvd player it only works in my computer. I haven't had any problems with any of the episodes but it is anoying that I have to watch the bonus disc only on the computer. But I guess I am lucky I have no other problems.

Pam
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/da ... hoffworld/