Volkswagen makes Kitt feature reality

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

March2875
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Volkswagen makes Kitt feature reality

Post by March2875 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:01 am

On my welcome menu was a link to the Detroit car show. I was flipping through the pictures of concept cars when I came across a Volkswagen Touareg. This new SUV will be availble later on this year. One of its features is a new Handsfree keyless entry system that automatically unlocks the door when the handle is touched by its owner. This is clearly a feature KITT has.

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:01 pm

I'm guessing that the keyless entry system works by scanning finger prints (as some entry systems at high level do). Was it as 'Tomorrow's World' as it appeared on Knight Rider, in that case? Was such a device possible in the 80s? Kitt's entry system wasn't really trumpeted on the series - we saw Michael use it to get into the car, and others fail when they tried the same - but it wasn't drowned in a sea of technobabble. It was an innovative little touch, so maybe it was already a possibility at the time

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:27 pm

but was KITT's door locking system really based on scanning the prints? Or was it more of KITT recognizing the person trying to open the door and deciding to allow that individual access.

Although the Volkswagon thing is pretty neato.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:40 pm

Now this is a feature I really need considering i lose like 8 pairs of car keys a week. Heh maybe one day....anyway, nice find.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:21 pm

Either way its similar enough for us to la claim LOL.

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:19 pm

the new mercedes S-Class has something like that
only it unlocks it self when the owner approaches the vehicle...due to that lil credit card sized thing,owners of the vehicle are given....and the sensors on the car pick it up when the owner is near
for the ignition,it has this lil tip on the gearshift on which u have to put ur finger or something,and the car starts up :) neat or what

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:50 am

Hopefully an aftermarket Kitt-like keyless entry system will be available someday :D
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Jp.Knight2000
Recruit

Post by Jp.Knight2000 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:19 pm

Hi.
If you have any informations about it ( article or photos ) , please let on the forum !!
One man can make the difference.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:25 pm

You know, I was reading Driving in the Sunday Times a while back and it talked about something that I would love my car to have:

Imagine for a moment you have won the lottery. You decide that with money no longer an object you will buy a really fast car: a Ferrari Enzo, Porsche 911 Turbo or Lamborghini Murciélago.

Taking it for a spin, you come to a set of traffic lights and pull up alongside what appears to be a rather noisy, 30-year-old banger. Smirking slightly, you resolve to flaunt your new toy and show the driver of this ageing rust-bucket who is boss.

The light turns green, you slam your foot on the gas but, to your absolute horror and disbelief, your expensive, rakish, cutting-edge supercar is left trailing in the smokey old nail’s wake.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 52,00.html

There are heavily-modified, supercharged cars that will accelerate from 0 - 60 mph in 2.6 seconds! Maybe not quite as fast as KITT but close enough. Imagine yourself in your KITT conversion. Some guy in a Ferrari laughs at you and you out-accelerate him (NOTE: the driver of the Ferrari is deemed to be male since you get far less female racers.Only prob is that the cars do 10mpg so its really only for showing off.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:46 pm

Centaurus17 wrote:Now this is a feature I really need considering i lose like 8 pairs of car keys a week. Heh maybe one day....anyway, nice find.
Sounds like my wife. I told her I need to find a key chain that you can whistle for and it chirps when you whistle so you can find your keys.

Are those even made any more? I don't need the one made by Q in one of the 007 movies with Timothy Dalton where he whistled a tune and nerve gas came out of it. It was also magnetic and could be whistled at to blow up. What an invention.

Dave

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:03 pm

I told my boss at work about this keyless entry system because He's a mechanic and also a fan of KR so I thought he'd be interested in it. His reaction was great now if a thief wants your car they just cut off your hand.