Knight Rider Conventions

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

OzarkKnight
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider Conventions

Post by OzarkKnight » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:53 pm

I know I'm new to the boards but has anyone ever done any Knight Rider Conventions? The kind where you would have some of the TV Knight Rider stars that would come in and sign autographs, replicas of KITT, and vendors.
Do you think anybody would attend the shows if they were done right?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:57 pm

There used to be KnightCon back in the 90's, but the big problem is, that Knight Rider as a whole doesn't have a very large following, and too many people want it in their backyards. The closest otherwise, is Knight Nationals, and even they have problems over there. A few would probably attend, but as has been proven in the community in the past, there ends up with conflict.

There have been many offers to do it before, even done right, but in the end, the arguments ended up too detrimental, and everybody wanted it as I said, in their backyards. And then you have the youth, who probably wouldn't be able to make it due to school or parental intervention.

Just a general history filler for ya. :)

KI

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:54 am

i remember that KI.. that just kind of dissolved.

i think it could work though, if someone hosted it at one location. if people got upset over where it was going to be held, just say 'too bad, if you want to go, you will go here.' you can't please everyone..

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:06 am

I'm holding out until the movie gets released (whether that's in 2 years, or 10 years, I'll wait.) Then I'd like to get a parade of KITT conversions to take over Hollywood Boulevard and park in front of the Chinese Theater (assuming that Knight Rider opened there). We can have some sort of standard get-together in a hotel with speakers or whatever, but it would be really cool to bring a Knight Rider "convention" more out into the public.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

OzarkKnight
Volunteer

Post by OzarkKnight » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:40 am

I don't really know what has gone in the past but I thinking about doing a KnightCon which would include former stars of Knight Rider, KITT replicas and venders. Start small and build.
How many "true" replicas are there out there? I saw where there were only 16 at the Nat's. Sounds more like a Trans Am convention to me.
I don't know, like I said I wasn't there.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:15 am

Well there is probably nearly 150-200 people with replicas. At knightreplicas.com they have about 110 registered people there. The thing with replicas is alot of people treat them like they are their babies, and traveling to Ohio isn't always worth the risk to them. Of course a Hollywood based Con would be the ultimate goal, because the problem with Ohio is that alot of Famous people wont want to be put out to go there. If it's in their home town, its a heck of alot easier to drop in for a bit. But for now, Knight Nationals is a great event, that is well put together and attended by people who worked on the show, fans and replica owners alike.

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:42 am

A Knight Rider convention would be a great thing but a few facts about what it would take:

The location has to be around Hollywood CA....thats where most of the stars/actors/writers work. So right there and then your going to attract immediate attention.

The Galacticon I went to had at least a few nights stay at a Sheraton, different level memberships and of course if you have to fly to get there...easily $800-$900. If you bring your KITT imagine the cost associated with that!

Think of all the nightmares associated with getting everyone there and assuring them that we could make a profit.

Its a great dream but Mike is right---let us wait for a movie and do it then.

Richie

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:40 pm

Ok guys...

now here it is... actually at Summer 2004 it´s gonna happen... we will have a big Knight Rider Fan Convention ... the "Knight Con ´04" will happen in Frankfurt and we´ve already have David on our Site!!! He will attend to the Convention! So if you don´t believe, so feel free to ask Irene from the David Hasselhoff Online Fanclub and please have an ear on an wav-file, on my site...

I met David on Thursday here in Munich and he will come!!!

Also I hope you guys will come too, and we can bring up the biggest KR - Fan Con ever!!!

More Informations to come on www.knight-con.com

So thats my answer... and if anyone of you like to help to make this Event the BEST ONE so feel free to eMail me!!!

sandra@knight-rider.net

and now here it is my special recorded wav-file from David (6MB!):
http://www.swerni.co.uk/knightneu/david ... sfades.wav

(If anyone uses this tune for his website I am gonna kill him!!! ;) This tune is for Knight-Rider.net!)

also I think we will get some of the others Actors there!!!

Greetings Sandra from Germany

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:46 pm

Now THAT I know won't fly with most of the people on the board. I hate to be a ninny, but most of the people from KRO are from primarily the United States, and I know I, for one refuse to pay that kind of an expense to go to a convention overseas.

KI

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:54 pm

hmm I think it depends on what will happen ... ok I don´t know, but I am thinking positive... if the convention would take place in usa, the european-fans have to come to the us... so its equal.. see it as a holiday! ;)

Hope you will come... I promise it will be great!

OzarkKnight
Volunteer

Hey guys not to fret, we can make it happen in the ole USA

Post by OzarkKnight » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:46 pm

Relax, you don't have to go overseas. We can make it happen here as well. I wish the guy over there all of the luck, I hope it is a great show.

I want to do a series of KnightCons here in the good ole USA. I might be able to get David to show up over here, who knows. It would be neat to have KITT replicas at all of the shows but one or two would work for a while. I will concentrate on former Knight Rider stars as well as Knight Rider venders.

Anybody have some cities in mind? I'm thinking Little Rock, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Wichita, Memphis, and Shreveport to start off.
What do you guys think?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:02 pm

I'd have to agree, I wish you the best, I really do.. but at this time and place in my life, I can't justify going over seas for this. I think it would benifit from being in the US, because alot more of the replica owners are based here, and therefor would have a better turn out in that department.

OzarkKnight, while your enuthsiasm is appreciated, it may be a bit too "pumped" I'm not sure KnightCon the touring edition would be a good idea, because it would desaturate attendance. I think one Con would be the best option to achieve maxium effect. Imagine a Con in Hollywood? That would be amazing, perhaps accessing backlots where they shot the show, or the various locations they used. I would think the star attendance would be slim, because I don't think Hasselhoff is up to doing the Knight Rider tour thing, he already did that once in the 80s.

I'd put my money on one around the time of the movie release or series or whatever is next. Look how well the turn out was for the Galacticon. It had the right location (LA) and the right timing (right before the new mini series), and a great turn out (lots of people from in front and behind the cameras). I have no doubt that there will be a KnightCon worthy of everyone excitement and attendance, I just don't think now is the right time.

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:37 pm

I think we will see what will happen! ... for sure we keep working on Knight Con ´04 and for Europe it will be a good time... David releases a new album, his movies will be played on television

I stay on this... :)

OzarkKnight
Volunteer

Post by OzarkKnight » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:25 pm

I thought that you guys would be interested in some Knight Rider Conventions. I guess you are happy with the once a year thing. I think I will just display my KITT in car shows and do special promotions with it.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:04 pm

I think if you look at the statistics, fan bases for those who have conventions, including Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars, X-Files, they have a much larger fan base. If you spread it out over several little ones, none of them are going to do much of anything, and those who coordinate and put it together are going to end up with one heck of a defecit. (It managed to kill KnightCon in the first place) You will end up paying for it out of your pocket.

The key to any successful Convention (I know from the standpoint that I have had to put several together here in New Mexico and in Colorado) is that you have a concentrated and dedicated fan base. That doesn't exist, we have dedication, but concentration, you need to be able to hit them at one huge swoop rather than little ones here and there.

Sorry to disappoint, and sorry to quash your enthusiasm, but that is how it generally goes with this community, you have to make a concentrated effort, for all, rather than just a few, otherwise, they won't be happy. And you can't blame them, considering the general demographic that you are concentrating on.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:56 pm

A couple things...

For starters, that is a very cool clip Swerni, but the file is simply too big and slow for people who just want to take a quick listen. Instead of the 6.5 MB file, I made a lower-quality 860k version here:

http://www.teamknightrider.com/misc/dav ... fades2.wav

It's not linked on my site in any way, I'm just providing this as a convenience for people to get quicker downloads. If you would like me to remove it, I'll delete it immediately.

In Germany, I think Hasselhoff could go do his laundry and attract a big crowd. Unfortunately for us in the U.S., most of us will probably be left out. Our loss is Germany's gain.

But oddly, with some of the discount European flights leaving Los Angeles, depending on when the convention is it might actually be cheaper for me to fly to Germany than it would to be fly to Ohio for the Knight Nationals. There are some crazy deals out there.

I don't know how much (if any) help we can provide other than to say good luck and just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into because it could be a lot of work.

Mike

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:16 am

I wish you luck and success with your convention.

I know for a fact Stu Phillips would not mind traveling overseas, nor would Rebecca Holden.

Beyond that you have a tough road ahead of you. I'm afraid whatever connections I had for Knight Rider Legacy are private so I can not disclose their information.

Keep us informed.

Richie

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:38 am

flying overseas to frankfurt isn't all it's cracked up to be. when i flew over there it was a 9 hour flight and i got to see a sunset and a sunrise. it was really expensive when i flew.

yay for LA! that's just a hop, skip and a jump away.. although i'll be going to college in MN next year. dammit.

KITT
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:53 am

Flying to Europe is rough, and it's even worse coming from L.A. than D.C.

You can only search Travelocity a few months in advance, but I did a comparison: Flying from Los Angeles to Dayton Ohio (near location of Knight Nationals) I found a fare for $298. Flying to Frankfurt would cost me $397, just $100 extra. Obviously it would take a few extra vacation days to make up for the extra flight time and there would a lot of other miscellaneous expenses, but it can be done relatively cheaply.

I wouldn't expect much interest from the U.S. crowd, but if somebody was looking for an excuse for a European trip, they might be able to include a side trip to a Knight Rider convention as part of a larger European vacation. IF it actually happens. (trying to be realistic, not pessimistic.)

As for me personally, I'm old so I have plenty of vacation time coming. My biggest obstacle isn't the time but rather an irrational fear of flying. I fly several times a year and it makes me a nervous wreck every time.

Mike

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:33 pm

In response to what you just said Mike, I never have been on a plane when I could realize it. Having a major fear of heights, I refuse to get on one.

I don't see any reason to leave this country anyway. I've never been outside of the states and don't have a need to go anywhere. Don't feel like learning a bunch of foreign languages.

After what happened on September 11, 2001, I do not trust planes at all. I had a friend who goes on missionary trips to places like Russia. Everytime he would be leaving, I would fear for him and say my prayers. But he always came back. He told me not to worry about it and terrible things only happen like every 1 out of 200 times.
Last edited by ColeGrad01 on Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:31 pm

HI there...

just to take a look at http://web6.244161.vserver.de/knightcon/ ... so if you are interested you can join up for the newsletter...

Greetings Sandra

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:10 pm

you're not old, mike.

i would go to the european knight con if i had the money. i know enough german to get me by. germans are really nice and most of them know enough english so there wouldn't be so much of a language barrier.

KITT

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:23 pm

Hey dudes,

i remember my first ever post here on KRO, about 3 years ago or something now ! and it was in a thread about a convention, which never took off, oh well.

i hope this convention does great sandra ! i might even be so bold as too jump on a plane or even do the ultimate.....ROAD TRIP !! lol but its rather unlikely.

like knightimmortal said, everyone wants a KR convention in their backyard, which is totally true because if knightcon 2004 ended up in Newcastle here in england i wouldnt exactly be complaining, lol

Scott