How about a female as KITT?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

katz112
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How about a female as KITT?

Post by katz112 » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:48 pm

I don't know if this has ever been posted, but has anyone ever thought of what might have happened if KITT's voice was female?

Michael: "KITT, I need you"
KITT: "coming sugar"

KITT: "How come you always go out with other women, how come you never asked me"?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:48 pm

It's been posted, and it wasn't viewed very well, because well, nobody wants to see Michael hitting on KITT. It is just....slashy. Great for fan fic, for those with those tastes. Otherwise....ehhh, it would just change the chemistry of the pairing.

KI

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:52 pm

What's funny is according to Knight Rider novel #1 (penned by Glen A. Larson) Wilton first wanted the car to have a female AI named Agnes. :)

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:54 pm

LOL :roll: it's the name of one of my neighbours (that I don't like)... what a shame :lol: :lol:
Guillaume - Pontiac Trans AM 1984

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:56 pm

And as it is well known, the novels take a lot of creative license on the series, even though it was the initial creator who made the novels, they still went way beyond the canon boundaries.

KI

GB
Recruit

Post by GB » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:59 pm

No offense if there are people named Agnes here, I was only talking about my neighbour :wink:
Guillaume - Pontiac Trans AM 1984

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:25 pm

I was going to mention that "fact" from the novel. I mean, how can you say it's not apart of KITT's past when the series never even brought the point up in the first place???

...and the only reason KITT's voice didn't remain female was because people were afraid that given Michael's past history with women, he MIGHT ACTUALLY TRY to hit on Agnes...I mean Kitt.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:27 pm

It's very easy to say. The novels also created April as Devon's niece. They were facts that were not supported in the show, and just because they were not explored on the show does not make any sideline comment canonical. If that were the case, then us fan fiction writers would be Gods.

KI

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:36 pm

So that means I can't believe was Glen A. Larson created because it wasn't on the show?

The big difference between the novels and the fanfics is the novels were written by Glen. He created KR from the ground up. These were his original ideas. What the writers and producers in Hollywood did to them is another story.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:41 pm

Except that Glen created them after he handed the series over to the screen writers. Considering that Glen never had KARR invented in the first place, that KITT was the only and first one, then him turning around and turning it into a novel was hypocritical. As has been stated before, when it comes to canon, what we see on the screen is what we get, and what we deal with.

But if you want to blindly follow the novels word for word, then go right ahead, just don't expect the world to follow along with you. They aren't canon, even if they are written by the creator, because they were written after what the screen writers intended, and what the screen writers intended is what we got on the screen, it is what we all know, and it isn't creative license.

KI

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:47 pm

Personally I don't care who follows me and who doesn't. I believe what I want how I want. Can't accept the books as canon huh? I thought I lived in America, where I was free to believe what I wanted how I wanted.

I'm sorry, I presented an opinion. I won't do it again.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:50 pm

Oh give me a break.

Lay off the hurt puppy. You are free to state your opinion, but while you are at it, reflect upon what you are doing, I stated my opinion, and the general statements that have been offered on the board before, and instead, you are throwing a fit about them. So before you try to play the victim and make me the bad guy, look upon your actions first. I defend my statements with facts, and past commentary. I didn't tell you what you can or can't believe, just what I know.

KI

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:27 pm

Kitt;s voice being female? nah
I think it was the right choice to make Kitt's voice male.
After all cars are refered to as she or her ,made a nice change not to have that.

Bonnie Barstow
Volunteer

Post by Bonnie Barstow » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:45 pm

I don't think Glen Larson wrote the books at all. I think that the other guy (Roger Hill?) probably wrote them and GL got his name on the front because he was the creator and had power of veto on anything that contradicted what had already been established on the show.

But I could be wrong. :P

As for the Kitt as a woman thing, anybody here a Doctor Who fan? Every time there was a regeneration due someone brought up the possibility of a female doctor and every time the fans hated it. In the end Joanna Lumley did a good job of it. :shock:

Still, the thought of Kitt as a woman is kind of ... creepy.

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:47 pm

If that were true it would have been credited differently. Glen did indeed contribute to writing the books.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:04 pm

I think the operative word there is 'contribute'

KI