Michael Long and Kitt

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Michael Long and Kitt

Post by Centaurus17 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:19 pm

There has been debate whether Kitt was actually Michael Long's original trans am. When Michael first sees Kitt, he thinks that it is his old car, which can lead us to believe that the foundation modified Mike's original T/A and turned it into Kitt.

BUT, here is something that does not coincide with this theory. The amount of time that it would have taken to build a car the calibur of Kitt. For example, Kitt's prototype KARR was obviously built before Kitt, and due to his programming malfunction was aborted (or so we thought...).

Karr would have taken a significant amount of time to build, and of course Karr himself was also a black trans am. We can assume that when the foundation STARTED to work on Karr, it was much before they even met Michael Long. Secondly, if they had used Mike Long's car to build Kitt...how did they get the idea to make Karr a T/A in the first place.

So, this would mean that Kitt/Karr being black t/a's was just a coincidence with Mike Long's car. If anyone understood any of that jargon i wrote up there, congratulations. Lol

Any thoughts??

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:27 pm

In the original, Glen Larson had intended for KITT to be Michael's car. (Knight Rider Legacy) there wasn't supposed to be a KARR. He never seemed to take the long term logic into play, either, the only way it would have really worked to be Michael's car, is if they had everything ready to go and put in place once they got the car.

I agree with you, but it was Larson's intention for it to be Michael's car.

KI

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:37 pm

I always thought that Wilton had been watching Micheal for a long time. Long enough to know that he was comfortable in the Trans Am so he desinged Karr to be one. But as the time grew short they had to rush to build Kitt. THe used Micheal's car at the last minute as the rushed and finnished Kitt's program. Karr, who was suposed to be Micheal's car, was, as we all know, scraped.

Well, that's how it pans out in my mind, any way.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:41 pm

Well that brings in the question whether Wilton HAD been watching Michael for a long time. He could not have possibly known Michael was going to be shot in the face.

I guess if KI is right then its just another inconsistency in the KR world. =)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:04 pm

He had been watching him, but he probably didn't expect Michael to get shot in the face, but it just sped the plans ahead when Michael did walk right into that trap.

KI

nike2k
Volunteer

Post by nike2k » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:46 pm

Would the foundation of had time to build both Karr and Kitt before the found Michael Long? Since it was the first year of the new body style.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:51 pm

Technically, with the time space that had to be established with KARR, KARR shouldn't have looked like a 1982 T/A, but an earlier one.

KI

nike2k
Volunteer

Post by nike2k » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:01 pm

That would of been kinda cool seeing Karr as and 81 trans am. He would of been alittle bigger then Kitt. And mayby looked a little more aggressive.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:46 am

Another factor that would go against Kitt being Michaels car would be that Michael wasn't the original choice as operative. In the pilot of season 3 "Knight of the Drones" Devon tells Michael before we found you we had another man in mind. One of the criminals in this episode CJ Jackson went to prison for murdering this man as well as other crimes.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:35 pm

Which is why KARR existed, if you put those dots together, Ken Franklyn was supposed to be KARR's partner.

KI

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:57 pm

I think part of an explanation can come down to hospitalization time.
Being shot and left for dead seems pretty traumatic for me. I would imagine that the reconstruction alone would take mulitple surgeries. So, I'm banking that it took Michael at least 8 months to heal. In that time, they could have done a number of things. Granted, a project like KITT cannot be blueprinted and constructed overnight. But my guess is, they had a basic idea of how to fit any donor muscle car with KITT's/KARR's technology. Having found out what Michael drove, they then take that car, and set of blueprints, and set to work building it. From what I imagine, the Foundation wasn't building on a small scale, either. I imagine at least a few dozen hands in the mix. If this is the case, the work would progress very quickly. Don't forget, assembly lines can put a car together in 24 work hours. I'm not saying Knight Industries was an assemly line, but they could have built a vehicle from the ground up in 2-3 months, most likely.
What I'm saying is this. Wilton had lots of money, and lots of people working for him. And Michael underwent severe trauma that would take a very long time to heal. In that timeframe, it is plausible to conceive that Wilton, taking Michael's car as a donor car, could have built at least one of the cars in that timeframe.
Just my $.02. Maybe I put too much thought into it. 8)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:13 pm

Very possible. (I hypothesized that once before in past threads.) There is only one loophole: KARR.

But all of this can basically be solved by the fact that KARR wasn't supposed to exist in the first storyline. (neither was Garthe), and the fact that the KR writers wrote things on the spot, therefore making continuity a joke. Making sense of it all can give a person a nose bleed. (Sort of like talking about temporal dynamics on Star Trek)

Examples of the right hand not remembering what the left was doing in writing:

1) Garthe and KARR were not Larson inventions, they were created later by the script writers for those episodes.

2) Merchants of Death: The Southern California thing. Cute, but considering that KITT has California license plates, it is not like they are going there for the first time. (Which is how they made it seem.)

3) Michael Long was supposed to be a loner, all by himself, no family, no attachments: And then there was suddenly Stevie. And the pure fact that Michael didn't remember her until the episode.

4) Knightmares suddenly shows Michael Long's residence in California, which means that if he was a California cop, he and Muntzy were way out of their jurisdiction in Knight of the Phoenix, when they were in Reno.

There are many more, they end up nitpicks en masse.

KI

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:27 pm

Well, here goes.... *Big breath*

About the 1982 T/A thing... who knows when the show was really taking place.. it could have been 3 months after it was produced.. or 2 years... either way, the components could ahve been produced, and they just needed a body. And with KITT, they had shifts working around the clock day and knight, so who is to say that they didn't do that for KARR? And the whole thing about not remembering Stevie, he sustained SEVERE head trauma, and the mind has ways of repressing things. I was in a serious car crash 7 years ago, and there are things that I still don't know that I should.. but every once in a while, I see a picture and that memory flashes in my head and I remember it. I mean when I woke up the first time, I had 5 strangers standing over me asking if I was alright... I found out later that they were my parents, sister, and grand parents.. it took me over a WEEK to finally convince me that they were.. not to mention all the other things.. anyway... about the CA cop thing... they could have been plants with the FBI or something helping out. Making them not out of their jurisdiction. and the whole California license plates thing... Maybe the mansion is on the WAY east side of the state or WAY north.. or both, so the idea of going to the coast to the beach with the Beach Boys and the Sexy women in Bikini's would fit. *gasps for air* I think thats enough for now.. :)
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6