Could Kitt have knocked out goliath's Wheel?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

whet
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Could Kitt have knocked out goliath's Wheel?

Post by whet » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:38 pm

I have wondered if it would have been possable to knock out the right front wheel of Golath.
if it had gone to michael's plan it still would shurely made one heck of a mess of Kitt.
Then again they had to be a head to head it would have been a bit dull if Kitt had just turned round and sped off.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:49 pm

Michael's plan was dumb. It wouldn't have worked no matter what wheel he tried, so no, KITT would have had the same ending.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:38 pm

Hold on, now. I would have to dis-agree. The basic physics are there. KITT's hood and outer cockpit are shaped like the basic wedge. A wedge coated in MBS, no less. The problem lay in both KITT's and Goliath's front ends. Had KITT been able to bury his relativly flat nose into the ground, then Goliath's front tyre, NOT it's heavily defensive and flat grille, would have drove right over KITT's hood and windshield like a gigantic speed bump. A bump so big that it would have lopsided Goliath's center of gravity and rotated it onto it's driver-side door. It's just that KITT was not riding low enough to clear the grille, thus resulting in flat surface hitting flat surface and the lower mass object (being KITT) losing the joust.

I have got to wonder if KITT could have cleared the grille, had he dropped the front hydraulic suspension just a second before impact.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:49 pm

So....physics proves that Michael's idea was dumb. And please note, he wanted to knock it out, not be a speed bump.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:00 pm

No. I believe I meant that Michael's idea was simplistic. Not dumb. The only dumb part was on behalf of KITT not taking the measurements and telling Michael that the clearance wasn't there. Of course, KITT was probably clueless as to Michael's plan, convienently.

And, how would tilting Goliath off it's wheels and onto it's side NOT be consiered an instant knock out? In boxing, knocking the opponent off their feet for a short count can be considered a KO.
Last edited by jup on Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:02 pm

He wanted to knock out Goliath's wheel, not knock out Goliath.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:18 pm

And, I've always interpreted that attack as being a wedge based attack plan. Else, how would charging the wheel from the tread side be of any use as an attack?

Count Dracula
Recruit

Post by Count Dracula » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:37 pm

Your all forgetting something. Kitts wheels are coated with the MBS, we see ppl try to pierce the tiers all the time. Remember the old man at the gas station in season one that gave Michale a free gas price because he could not hack Kitt? He tried puncturing the wheels. They are as near indestructable as the entire body is.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:41 pm

Sorry, but huh?

We are talking about Goliath's wheels, Michael wanted to take Goliath's wheel out. Yeah, it was covered with the MBS, something that Michael seemed to neglect.

KI

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:58 am

I've always wondered if KITT's programming is to protect Michael's life, why didn't he try and take control of the car from Michael, because in my opinion, going head on with a semi would be a pretty large endangerment of human life, MBS, or no MBS. :shock:

Or maybe he did try, and it was cut out? :?

KITTFAN2003
Recruit

Post by KITTFAN2003 » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:33 am

My question is how did KITT get put back together so quickly after he was damaged in part one of "Goliath"? After all, he was pretty badly smashed up.

Also, After Michael took out Goliath, how could the mega semi have exploded? Michael didn't hit the gas tank, did he?

Robin :)

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:51 am

He hit the rocket luanchers, and somehow, that made smoke in the cabin and eventually Goliath exploding, how however? I haveno idea...

Speaking of Garth and Karr teaming up, didn't someone do a fanfic of that once?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:32 am

Garthe and KARR in fan fic- used to be a pretty common dalliance at one point.

The reason why KITT didn't take over: it was all in Michael's hands, and as we saw in the pilot, as long as Michael was in the driver's seat, and of relative sound mind and body, KITT had to obey.

The reason why KITT was put together so quickly: the damage wasn't all that bad, he was still functional and operable, he wasn't completely destroyed, so once they had gotten KITT back into April's care, she (and most likely her assistants) got to work right away. In addition, they didn't totally establish how long it was between the return to the Foundation and KITT's return to the road.

And finally, they hit Goliath's rocket launcher, which caused the rocket to refract upon itself, sort of like putting a metal plug on a gun, it can backfire into itself, the rocket launcher shorted out back into the cabin of the truck, therefore making a big ol mess that allowed Michael to gain some sort of advantage, and to get Goliath out of his hair.

KI
(errr, ya all don't mind me answering these things do ya, it's not too hostile?)

Count Dracula
Recruit

Post by Count Dracula » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:43 am

knightimmortal wrote:Garthe and KARR in fan fic- used to be a pretty common dalliance at one point.

The reason why KITT didn't take over: it was all in Michael's hands, and as we saw in the pilot, as long as Michael was in the driver's seat, and of relative sound mind and body, KITT had to obey.
Kitt could have taken over. Kitt probably knew of the danger, but did nothing about it. Kitt taken over with Trust Dosn't Rust, and when a rocket was shoved up his backside (ejecting Michal out before Kitt got trashed).

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:33 am

i can see where you're coming from with the wedge idea, and that if he had sat there explaining all of that in the show it (sitting there explaining) would've slowed that part down and been unrealistic in the face of such impeding danger.

KITT isn't hit on the front though, he is hit on the side. it always looked to me that, with both KITT and Goliath being made of the same material, that going for the wheel would be the only logical point of impact if impact had to be taken. it was definitely a last-ditch attempt and an act of desperation, but that always came across perfectly in the script to me that it was meant to be that. yep, they (michael and KITT) were trying to use KITTs indestructible shell to slide them under Goliath a little bit (this is only my opinion from watching it), but not to completely wedge themselves under there, just enough to hit the wheel which, being linked only via axle (ok, still MBS but so is KITT so it's about as logical as this scenario can get ;) ) would hopefully be knocked off or at least out of shape enough to stop Goliath from moving. good plan (and KITT must've known it was the best shot they had), but the sheer strength of Goliath was underestimated.

??

the novel "mirror image" gave me the same impression when i read it too.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:10 pm

Count Dracula wrote:
knightimmortal wrote:Garthe and KARR in fan fic- used to be a pretty common dalliance at one point.

Kitt could have taken over. Kitt probably knew of the danger, but did nothing about it. Kitt taken over with Trust Dosn't Rust, and when a rocket was shoved up his backside (ejecting Michal out before Kitt got trashed).
When did KITT take over in Trust Doesn't Rust? He was arguing desperately to not go through with the head on plan. And in Knight of the Drones, KITT had already taken it upon himself to go beyond his programming, and he knew the odds of total damage there.

KI

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:20 pm

KITT took over in Trust Doesn't Rust during the showdown... yes he was arguing, but there was one scene where he declared he was taking over, and did- Michael then protested and punched the manual button a bunch of times, and KITT continued to argue.

-Scott
knightimmortal wrote:When did KITT take over in Trust Doesn't Rust? He was arguing desperately to not go through with the head on plan. And in Knight of the Drones, KITT had already taken it upon himself to go beyond his programming, and he knew the odds of total damage there.

KI

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:37 pm

Ahhhh, right. Sorry.

I have my wrong moments.

KI

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:35 pm

Don't be sorry- we're all entitled to wrong moments because we're all human.

-Scott
knightimmortal wrote:Ahhhh, right. Sorry.

I have my wrong moments.

KI

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:51 pm

And the fan fic is "A Knight With the Viper.. the Viper team teams up with KITT and Michael to get KARR and Garthe... printed off.. its about half an inch thick.. MUCH better than soul survivor being over an inch thick!! LOL... oh well.
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:18 am

Michael's plan in Goliath was, as KITT might say, "at best, foolhardy." I am amazed that KITT didn't recognize that as well. I don't think KITT could have gone under Goliath's front grill if his undercarriage were dragging the ground. It amazes me that KITT didn't really warn Michael. Then again, KR does fall into the same basic mold as Chaucerian romance, in which things just happen without good explanation, and the audience is expected to just accept it. I think KR does that quite a bit.

DK

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:05 am

i think he's referring to when kitt ejected michael in "knight of the drones" right before that tbird shoved a missile up his ass

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:38 pm

Darknight wrote:Then again, KR does fall into the same basic mold as Chaucerian romance, in which things just happen without good explanation, and the audience is expected to just accept it. I think KR does that quite a bit.

DK
And, this is where syndication ruins the show...in keeping the facts and scenes constant. It's really a shame. (Although, the original "unedited" form may have had some guilty flaws with this, too...)

KITTFAN2003
Recruit

Post by KITTFAN2003 » Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:23 am

[quote="KITTvsKARR"]And the fan fic is "A Knight With the Viper.. the Viper team teams up with KITT and Michael to get KARR and Garthe... printed off.. its about half an inch thick.. MUCH better than soul survivor being over an inch thick!! LOL... oh well.[/quote]

I would be interested to read this story. Where can I find it?

Robin :D

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:25 am

Other than in on my desk, I am not sure.... supposedly it has been killed.....
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6