New KITT Suggestions

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Jp.Knight2000
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Jp.Knight2000 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:02 pm

Im' sorry but i don't know how is this car ... :?
One man can make the difference.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:04 pm

I think you need to go to the Dukes of Hazzard board, and never mention Dodge Charger (any model) here again.... ;)

KI

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:33 pm

At least he wasn't suggesting another HerbieKitt :wink:

Cheri

JennKitt
Volunteer

Post by JennKitt » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:23 pm

Actually I had thought about suggesting the Dodge Charger as well.

*shrugs* I'm trying to keep an open mind. I liked the Dukes of Hazard too, but the car you see above and the original look almost nothing alike.

JennKitt 8)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:27 pm

Thats actually kinda nice. Would that be bad if they picked that because of the lines Dukes connection? I can see the fans rioting now!

Knightling
Recruit

Post by Knightling » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:36 pm

It's just a suggestion because of the style...so don't have a little hissy-fit knightimmortal!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:06 pm

she wasn't having a hissy fit, didn't you catch the :wink: face?

can't we all just get along?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:15 pm

So sorry, Knightling, I didn't know that you were incapable of taking a joke. I shall endeavor to be more serious with you in the future so you don't get in a twist.

And I still wouldn't suggest a Dodge Charger for KITT. Seriously.

1) Brand name association could cause a few technical difficulties. It is the same reason why the Viper wouldn't work, either.

2) KITT blending in is all fine and well, him looking like your standard car on the street -- too much blending.

3) I am totally keeping an open mind, within sensibility. Remember, just throwing out a car out there without keeping in mind the traditions and the concepts of what KITT really was is pretty juvenile. If we are going to settle with that concept, how about we just go for any old jalopy they can find multitudes of? If you are going to dream, dream within the right boundaries.

KI

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:41 pm

Well the Viper problem has another level of complexity that the Charger doesn't have. (wow, both of them are dodges) The Viper still looks like it did when the TV showed Aired. This Charger however, isn't your Momma's Charger. It looks very different.

katz112
Recruit

Post by katz112 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:23 pm

Please leave Dodge's to the Dukes family!

KRAvenger
Rookie

Post by KRAvenger » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:29 pm

I like the car, but to me it suggests "The fast and the Furious" or the"XXX" movie with Vin Diesel, who was mentioned as a possible lead for the KR film; and while i didn't say anything at the time, I would boycott this movie if he were to star in it, which is My roundabout way of saying "probably not."

Karrs_Shadow
Volunteer

Post by Karrs_Shadow » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:32 pm

Actually, style changed subtily a couple of years but the 2003 Viper makes the older model look like something from a cartoon. More horsepower, full convertable, complete remodeling of the lines...and a reversion back to the side exhaust that was only found on the RT-10's...all of it transferred to the 03 GTR. Best of the GTS and the RT-10. I've only seen the red one that the magazines have wore out stories on. As good as I think it would look in black *drools*, it would be impracticle for them to use it in a movie...namely because it's a $90k*roughly* car on it's own.

Buying a bunch of F-bodies is the best option in my opinion. Tradition is tradition and Pontiac is tradidtion with KR. I love the Viper..it's my dream car, and I'd love to see Kitt in one but hey, the TransAm is the best option for it :D

Shadow

P.S. Sorry I haven't been on in a while...did ya miss me??? lol

Tarmac
Rookie

A li'l FYI

Post by Tarmac » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:12 am

Vin Diesel will be driving the new GTO in the sequel to XXX, with that in mind it seems very unlikely to be used again in a KR movie.

And I honestly hope they won't be using a four dour family grocery getter (GTP Bonneville) for a future KITT.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:17 am

Its hard to argue what is an american car and what's not these days. Many foreign automakers have plants in America being made by Americans. While American automakers have some foreign plants operated by foreigners. American products today are known as anything made in America with no greater than 25% foreign parts.

Knightling
Recruit

Post by Knightling » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:27 pm

hey knightimmortal, i was just kidding also...sorry for any bad mojo...let's all be friends again...o.k.

knightling

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:40 pm

I can just picture Micheal jumping in and out thrugh the windows now. :lol:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:13 pm

Rockatteer wrote:I can just picture Micheal jumping in and out thrugh the windows now. :lol:
Kitt would have kittens for sure :D Besides with those long legs he'd end up kicking the dash :shock:

Cheri

knightforever
Stranger

Post by knightforever » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:25 pm

KITT has always been a Pontiac and always will be BLACK not RED GREY or any other colour you can mention so there :x

Crusing
Recruit

Would this look good?

Post by Crusing » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:50 am

Would Kitt have looked good in a 1989 Turbo Trans Am?

Right after the end of Knight Rider followed many spinoffs they should have in my opinion used a 89 Turbo Trans Am if they wanted to revive Night Rider instead of having many, lets just say not very popular programs.

Keep everything same except have Kitt as a black Turbo Trans Am

What is your opion? Go to website to see a picture of the car.

http://www.89tta.com/

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:58 am

First, there was still the Pontiac problem.

Second, in all of the spinoffs (which came LONG after the end of the original series), they all wanted futuristic, or more present day cars.

It would have looked great, but it wasn't what they were going for, and still may not be what they are going for.

KI

Crusing
Recruit

Post by Crusing » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:27 am

When KR was running everyone wanted to have a Trans Am, Pontiac was very upset for some reason.

Since Pontiac won't let them use one of there cars and the obvious thing is to go to another company but if it turns out the car they use becomes very popular and everyone wants it, I would not be suprised if that company has the same feelings as Pontiac.

In this time where we are surronded by technology it will be hard to give a car that futiristic look like Kitt had. I always thought that KR was one of those shows that are best to be kept original and not to be revived.

What is in store for the future of KR I am not sure but I hope they keep the same concept of the show.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:42 am

The problem was that Pontiac couldn't keep up with the requests for KITT, and the fact that people wanted exact KITT's, and for safety concerns, they requested that the show no longer use the Pontiac name. (or so the rumor goes.)

Only a closed mind would say that you can't make KITT look futuristic in this day and age. If people with that mentality were around in the 80's, KR wouldn't have existed. Thank goodness closed minds like that don't exist in the movie industry. There is still a LONG way to go before today's cars even touch the surface of what KITT in the 80's was, and anybody with half an imaginative brain can think beyond the present day. This is not the future. This is the present.

I always thought that KR was ripe for revival, just like Star Trek was. It still has a lot of life in it. You might want to think about that.

KI

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:59 am

Another perspective on the Universal/Pontiac thing:

According to an interview with Rob Louisell, the man who started the entire Kitt conversion industry, Universal couldn't make Kitt-version Trans Ams and sell them, even if only coverted on the exterior. He had first contacted them in 1984 asking if he could get in touch with their prop department and learn how the special Kitt parts were made so he could replicate them. Their main gripe, even taking precedent over copyrights, was they were concerned for bad publicity. "What if a KITT were to hit a school bus full of children?" (actual quote from the interview) It was also for that reason Kitt replica parts weren't sold... yet.

BTW: As for the copyright standing for replicas now.. a member of Knight Registries had a run-in with Universal about his car a few years ago. They told him as long as he was not making money off the car or advertising it in car shows directly under the Knight Rider name, he was alright... and so was everyone else who wanted a Kitt or Karr. They didn't even ask him where he got the parts or who was making them or anything like that, and his car was fully converted at the time. :D

SeiferV440
Volunteer

Post by SeiferV440 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:38 pm

Thats a hard decision to make, for me at least... since there are some cars out there that i think would fit the role of the next K.I.T.T.... i would either have voted for "New model of Trans Am", "KITT, in his original form factor, but supped up with new technologies" or "some other Model that would somewhat resemble the Trans Am" (even though its not one of the choices)... but in the end i would have voted for "some other Model that would somewhat resemble the Trans Am"... i just hope when the new knight rider car is presented... everyone will love it... just like we love the original K.I.T.T.

KITT's admirer
Volunteer

Post by KITT's admirer » Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:31 pm

that is a hard disicion. as Skav said if they put the original KITT in with the cars around now he might stand out and look old. but still with that being said i think i would like the original KITT with new technology. maybe a slight adjustment in the overall look so that it fits in more with the times, but nothing big. i say classic KITT all the way