Knight Rider rights.

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

Post Reply
March2875
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Clifftop, WV

Knight Rider rights.

Post by March2875 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 pm

Last official word we had on the Knight Rider movie rights was that it belonged to the Weinstein Company. Shouldn't that deal have expired by now and the rights reverted back to the Larson family?

User avatar
Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 3372
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 am

David went to the Weinstein company about a decade before Glen Larson announced that he was working on a script for the movie. David said that they wanted them to do a KR movie but with the car not talking. David wasn't happy with that so it fell apart.

Decade later Glen finished his script or first draft but nothing happened because he past on shortly after.

Not sure if Universal has the still has TV rights and Larson family can only do a movie but I also don't know if technically streaming is a different form of media in which they can make episodes.

We really haven't heard any big announcement that David said he was told not to say anything because something will be announced soon. I think he did that just because he wanted to save face and not look humiliated because nothing is happening with KR lately.

YakForger
Stranger
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:01 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by YakForger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:48 am

Okay, good to know.
It's sad that getting more Knight Rider looks unrealistic, with the rights being somewhere in the stratosphere and with disagreements about the plot lines, but when you look at the remakes, sequels and spin-off that are made these days, I don't think it's that bad after all...

User avatar
Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 3372
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:45 pm

The original series ran from 82-86. Since then there have been new shows trying to continue what man and one car began long ago.

knight rider 1981 -1986
knight rider 2000 1990
knight rider 2010 1994
team knight rider 1997 -1998
knight rider 2008 -2009
######## 2020 <------- Think we're overdue for another attempt.

KI2000PA
Volunteer
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cumberland, Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by KI2000PA » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:56 pm

1981? Nope the original Knight Rider was 1982 not 1981

User avatar
Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 3372
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:31 am

Wow, I can't believe I made such a typo and didn't notice. Well I do know it debuted in September 26, 1982.

User avatar
blowersho
Operative
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by blowersho » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Knight Racer wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 am
David went to the Weinstein company about a decade before Glen Larson announced that he was working on a script for the movie. David said that they wanted them to do a KR movie but with the car not talking. David wasn't happy with that so it fell apart.

Decade later Glen finished his script or first draft but nothing happened because he past on shortly after.

Not sure if Universal has the still has TV rights and Larson family can only do a movie but I also don't know if technically streaming is a different form of media in which they can make episodes.

We really haven't heard any big announcement that David said he was told not to say anything because something will be announced soon. I think he did that just because he wanted to save face and not look humiliated because nothing is happening with KR lately.
That wasn't at the Weinstein Company, the studio that didn't want the car to talk was called Revolutions Studio, pretty sure they went under a long time ago.

User avatar
Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 3372
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 am

Blowersho, you're right. It's been so long that i'm starting to forget the history of attempts to bring knight rider to the big screen. We were told a big announcement was supposed to be made and he should keep hush hush about the project a while ago. Haven't heard anything new even before the pandemic. Think David was just trying to save face and lay some groundwork so he doesn't have to talk about KR ever again.

User avatar
blowersho
Operative
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by blowersho » Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Knight Racer wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 am
Blowersho, you're right. It's been so long that i'm starting to forget the history of attempts to bring knight rider to the big screen. We were told a big announcement was supposed to be made and he should keep hush hush about the project a while ago. Haven't heard anything new even before the pandemic. Think David was just trying to save face and lay some groundwork so he doesn't have to talk about KR ever again.
I know, in the last decade it went from Justin Lin making a movie to the Hoff and James Gunn doing a Netflix series to the Hoff making a movie or a series and so on.

March2875
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Clifftop, WV

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by March2875 » Mon May 04, 2020 3:29 am

Don't we have until October of 2020 for David's big announcement? That's what I gathered from the interview. Then the pandemic hit. Not sure if that would delay it, or speed it up.

User avatar
Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:50 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider rights.

Post by Assasinge » Mon May 04, 2020 12:41 pm

March2875 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:29 am
Don't we have until October of 2020 for David's big announcement? That's what I gathered from the interview. Then the pandemic hit. Not sure if that would delay it, or speed it up.
Wait, we still think some big KR thing is going to happen at all after all these years? And yes, I think the pandemic is probably going to delay whatever we were supposed to know. But you know what, I've seen enough interviews with David in the past where he always teased something big about KR and then it never came to know where this one'll probably go as well.
"The only difference between past, and present..." "...is semantics. Lives, lived, will live. Dies, died, will die."

Post Reply