Is KITT hard to drive?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:17 am

For all you KITT or KARR conversion owners--
Is the gullwing wheel hard to drive with? What are sharp turns like at reasonable speeds? :D
I have a KITT, but don't have the dash or gullwing yet.

User avatar
Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 3224
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby Knight Racer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 am

I'm not a replica owner but this video should show you how hard it is to make those turns. One driver once said the gullwing hits you in the privates if you're not careful.


https://youtu.be/V1WbvwQCTvU

User avatar
Han
Rookie
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:22 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby Han » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 am

I remember that video, that's really curious knowing that David is above 1,90
Any chance the original computer cars had a different setup maybe?

User avatar
Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 3224
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby Knight Racer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:20 am

Well he was taller I'm guessing he reclined back as far as the seats would allow maybe.

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks for the info. That's a scary critique of the driving experience! Looks like he's almost laying down in some shots. He also said the passenger side mirror is blocked from view due to the dash. And it's hard to start because the ignition is tucked. On top of that, he said to get in and out of the car is an obstacle in itself. Some of the turns look tricky. My guess is that the steering wheel itself wouldn't be too bad if you're driving slow and carefully. When you're in KITT, though, you don't wanna always have to drive super slow! Hmmm... I wonder if all dashes are like this or if it depends on the manufacturer? I've talked to manufacturers before, but of course they're not gonna tell you it's hard to drive or deal with!! Lol It's their product. The products are beautiful to look at, but I am checking because I don't wanna ruin the driving experience of my car. So, I was hoping to hear some feedback from actual conversion owners, too. When watching the TV show, I never saw Hasselhoff leaning far back in the seat or sitting in odd positions...and he's a tall guy.

User avatar
jup
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby jup » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:17 pm

I've read that Trans-Ams are hard cars to get in and out of to begin with. But, that video is a real eye opener.

Really surprised the dash wasn't more interactive...to the operations of the car. (Like MPH should have been a priority.)

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Yeah Jup, I was disappointed when I saw that video of how hard the car is to operate with the dash in it. I have a KITT that is a replica on the outside, but stock inside. I've been toying with getting the dash, but doing some research like this at first to gauge what it would be like. But, to be honest, the vid is scaring me-- I don't wanna ruin the driving experience of the car. With my car as stock, I don't think it's any harder to get in and out of then your average car. But with the dash, that guy in the video says it's a whole different story. I don't know if that's always the case. Maybe it depends on who made the particular dash. I actually just took KITT out and we had a good drive together :D
This is a pic of my KITT:
Attachments
IMG_0107.JPG

User avatar
Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:50 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby Assasinge » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Lucky you JD!
"The only difference between past, and present..." "...is semantics. Lives, lived, will live. Dies, died, will die."

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks! I'm blessed to be able to own him. I got the car when I was 16 in 2002. He was originally white, so I had a white KITT like the Junk Yard Dog episode for a long time. Had him painted in '09. Always wanted to do the dash, but this research is giving me mixed feelings abt what direction to go.

User avatar
jup
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby jup » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:55 am

Also not sure where the video took place at. As I thought that many of the modifications were street illegal...at least state side.

That Gull Wing is so impressive to see. Don't think that I'd like to drive with one, though. As the video pointed out, one's hands just want to grip at spots that simply are not there while turning. And the impact zones looks way too potential. Doubly so if any of those fully modified Kitt's ever got auto driving technology. (Just thinking of the self turning wheel on a Tesla makes me iffy. But, that leg bashing Gull Wing, turning all on it's own. No thanks.)

EDIT: Got some evidence in the video. Highway 895. Virginia/Maryland/New York. Far as I know, modified show cars don't get regular driving privileges from any DMV.

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:42 am

From my understanding, below are the things that are illegal on KITT and KARR. I emailed the local law enforcement here to confirm, but haven't heard back.

-taillight blackout

-running the scanner while on the road (when it's red or blue). I've been told different things about this law though. Some people have told me that no color can strobe while on the road, not even amber or green. Anything moving is a no-no. Some have said that all colors are okay...except red/blue. They all agree you can run the light in a parking lot when moving or in a parked position off the street, no matter the color. I have a few different color lenses: red, green, blue, amber. The only time I was ever pulled over was for red...$90 ticket back in '04. :( I'd like to put this one to rest, though, because I've debated with people for years about the exact nature of law. Even 2 cops gave me a diff answer. One said any color besides red/blue was fine. Another said no strobing is allowed, no matter the color.

-gullwing wheel is illegal. Has to be a circle b/c of what's considered the proper placement of your hands when driving. And if you own a Firebird or Trans Am past 1990, the removal of the airbag to install the aftermarket wheel is illegal (I think). That's another debate I've not been able to conclusively resolve.

-tv's on the dash are only illegal if not wired to use for a forward or reverse camera for driving purposes, like backing up and parallel parking.

-depending on the state, you have to make sure you have a front license plate.

My KITT is currently street legal. No taillight blackout is on him, etc. Front license plate. No dash or gullwing.

User avatar
jup
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby jup » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:45 pm

I am also reminded of the missing rear view mirror, which I have heard is required.

I am presuming that no matter how many modifications are made, nobody goes around and removes the factory standard seat belts.

Luckily, the vehicle never had airbags to begin with. So, no issues, there.

Am reminded of some other vehicle, where a person went through the laws with a fine toothed comb after his ride had been majorly vandalized. It's actually rather amazing how much is optional...after seeing that video.

User avatar
Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:50 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby Assasinge » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Lucky you to have acquired a Trans Am at 16 man! Now it's just so unreasonable to drive one when you factor in its age, its reliability and maintenance, which has sadly crushed my dream of having him as my first car right now. :(
"The only difference between past, and present..." "...is semantics. Lives, lived, will live. Dies, died, will die."

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Jup,
Yeah, the rear view mirror is a must have! lol to be honest, I never realized kitt was missing the rear view in the show. I guess that's bc of the upper console being in the way.

I dunno if kitt had seatbelts or not, but yeah, that's another must have. Gotta be safe. I'm not sure to what degree people wanna make their kitt 100% accurate!! I'm not an absolute purist that would be bent on removing seat belts or other necessary safety features. I suppose some might be and that's cool-- whatever they want! I wouldn't wanna drive w/out belts and a rear view though! Lol

My kitt has an airbag in the stock steering wheel. It's a '90 Firebird. After '90, they came form the factory that way.

Assasinge,
Thanks!! I don't drive kitt as a daily driver. He's a show car. I try to take him out once a week at least. I wouldn't wanna use him daily, as it would cause wear and tear. When I first bought the car in '02 at 16, I used it as a daily. Once I painted him, though, I decided to treat him like a show car since I've invested a lot and wanna keep him in good shape. But, tbh, the KR conversion hobby isn't near as pricy as one might suspect. I bought the car for $3,500 and the exterior conversion parts aren't super expensive, imo. It's money, of course, but all car hobbies require it (and the KR hobby just doesn't seem near as pricey as some other car projects people do). The dash is a chunk of change tho!! I priced it a few months back and it was gonna cost $10,000. That's just so much money... :( I can't really afford.

But hang in there, man!! I hope to see you get a kitt down the road!! Make your dream come true!

KentuckyKITT
Rookie
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:34 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby KentuckyKITT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:28 pm

I'll weigh in. I've been driving with a gullwing/dash since about 2002. I'm completely used to it though and consider myself a pro. I can drive my truck or my other Firebird, then get in the KITT car and it's no different to me. I don't experience what that guy does in the video. When I'm driving mine, I don't need to rotate the steering wheel back and forth on straight roads like he's doing. It appears that car has mechanical problems with the steering box or steering column bearings. I also don't turn the gullwing with both hands either, I palm one side as I'm turning.

In that particular car, the dash/pod and wheel appears too low in the car. You can see how low the wheel is compared to the pod for sure. The wheel should be flush with the pod at the top and in that car, it's lower. Here is a photo of my setup and you can see the distance between the wheel and the seat, my pod is the lowest point, which is the only thing I have to be mindful of when getting in and out of the car, but I wanted a molded from original pod which is lower:

Image

I would say for a "beginner" it will be a challenge to drive with that wheel, but with practice, you can master it as I have. I've slid around some curves and done some 180s with that wheel no problem, but I've had a lot of practice too.

As for legalities. In Kentucky there is no law that specifically states the steering wheel has to be "round" in shape. The police that look at my car at shows/cruise-ins don't even mention it, they just want to know how difficult it is to drive like most people that ask.

The red scanner is illegal if on. However, I've been told by several police that parking lots, drive-thrus are okay, just not on the roadways. And really, you have to think about the time we live in, not everyone is "knight rider aware" and if they see a flashing red light behind them or coming toward them, they're liable to pull over thinking it's an emergency vehicle and that's not cool.

The tail light black out is illegal, however I've never been pulled over for it and I've had tons of police behind me over the years. Suffice to say, my tail lights are actually brighter than stock in broad daylight simply because the tail light black out panel is lighter smoke tint than the factory tail light covers which have been removed. If you put the tail light black out panel over the factory smoke tinted covers, your lights will be hard to see in the day time which could get you attention and pulled over or even rear-ended by someone who can't see when you're braking.

Technically, the front bumper is illegal as it will not pass a 5mph impact test, not even close and is non-DOT.

Removing the air bag is illegal, but my car is an 82, so no problems there.

Mirrors: In Kentucky, only a driver's side view mirror is required. Some cars from back in the day only had one - my 79 Impala comes to mind. I have both of course on KITT, but no windshield rear view mirror and I've gotten used to not having it. It's actually quite nice as you don't notice tailgaters or bright lighters as much, so it makes for a more peaceful drive! I took the one out of my base Firebird because of this.

License plate: no front plate required in Kentucky.

Seat belts: It's illegal to remove those and I never would anyway unless the car was strictly a trailer queen, but what's the fun in that? However if you own a 1947 Chevy coupe as I do, you can drive that car down the road with no seat belts all day and while not safe, it's perfectly legal!

My car is not a daily driver, more of a weekend cruiser to the shows or an occasional drive through the country on a weekday when I feel like it. If you want to build the car on the inside, I say go for it. You'll get the hang of driving it. I've never met anyone that built one of these cars who didn't enjoy driving it.
"KITT, if this is just a toy factory, I'm Peter Pan."

User avatar
Assasinge
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:50 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby Assasinge » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Damn man, this is good info for when I later do build my KITT! Thanks for these points!

And the image!
"The only difference between past, and present..." "...is semantics. Lives, lived, will live. Dies, died, will die."

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks for this information, Kentucky KITT. This is very helpful!
Using one hand with your palm to control the wheel when turning makes sense. When I watched that video, it was almost like the guy driving the car was trying his best to make the experience look bad! lol
I like your dash a lot! Looks really sharp. And thanks for the info about the placement positions of the pod and wheel. The dash I've been eyeing is Don Colie's 4th season 1-TV. I know he's top-notch in his work, too. So I'm hoping the pod and wheel would be okay. Tho I would have to illegally remove my airbag, I suppose! I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can get paperwork to do it (legally, that is), but they might only grant it for ppl with disabilities. That's why some ppl remove their airbags, according to the stuff I remember reading, bc they have to change their car due to disabilities. I don't know if they'd grant an approval to remove just for customization purposes. I talked to a local shop here and they said they'd be willing to remove the wheel and bag to put the aftermarket gullwing on. They never said anything about legalities. So either they don't know the law or don't mind. Lol

Do you know if an amber scanner is legal to run while on roadways?

I know what you mean about some people not being Knight Rider "aware." I had a guy pull over a long time ago when I was running the red light. He pulled off to the side of the road and I just passed him.

I used to have the tail light blackout on my car for years and I never got pulled over for it. It was the darker tint one, too. I took it off tho when I found out it was illegal.

With your dash, is it hard to get to the ignition, like the guy mentions in the video?

Thanks for all the help! Awesome info :good:

OKC KNIGHT
Operative
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:19 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Oklahoma/Texas

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby OKC KNIGHT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:12 am

Knight Racer wrote:Well he was taller I'm guessing he reclined back as far as the seats would allow maybe.



Regarding the cars David drove on the show, The driver PMD was modified pushed back, So David can drive the car and perform stunts. Everyone knows David is a TALL mofo lol :lol: 8)


Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

OKC KNIGHT
Operative
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:19 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Oklahoma/Texas

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby OKC KNIGHT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:36 am

Having owned a KITT replica for past 11 years, I can say some things from experience.


Still working on the interior of my car so no gullwing or dash just yet, But Yes the scanner is VERY illegal !! I found out the hard way and it cost me a $50 fine :?

Was also pulled over once cause I have 4 driving/fog lights in front and in Oklahoma you can only drive with 2 lights on the road. Young cops just wanted to check out car, no ticket lol :lol:

Gullwing, Blackout is also illegal in most places. But never had any problems with my blackout

Messing with a airbag on ANY car used on public road is a FEDERAL crime !!


From my customers/friends in Europe, In some countries laws are so stupid and nuts, You can't even drive a finished replica on public roads and can only trailer it for show display only !!!

But BAD things do happen. A HORROR story I recall, One customer of mine in San Francisco was driving his replica in small town and local PD chief or sergeant pulled him over and he got cited for EVERYTHING in his replica, Gullwing, blackout, Scanner. He said it was around $1000 in fines !! :shock: :shock:

Lucky for me one of the FEW good things about Oklahoma is NO state emission/safety inspections :D

Dave

Image
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

User avatar
jup
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby jup » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:35 am

From a show perspective, I would say that if there are any scenes where one spots the driver using belts, it would qualify as one of those many flaws. (Like when 'Thing' helps out on opening/closing the driver door.) After all, the show used "Laser Restraints" as a tech word to mean 'Buckle up' while avoiding the couple seconds it takes to actually buckle up or undo the buckle with.

...lasers make better saws then obstacles to physical objects. But, whatever...

User avatar
snafu
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:29 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: in a lab somewhere.

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby snafu » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:42 pm

I have no plans to get a replica/drive one any time soon; it would be massively impractical on my small farm and the nightmare road I have to get to it. The 85 mph speed limit on the 130 toll to Austin would be fun, though. :kitt2:
I went over the Texas laws and they go over even having lights mounted, not just running, on civilian vehicles, that is, you can't have amber or blue lights in certain areas if it's not DOT, and certainly not red and blue if it's not law enforcement or volunteer firefighter/EMS.
Have I seen people listening to any of this? I doubt it; I've seen blue neon running lights and illegal rims (over 20") all over the place. I don't follow these people around to see if they got pulled over.

ETA: and, as with Oklahoma (and perhaps a lot of the rural states) no emissions or inspections. Makes me happy; they damn near burned out the clutch on my last truck in Colorado.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks guys for all the info. Dave, sounds like you're at the same stage in your conversion as I am. I'm still working on my interior. The exterior is complete. Things I'd have to do: pmd seats, tan interior (mine is gray), dash, overhead and center consoles... To be honest, though, my kitt's cloth interior is in near perfect shape and I hate to touch it. I don't plan to change interior color until it starts to wear. That's the plan.

That's a weird law in Oklahoma about the fog lights! :shock: I didn't know that. I have 2 on each side on my car, and 1 turn signal on each side. Good thing u didn't get a ticket tho!

I dunno what to do about the whole airbag thing. I don't wanna do anything illegal, obviously. It blows tho if I'm restricted bc the car came from the factory with an airbag in the wheel. One of the reasons airbags were conceived, to begin with, is that people weren't wearing seatbelts!! Lol so the airbag forces people to be safe. It's bull tho bc it potentially inhibits car customization. And nowadays, practically every car--probably all cars--are created with airbags.

Wow, $1,000 in fines!! That's nuts! I can't imagine. Maybe the cop just had to meet a ticket quota by a certain point and your friend was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :roll:

Why didn't Michael ever get pulled over in the show for all those things? Kitt ran the scanner light on roadways all the time, always had the blackout visible, etc. lol

Maybe some of these car laws are gray and don't get enforced most of the time... like technicalities.

KentuckyKITT
Rookie
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:34 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby KentuckyKITT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 pm

J D Rider wrote:Thanks for this information, Kentucky KITT. This is very helpful!
Using one hand with your palm to control the wheel when turning makes sense. When I watched that video, it was almost like the guy driving the car was trying his best to make the experience look bad! lol
I like your dash a lot! Looks really sharp. And thanks for the info about the placement positions of the pod and wheel. The dash I've been eyeing is Don Colie's 4th season 1-TV. I know he's top-notch in his work, too. So I'm hoping the pod and wheel would be okay. Tho I would have to illegally remove my airbag, I suppose! I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can get paperwork to do it (legally, that is), but they might only grant it for ppl with disabilities. That's why some ppl remove their airbags, according to the stuff I remember reading, bc they have to change their car due to disabilities. I don't know if they'd grant an approval to remove just for customization purposes. I talked to a local shop here and they said they'd be willing to remove the wheel and bag to put the aftermarket gullwing on. They never said anything about legalities. So either they don't know the law or don't mind. Lol

Do you know if an amber scanner is legal to run while on roadways?

I know what you mean about some people not being Knight Rider "aware." I had a guy pull over a long time ago when I was running the red light. He pulled off to the side of the road and I just passed him.

I used to have the tail light blackout on my car for years and I never got pulled over for it. It was the darker tint one, too. I took it off tho when I found out it was illegal.

With your dash, is it hard to get to the ignition, like the guy mentions in the video?

Thanks for all the help! Awesome info :good:


Honestly, I wouldn't put too much worry in removing the air bag, there are lots of replica owners and other custom car owners out there that have done so. Your average police officer is not going to know what years came with an airbag unless they run the vin and look it up and that's just not usually going to happen in a normal traffic stop. However, if you get pulled over for wreckless driving or some other serious infraction, they're probably going to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and cite you for everything they can find. These particular cars didn't get an air bag until 1991, but from 82-92, the shape of the car is the same, so you'll find most don't even know they had an airbag at all.

As for the amber scanner, I'm not sure. The front turn signals are amber so, tough call. Never looked into it. I do know that most tow trucks use flashing amber lights.

As for ignition access with my dash, it's not that difficult, but it is up under there, however, I can reach right up and start the car and it's not difficult or anything. I also have full use of the hazard switch and turn signal stock including bright lights. There are some pods out there that by design, prohibit you from pulling back the turn signal stock far enough to engage the brights, but mine doesn't have that problem.

The best way to avoid law enforcement is to not call attention to yourself. Driving the car with sense and obeying the traffic laws will usually get you from A to B without any problems. I've had a KITT car since 2002 and my current one since 2006 and I've only been pulled over one time in all these years and that was for running the scanner light since I mistakenly left it on while pulling out of a car show and didn't realize it. I was simply told to turn it off, but the policeman loved the car and didn't even mention anything else, didn't even give me a warning.
"KITT, if this is just a toy factory, I'm Peter Pan."

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:10 am

snafu wrote:I have no plans to get a replica/drive one any time soon; it would be massively impractical on my small farm and the nightmare road I have to get to it. The 85 mph speed limit on the 130 toll to Austin would be fun, though. :kitt2:
I went over the Texas laws and they go over even having lights mounted, not just running, on civilian vehicles, that is, you can't have amber or blue lights in certain areas if it's not DOT, and certainly not red and blue if it's not law enforcement or volunteer firefighter/EMS.
Have I seen people listening to any of this? I doubt it; I've seen blue neon running lights and illegal rims (over 20") all over the place. I don't follow these people around to see if they got pulled over.

ETA: and, as with Oklahoma (and perhaps a lot of the rural states) no emissions or inspections. Makes me happy; they damn near burned out the clutch on my last truck in Colorado.


Wow, I'm surprised that Texas is like that! I'm glad I don't have to worry about that-- even having a light mounted is illegal, whether it's running or not?!! :? And I didn't realize rims over 20" are illegal. Interesting...
I bet most people ignore those gray laws tho, like u said. My big pet peeve is the front license plate-- the car looks great either way, but my preference would be to NOT be required to have the front plate.

User avatar
J D Rider
Recruit
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Is KITT hard to drive?

Postby J D Rider » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 am

KentuckyKITT wrote:
J D Rider wrote:Thanks for this information, Kentucky KITT. This is very helpful!
Using one hand with your palm to control the wheel when turning makes sense. When I watched that video, it was almost like the guy driving the car was trying his best to make the experience look bad! lol
I like your dash a lot! Looks really sharp. And thanks for the info about the placement positions of the pod and wheel. The dash I've been eyeing is Don Colie's 4th season 1-TV. I know he's top-notch in his work, too. So I'm hoping the pod and wheel would be okay. Tho I would have to illegally remove my airbag, I suppose! I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can get paperwork to do it (legally, that is), but they might only grant it for ppl with disabilities. That's why some ppl remove their airbags, according to the stuff I remember reading, bc they have to change their car due to disabilities. I don't know if they'd grant an approval to remove just for customization purposes. I talked to a local shop here and they said they'd be willing to remove the wheel and bag to put the aftermarket gullwing on. They never said anything about legalities. So either they don't know the law or don't mind. Lol

Do you know if an amber scanner is legal to run while on roadways?

I know what you mean about some people not being Knight Rider "aware." I had a guy pull over a long time ago when I was running the red light. He pulled off to the side of the road and I just passed him.

I used to have the tail light blackout on my car for years and I never got pulled over for it. It was the darker tint one, too. I took it off tho when I found out it was illegal.

With your dash, is it hard to get to the ignition, like the guy mentions in the video?

Thanks for all the help! Awesome info :good:


Honestly, I wouldn't put too much worry in removing the air bag, there are lots of replica owners and other custom car owners out there that have done so. Your average police officer is not going to know what years came with an airbag unless they run the vin and look it up and that's just not usually going to happen in a normal traffic stop. However, if you get pulled over for wreckless driving or some other serious infraction, they're probably going to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and cite you for everything they can find. These particular cars didn't get an air bag until 1991, but from 82-92, the shape of the car is the same, so you'll find most don't even know they had an airbag at all.

As for the amber scanner, I'm not sure. The front turn signals are amber so, tough call. Never looked into it. I do know that most tow trucks use flashing amber lights.

As for ignition access with my dash, it's not that difficult, but it is up under there, however, I can reach right up and start the car and it's not difficult or anything. I also have full use of the hazard switch and turn signal stock including bright lights. There are some pods out there that by design, prohibit you from pulling back the turn signal stock far enough to engage the brights, but mine doesn't have that problem.

The best way to avoid law enforcement is to not call attention to yourself. Driving the car with sense and obeying the traffic laws will usually get you from A to B without any problems. I've had a KITT car since 2002 and my current one since 2006 and I've only been pulled over one time in all these years and that was for running the scanner light since I mistakenly left it on while pulling out of a car show and didn't realize it. I was simply told to turn it off, but the policeman loved the car and didn't even mention anything else, didn't even give me a warning.


Yeah, you're right. I don't see how they would know or pick up on that. It's probably safe. My kitt is a '90 and I thought the car came with an airbag. The wheel looks like it has one, judging by the shape and size. And I was told by the previous owner that the car has one. Hmm... that'd be sweet if, come to find, it doesn't even have an airbag. Thanks for the info! I'd love to see pictures of all your cars, KITT and KARR owners (if u have shared or do down the road). I haven't had my kitt in a car show since I painted him. I used to enter him in shows back when he was white, like the "Junk Yard Dog" episode. I painted him black in '09 tho. I have mixed thoughts abt car shows bc I'm paranoid abt people touching and so forth! :wink: lol I try my best to baby Kitt.
I know what u mean abt being careful, so not to draw attention to cops. I've been only pulled over once, too. Got a $90 ticket for running the scanner light (red lense)-- my bro was actually driving and I warned him beforehand. He was mad at the cop, too. He said with an angered tone, "It's the Knight Rider car!" Lol But the cop replied, "I don't care what it is," as he snapped a pic of the front bumper and strobing light. The cop continued by saying we could challenge it in court if we desired. Never did tho.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests