100 gallon fuel tank?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MrSmith
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

100 gallon fuel tank?

Post by MrSmith » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:47 am

I never noticed this before, but watching "No Big Thing" tonight and KITT's fuel gauage reads to 100 gallons

that's a lot of gas to carry.
Attachments
knight1.jpg
knight1.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 5339 times

MrSmith
Operative

Re: 100 gallon fuel tank?

Post by MrSmith » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 am

This is interesting, I think

you can see there is the gas cap door on the left side of the car, just behind the rear wheel, yet Michael puts the fuel in through under the rear number plate/license plate
Attachments
knight2.jpg
knight2.jpg (36.41 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
knight3.jpg
knight3.jpg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
knight4.jpg
knight4.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 5335 times

MrSmith
Operative

Post by MrSmith » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 am

see this is where he is actually putting the fuel in
Attachments
knight5.jpg
knight5.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 5334 times

2knight
Rookie

Post by 2knight » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:10 am

I was under the impression that KITT ran on hydrogen or something similar most of the time and that old-fashioned gasoline was something he used only when desperate. Perhaps that's the reason for two gas fills. We don't actually see whether there's a standard gas tank fill in the one behind the rear wheel. For all we know it's been modified and might accept other forms of fuel. The one under the license plate could be for emergencies when KITT is on assignment and the semi isn't anywhere nearby for a refill on hydrogen.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:28 am

Actually Kitt ran on plain ordinary gas.The only ime he was switched to running on hydrogen was in the episode Give me Liberty or Give me Death.to make kitt eligable for the alternate fuels race.The reason why there's a gas cap on the side of kitt and yet Michael fuels him up from the rear was I think because of all the changes Knight Industries made to the redesigned Trans Am they fitted with a turbine engine.I'm sure a few things had to be adapted under kitt such as fuel lines.It alsmo might be due to the fact for the security of the project,a fingerprint scanner was required to only allow trusted employees to fuel up the knight 2000 body.

Kitt explains in that episode where he goes to the gas station that his synthecizers can run on any form of combustable fluids.In knight rider 2008 2 hour pilot Sarah explains to Mike that the what if you're in Nebraska and your hydrogen fuel system breaks down.She says that complicated isn't always better which is why I think he was always designed to run on pure gas.

In the 4 or 5 episode novels that were published back in the 80's,kitt did run on hydrogen and so did karr.The other author besides Glen took a few liberties that made the books seem a bit more interesting in my opinion.