diamond select prototype vs production model

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
DSTZach
Recruit
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by DSTZach » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 pm

Knight Racer wrote:The spm video shows the rear spoiler but not the sides of the spoiler that raises up thats attached to the body.


Hard to see the rear of the car in that video, but that's a very early prototype. Fairly certain the final car will have them.

Knight Racer wrote:Also the dashboard voce modulator is incorrect.I'm seeing 10 lights instead of 8 for the season 1-2 dashboard.Season 3-4 had the 10 which should be in season 4 with the spm model.


This isn't a season-specific model, so I think we just went with the cooler dash. It will also be on the SPM.

Knight Racer wrote:Its also got paint smudges for the lights.the monitor decals aren't placed properly


The indicators do look like they have a little too much paint -- the opposite of blowersho's problem, I think. It's the hazard of mass production, unfortunately. You can't always apply the precision to a $50 toy (and that's what these are) that you can to a $200 replica. We try our best, but our QC team has to focus on the big fixes. But there should be extra monitor decals in your box if you want to remove them and re-apply.

Knight Racer wrote:If you guys need help with the spm model dashboard decals,or other critique,email me at knightracer2000@optonline.net I'll help you make sure everything is accurate before you produce another set of mistakes on that model.


Thanks, Knight Racer.

User avatar
imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:18 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Singapore, Asia
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by imranbecks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:40 am

Knight Racer wrote:Image

Aside from the discussed flaws in the the diamond select model,I think the wheels are close to accurate.The hubcaps are a bit smaller,it should cover more of the turbo cast rims.The model does look like kitt at least on its side.The glossy paint job even reminds me of kitt.I think this is a better version than what looks like the hot wheels elite will come out with.


About the wheels, I still think the wheels on the Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car is the most accurate one when compared to the DST KITT. It looks a lot closer to the real wheels on the real one. One thing is for sure, the glossy look of the DST car is a lot better than the Kenner car...

Image

User avatar
imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:18 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Singapore, Asia
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by imranbecks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:31 am

By the way DST, a Super Pursuit Mode KITT has an entirely different dashboard. It uses a 1-tv dashboard unlike the dashboard on the current 1/15 KITT. So I hope you guys would make the effort of using a different dashboard instead of just applying the SPM parts onto the current crop of 1/15 KITT. Also, don't forget the sound effects of the SPM....

Season 1-2 >>> :dash:

Season 3-4 >>> :dash4:

OKC KNIGHT
Operative
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:19 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Oklahoma/Texas

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:13 pm

I got a few of the 1/15 DST KITTS at a local Toys R US.Long story short,I walked out with all they had instock for $42 each after tax. 8) 8)

Also picked up 3 Minimates KARR's for $21 at a local comic shop 8)

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

User avatar
blowersho
Operative
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by blowersho » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:08 pm

DSTZach wrote:Which of your indicator lights are not painted properly?


Both of the indicators on the left side, the black paint show through the yellow and red paint, the right side door does not latch properly and I mentioned in an earlier post that the voice box sticker was crooked. I know that these issues can arise for any product but when somebody spends their hard earned money they expect maximum value for the money spent. However I still plan on buying the one with the Michael figure and the SPM version.[/quote]

DSTZach wrote:Well, we certainly try to maximize value. That's why we pack in all the lights and sounds and everything. And the fact that you're planning on buying two more seems to indicate you like what you got, for the most part? (Buy KARR, too!) It sounds like your indicators are painted the right color, but the paint is not thick enough? I can see that VERY easily going the other way if there was too much paint, so it may be a case of the factory playing it safe. Sorry about your voice box sticker, I believe there should be a spare sheet of stickers in the box if you want to remove and re-apply.


I didn't know you were making a KARR also, I will for sure buy that as well, I already bought all of the Minimates. Yes, for the most part I am happy but I am also obsessed with the little details, just the way I am. The issue with the indicators is definitely the paint not being thick enough. Perhaps now that you know about the issues on my item you can pass the information onto the QC team and they can be avoided in the future. Other than that many thanks for all the KR products you guys are making, you have made countless KR nerds very happy. :good:

User avatar
imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:18 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Singapore, Asia
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by imranbecks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:49 pm

OKC KNIGHT wrote:I got a few of the 1/15 DST KITTS at a local Toys R US.Long story short,I walked out with all they had instock for $42 each after tax. 8) 8)

Also picked up 3 Minimates KARR's for $21 at a local comic shop 8)

Dave


Hmmm... What exactly are you going to do with all those 1/15 KITT's you bought???? One would probably suffice for me..

OKC KNIGHT
Operative
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:19 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Oklahoma/Texas

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 pm

imranbecks wrote:
OKC KNIGHT wrote:I got a few of the 1/15 DST KITTS at a local Toys R US.Long story short,I walked out with all they had instock for $42 each after tax. 8) 8)

Also picked up 3 Minimates KARR's for $21 at a local comic shop 8)

Dave


Hmmm... What exactly are you going to do with all those 1/15 KITT's you bought???? One would probably suffice for me..



Well one can never have TO many KITT's lol :mrgreen:. A few of them were for a GREAT KR friend of mine and his kids in Switzerland and 2 for me :good: :good: I'm working on getting a few cases of these through some of my sources.


Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

User avatar
DSTZach
Recruit
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by DSTZach » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:33 pm

imranbecks wrote:
OKC KNIGHT wrote:I got a few of the 1/15 DST KITTS at a local Toys R US.Long story short,I walked out with all they had instock for $42 each after tax. 8) 8)

Also picked up 3 Minimates KARR's for $21 at a local comic shop 8)

Dave


Hmmm... What exactly are you going to do with all those 1/15 KITT's you bought???? One would probably suffice for me..


I thought you ordered the EE version with Michael, Imran?

User avatar
DSTZach
Recruit
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by DSTZach » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:32 am

imranbecks wrote:By the way DST, a Super Pursuit Mode KITT has an entirely different dashboard. It uses a 1-tv dashboard unlike the dashboard on the current 1/15 KITT. So I hope you guys would make the effort of using a different dashboard instead of just applying the SPM parts onto the current crop of 1/15 KITT. Also, don't forget the sound effects of the SPM....


Not a question of effort, a question of practicality and production cost. If we had to tool an entirely new interior for the SPM KITT, in addition to the exterior parts we're already making, we probably would not make it. Heck, we probably wouldn't have made KITT -- remember, we're trying to make an affordable toy here. To offer the car at this price, we need to amortize the tooling costs across as many units as possible. If we thought re-using the dash would affect sales, that would be different, but the reality is that 95% of Knight Rider fans care more about the exterior, and the interior will look cool regardless.

So while I am not 100% certain about it, I would probably expect to see the same dash on all models, with any applicable paint and decal changes. But yes, there will be unique sounds on the SPM. And the sounds on KARR... :D Well, I'll share those soon.

User avatar
imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:18 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Singapore, Asia
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by imranbecks » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:02 am

DSTZach wrote:
imranbecks wrote:By the way DST, a Super Pursuit Mode KITT has an entirely different dashboard. It uses a 1-tv dashboard unlike the dashboard on the current 1/15 KITT. So I hope you guys would make the effort of using a different dashboard instead of just applying the SPM parts onto the current crop of 1/15 KITT. Also, don't forget the sound effects of the SPM....


Not a question of effort, a question of practicality and production cost. If we had to tool an entirely new interior for the SPM KITT, in addition to the exterior parts we're already making, we probably would not make it. Heck, we probably wouldn't have made KITT -- remember, we're trying to make an affordable toy here. To offer the car at this price, we need to amortize the tooling costs across as many units as possible. If we thought re-using the dash would affect sales, that would be different, but the reality is that 95% of Knight Rider fans care more about the exterior, and the interior will look cool regardless.

So while I am not 100% certain about it, I would probably expect to see the same dash on all models, with any applicable paint and decal changes. But yes, there will be unique sounds on the SPM. And the sounds on KARR... :D Well, I'll share those soon.


Touché... Looking forward to it!

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by Skav » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:25 am

I saw this and thought you would be interested. I'm not sure if the SPM conversion was just a trick since nobody pushes anything on it but I hope this model converts like that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VINpIKNHzGA

User avatar
imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:18 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Singapore, Asia
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by imranbecks » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:53 am

The one in that video is clearly great computer graphics.. The soon to be released DST SPM KITT is fixed and cannot be converted back and forth.. Just like the minimates SPM KITT ;-)

Image

User avatar
imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:18 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Singapore, Asia
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by imranbecks » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 am

Loving mine! The lighting effects is just brilliantly done.... DST did a good job on it! Keep em coming! Looking forward to KARR and SPM KITT!

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
blowersho
Operative
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by blowersho » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 pm

imranbecks wrote:Loving mine! The lighting effects is just brilliantly done.... DST did a good job on it! Keep em coming! Looking forward to KARR and SPM KITT!

Image
Image
Image


I thought you were waiting for the one with the MK figure, you couldn't hold out could you? :D

User avatar
Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 pm

I for one won't be buying the SPM mode kitt if they don't change yhe dash to a season 3 and correct the innacuracies.

User avatar
imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:18 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Singapore, Asia
Contact:

Re: diamond select prototype vs production model

Post by imranbecks » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 am

blowersho wrote:
imranbecks wrote:Loving mine! The lighting effects is just brilliantly done.... DST did a good job on it! Keep em coming! Looking forward to KARR and SPM KITT!

Image
Image
Image


I thought you were waiting for the one with the MK figure, you couldn't hold out could you? :D


Haha.. You got me there! A friend of mine had a spare and was selling it off at a low price, I couldn't refuse..haha..

I'm still gonna get the one with the MK figure so I'll end up having two cars.. :kitt2: :kitt2:

Post Reply