RESOLVED! Two Steps Forward - The DVD Saga

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ocAdamR
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by ocAdamR » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:59 pm

spyhunter wrote:Eugh is right! It's a monstrosity... Imagine what David will think!?!
David?!? What will K.I.T.T. think? :evil:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:31 pm

Hey, even if I didn't have the layered image, I could still fix that scanner problem up in Paint Shop Pro 8. I am sure PhotoShop also has a clone brush and can promote selections to layers, erase parts of an image on a layer without touching the layers underneath, etc. etc.

If not, they need to get Paint Shop Pro 8. :)

stevem
Volunteer

Post by stevem » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:02 pm

themarvelous3 wrote:i'm sure it was asimple thing of "ok, take the .psd of this cover and flip the layer that KITTs on, jake" jake did and then didnt notice that the scanner was on a different layer before he went up to layer and selected "Flatten Image" when they realized it, he got fired and they just told us that it was "too late to fix" when really it was just impossible to fix without completely redoing the cover. poor kid. i like my photoshop though : )
This is why any good graphic artist saves the original PSD file before flattening the image. This mistake was so obvious and also so easy to fix they must have had monkeys doing the work. Its sad that many graphic artists are stuck in tech support jobs because the graphics art jobs don't pay enough and then things like this happen. I see stuff like this all the time in magazines, newspapers, etc. Its really pathetic. You get what you pay for. Cheap labor = crappy products.

If they messed up something so simple I wouldn't be surprised to find major problems with the actual DVDs either. If they all suck you guys can let me know and I'll get a copy and fix it and then rerelease it. :lol:

GetKittBack
Rookie

Post by GetKittBack » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm

i like the second image better but why are they so lazy they wont even fix the scanner? i mean they have plenty of time.

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:28 pm

GetKittBack wrote:i like the second image better but why are they so lazy they wont even fix the scanner? i mean they have plenty of time.
Not nessassarly - it's set for a mid august release, right? Well that means that it's only 2 months away. The sets well into the replication stage, and to tweak a minor thing like that will cost them all kinds of time and lots of money.

On the other hand - it is just the box after all. It sits on your shelf, spine facng out most of the time anyway. A little glitch like that is meangless compared to the shiny discs inside.

Irish Knight
Recruit

Post by Irish Knight » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:05 pm

You're right about that. It's only the box. I hope they have done a far better job on the DVD's though.

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:42 pm

Well, if it's anything to go by, the A-Team set looks pretty damn good. The video quality is just a touch better than the columbia house discs and light years ahead of the UK discs. Since the shows are very similar, I'd probably wager that Knight Rider will look pretty sweet.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:19 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Hey, even if I didn't have the layered image, I could still fix that scanner problem up in Paint Shop Pro 8. I am sure PhotoShop also has a clone brush and can promote selections to layers, erase parts of an image on a layer without touching the layers underneath, etc. etc.

If not, they need to get Paint Shop Pro 8. :)
yeah you can do all that with photoshop. but seriously...they couldnt even remember not to flatten the image first...you think they'll know to look for the CLONE BRUSH??

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:05 pm

There was never any basis for the reason that they couldn't fix the image was because of them Flattening the file. I'm willing to bet that they have a layered copy preserved. The reason for it not being fixed is not that simple, it's less than 2 months now until the release and the artwork had already sent to press, to stop the process at this phase would cause a delay in the discs making it to market, and create a cost that they would want to avoid. That being the case, I'm glad it's left messed up, otherwise the disks would have been delayed or not produced at all.

Remember also, these images are mock ups, there is a slim chance that the finished item had the proper position.

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:15 pm

I might get the dvd before August 3rd since my local best buy sometimes releases the dvds before the actual date. :D

GetKittBack
Rookie

Post by GetKittBack » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:01 pm

i didnt mean for u all to take it the wrong way but like fuzzie dice said they could have just use paint shop pro 8. but if it would put back the release date then i say hell no leave it how it is. but anyway its whats inside the discs that count so i hope they will be great just as they are prominsing to be.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:20 pm

Tony J Case wrote:Well, if it's anything to go by, the A-Team set looks pretty damn good. The video quality is just a touch better than the columbia house discs and light years ahead of the UK discs. Since the shows are very similar, I'd probably wager that Knight Rider will look pretty sweet.

One reviewer on Amazon said that they are virtually a copy of the UK A-Team discs... And no extras is the biggest downer...

SH

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:21 pm

Well, the one episode I compared - and admittedly it wasnt an indepth bit rate comparison or anything, just me and my MK-I eyeball - the UK discs looked much more grainy and washed out. It was like watching VHS instead of from the good source broadcast masters.

Still, it's not like I'm expecting a remastered digital disc that'll rival The Matrix or Star Wars I and II for look. It's a 20 year old TV show after all, the're gonna be some allowances made for the source.

If Knight Rider looks as good as the A-Team season 1, I'll be content.

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:14 am

You guys are being really materialistic :lol: No, seriously, it was disappointing, and it made me angry too, but to go around blaming people somewhat directly (the graphic... peoples) is a little much. I don't know the procedure when it comes to releasing DVDs but I'm sure it's not as easy as everyone is making it sound. And like neps is trying to get across, they were rushed. When you're rushed even the most simplest of tasks can become difficult and the most obvious mistakes can be overlooked. I'm sure it wasn't on account of laziness or lack of skill. Besides, need we be reminded that we're lucky we're getting this set at all? And with all the extras we're getting and all the obvious hard work that's been put into it, even something as horrible as a misplaced glow from KITT's scanner is something I'm okay with.

I'm sorry, I just think we're sounding very ungrateful.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:10 am

What's sad is that there seems to be nobody at these companies that are as passionate about the shows they produce as the fans are.

When it comes to a show that is so old such as Knight Rider, it's almost like the whole staff is brand new to the series, like they've never even heard of it before! Is their turnaround rate so high that not a single person from the 80s works at Universal anymore?

And they're like, "Hmm, Knight Rider, let's see what we might be able to do with this series..." (more like how bad can we can F it up)

What they need is some hardcore fans to check everything over, the 'trekkies' of sorts for Knight Rider!

SH

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:06 pm

Just because Universal puts Trekkies (Knighties?) on staff, there is still a chance that the discs would get f'ed up.

Take the Doctor Who DVDs. The Restoration Team are a group of professionals in the BBC who also happen to be huge Doctor Who fans. The work they do is straight up amazing, and the care and love they put into each story is clear. Despite that there is still the occasional error that creeps into the releases - a special effect that was accidently removed during restoration of Rememberance of the Daleks, the trivia subtltle track was omitted on an episode of Vengance on Varos, inserts were forgotten in Seeds of Death, and so on.

So, even a staff of Knight Riders fans could easily mess up and put the scanner too low on the cover. Putting together a DVD release is a lot of work and sometimes $#it happens.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:50 pm

Some FANTASTIC news! I just received this message from my Universal contact:
I actually have some good news for you  The scanner issue was fixed in time for final packaging. I received final packaging today. It looks really nice. Printed on a metallic material.
And in news that may be more important than the scanner being fixed.. he... has... it... in... his... hands! Oh wait, nevermind, he just has the printed artwork ;)
Last edited by neps on Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:25 pm

THANK YOU NEPS!!! :D :D :D

I'm so very glad of this! I can't wait for the release, either. :) I know it's gonna be really cool.

I'm glad I got my computer rebuilt in time too. Now I can play DVDs just fine. :)

Trekie386
Operative

Post by Trekie386 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:26 pm

neps wrote:Some FANTASTIC news! I just received this message from my Universal contact:
I actually have some good news for you  The scanner issue was fixed in time for final packaging. I received final packaging today. It looks really nice. Printed on a metallic material.
And in news that may be more important than the scanner being fixed.. he... has... it... in... his... hands!
Gimmie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!!! :D

I can't wait.. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY can't wait!!! I'm saving my pennies now. At last count I had 100 of them... :lol:

~Beth C

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:29 pm

And in metallic too?
Thats sweet! :D
Knight Industries Defence One

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:09 pm

I think I am not alone when I say a big thankyou to universal.

They have not just hashed a DVD togather all those extra's.

A realy good job guys :D

Not long to go now just over a month :D :D :D

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:58 pm

Here is the final artwork:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:03 pm

Looks great, but why is it spelled "Hasselhuff"?!

(just kidding.)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

barney166
Stranger

Post by barney166 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:12 pm

its not, if u lk closely its spelt correctly :D

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:27 pm

PERFECT! Thanks, Neps, for keeping us up to date on this. Now I just can't WAIT! :D

And I agree, Universal deserves a great BIG Thank You for a job well done! I'm glad they listened to the fans and made it just right just for us. This is gonna rock!

Actually, if they plan to do all the seasons, they'll all be fantastic, I see. It'll be fun collecting them all. :)