news that will make you mad.

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightrider2004
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

news that will make you mad.

Post by knightrider2004 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:25 pm

I just read on tvshowsondvd.com and there was a news article marked dukes of hazzard so I checked it out and found that it is being released on DVD this spring! :shock: I cant believe it before knight rider that gets released! :x Tell me if your mad. Here is a link to check it out http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news.cfm :kittconv2:
Michael wouldnt one woman be sufficient?

-K.I.T.T., Trust Doesent Rust

Knight Newbie
Volunteer

Post by Knight Newbie » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:40 pm

Yes that does suck, but I am sure It will make it's way one day. I'm sure that it might have someting to do with David Hasslehoff owning the rights to the series. He probally is waiting for the right offer. Same with the movie. Once he gets what he wants then there is probally nothing to it after that.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:29 pm

That's the way it's ALWAYS been. The Dukes got released out as an updated video game before "Knight Rider" could ever get one. Now, let's hope that "Knight Rider" beats the Dukes to the big screen first.

beatle64
Recruit

Post by beatle64 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:56 am

It's obivious that there are more rednecks in the world than we thought. We all know that Knight Rider was a smarter and cooler show, and Duke's was a chessy mess of a show with an offensive car. And yet There has been 2 games already for Duke's and only a NES game for KR and a barely released game for the PC. I mean what gives, if anything deserves DVD quality it's Knight Rider.
Last edited by beatle64 on Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:08 am

Looks liek there are quite a few on this board who don't like Dukes of Hazzard. I have read a few synopses and character sketches, seen a few screenshots, even heard a few sound files and this is what I thought of it- The accents are annoying, that orange colour with decals does stick out and I hear it's the same theme recycled in several episodes. In particular, I did not like the accents- far too much of it. But if a local channel shows this series, I would try it out, but I have seen almost every episode of Knight Rider at least once, some twice, some thrice, so I doubt if it will keep up the quality. Besides, I don't know how well the series has done outside the US- do you?

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:46 pm

The PC game does have its drawbacks, and low points, but it is worlds better than the NES game. I'd call it more than "barely finished"

Besides from what I've heard, the Dukes of Hazard game is poor gameplay because the company who produced the newest game spent all their money on getting the authentic voices.

Nick

knight rider uk
Rookie
Location: somewhere over the rainbow way up high theres the one that i dream of once in a lulleby.

Post by knight rider uk » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:55 pm

bet that will be another dvd set that will never show the light of day in sunny old england!

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:51 pm

That doesn't make me mad! That actually makes me hopeful - if Dukes of Hazzard sells well, then other companies will probably look at it and go "Hm, okay, well, what can we release that'll make us some monies? Oh, what about Knight Rider?" And like Knight Newbie (lol nice name) said, they're probably just waiting for the right time. I dun mind when it comes out compared to other series, as long as it comes out, and the sooner the better.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:58 pm

I don't "don't like Dukes of Hazzard". I like both of them. But I was born months before "Knight Rider" came out. It's like my childhood friend. The Dukes I didn't mind, it's just that it seems like my older sibling's kind of show. You know?

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:14 am

If I recall, Dukes doesn't have all those song problems that KR has.

What I mean is that in EVERY EPISODE of KR, there are multiple record title songs from multiple artists that have to be cleared and the rights bought to for making a DVD.

But, (as I recall) Dukes doesn't have that kind of problem. (Aside from the special guest star country song singers who appeared in only a few episodes.) They usually just had variations of the theme song and some generic country western in-house stuff. Which makes putting out a DVD all that much easier.

The thing to keep an eye out on is DVD sets of Miami Vice. (As, they are in the same boat as KR for music rights.)

Seems like EVERYTHING is getting the DVD release treatment, anymore.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:50 am

I think we will see a KR dvd set long before Miami Vice, as MV had way more musical clearances that KR. It's still true that exposure is what makes these DVDs happen. Dukes of Hazzard has had two successful reunion movies. Charlies Angles was released on DVD after the success of the movie. Battlestar Galactica was released the same time as the new Sci-Fi miniseries. Starsky and Hutch is just released the same time as the new Stiller/Wilson movie. I don't think we'll ever see KR on DVD in a series form until something new and big happens with it. I think that there even being development of KR is putting any potential release of the series off because I'm sure the execs want to wait on releasing it until they hype for KR builds up again and ride the promotion wave.

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:15 am

Well, what about the Knight-Con? That IS a big thing.

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:56 am

I wonder if there is a pattern with Columbia House, because it seems that anything CH has put out on DVD such as KR, Airwolf, A-Team, does not get a new movie, special treament or a DVD release at a regular store. It's like they've given up all hope of something special happening with those franchises, and stooped to give the DVD licensing to the sad people at CH.

Although I have heard rumours about an A-Team movie, so maybe this pattern will be broken...

I can't wait to collect all of the Dukes on DVD, the Dukes did come first and before I wanted a shiny black 1982 Trans Am, I sure was set on getting an orange peel 1969 Dodge Charger with the doors welded shut! :-)

SH

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:49 pm

Re Knight-Con: It has the potential to be big, but right now is in development stages and is untested in its success. Even so, it will be big for the fan base, but not for the world at large because it wont get the press or adveritising that a Hollywood blockbuster does (we are talking millions and millions here!)

spyhunter - perhaps we should refer to that as the Columbia House curse?

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:58 pm

That's a good term for it! Let's hope that the pattern doesn't hold!

SH

KnightRider2000
Operative

Knight Rider Game

Post by KnightRider2000 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:39 pm

It's obivious that there are more rednecks in the world than we thought. We all know that Knight Rider was a smarter and cooler show, and Duke's was a chessy mess of a show with an offensive car. And yet There has been 2 games already for Duke's and only a NES game for KR and a barely released game for the PC. I mean what gives, if anything deserves DVD quality it's Knight Rider.
A-HEM! :wink: I guess you don't know how big the KR market is:

Knight Rider* (for C64, ROM is available at http://www.c64.com)

Knight Rider* (for NES, ROMs are available on internet)

Knight Rider Special* (for some old, Japanese system, ROM's available on internet, very good game)

Knight Rider: The Game (for PC and rarely for PS2, best of all Knight Rider Games, demo available on internet)

Knight Rider: The Game 2 (in production)

*This means that if you want to play it on your PC you need to get the ROM as well as the emulator

I suggest you guys try to download and play the Knight Rider Special, it is one of the best KR games I've ever player, and I have played them all (I think, unless anyone knows any others).

-KnightRider2000

Knight 'n' Day
Recruit

Post by Knight 'n' Day » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:35 pm

I'm not sure that we'll necessarily have to wait until something big happens to see KR on DVD, neps. I read somewhere recently that Quantum Leap is being released to DVD in early June. As far as I know, nothing big happened in the QL universe to help get it to DVD, other than Scott Bakula nabbing the lead in Enterprise. Never underestimate the power of the Trekkies. :D

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:17 pm

the knight rider special game is from the pc engine (known turbo grafx 16 in the us)

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:41 pm

For a NES game, the Knight Rider game is quite good, even if it's not as powerful or correct as the Davilex game. At least it is an entertainer, unlike that dreadful NES game on Airwolf.

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:49 pm

At least the NES game had a drive mode or something like that..
Knight Industries Defence One