1:43 KITT

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by sarfraz » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:47 am

Will do. I expect both to have 2-monitors (KARR never had one monitor). I was thinking the same thing, is that ribbon a tag for the scanner?....shall have to wait and see.

In any case, American Muscle have alot to live upto. I knew the 1/43 KR cars were gonna look good...don't know how good the 1/18 will be.

Oh, just checked my order on hlj.com. The package is on a plane taking off from Tokyo today.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:20 am

Oh man... i really envy you safraz... Looks like u'll be getting it soon... As for me, I contacted my local hobby shop that would be bringing it in and they said that they have not heard any news on when they will receive the 1/43 KITT and KARR.... I sure hope soon....

I'm not sure if i shd get KARR coz its basically a repaint of KITT. So i'm maybe just getting KITT. Did u order both KITT and KARR?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:34 am

Yep, ordered both KITT and KARR, along with the Aoshima flying Delorean for my mate. I did the same when the KR mini-z RC sets came out (£100 ($150?) each)....yes I'm a sucker but it does look nice as a set. I've some how ended up with four KARR's, five including this one. Its not that bad, considering the savings I've made ordering direct from hlj.com rather than using e-bay. I got the KR truck at the same time as the 2 mini-z RC sets so it worked out pretty cheap.

...I'm just alittle scared I'm running out of space to put all these cars. I've also got a serious collection of F1 and Rally cars, Batman, Transformers (including a Unicron statue) and a rather large Ninja Turtles statue....I really should stop!

Sarfraz

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:51 pm

I'm getting KITT and KARR.

KARR: Of course.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:56 am

Got your 1/43 KITT and KARR yet Safraz? I have not gotten mine yet... :(

Knight 'n' Day
Recruit

Post by Knight 'n' Day » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:31 am

I know you said the price is about right Sarfraz, but it still seems a little high to me. They approximate the price at about $40 USD and while the detail looks incredible and well worth it, the 1:18 scale models I collect usually run around $30 USD. Although, now that I think about it, smaller scale means more excruciating work on the details... I guess it's about right.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:13 pm

Depends on how you look at it. Have you ever bought Minichamps 1:18 F1 cars or AutoArt Rally cars? They cost me around £45 ($80) but they are of a very high quality. Their 1/43 vehicles cost $40....which places the KR cars in the same ball-park. Its clearly obvious from the pics that these are seriously high-quality pieces.

btw, UK customs still hold my cars. I expect it in tomorrow or I'm gonna be very angry.

Sarfraz

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:40 pm

I need a job :(

growup
Recruit

Post by growup » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:02 pm

Now that's some detail. I do have a question. Kitt talks. Don't you think a Kitt model should incorporate a voice as well? Before you take the time to point out the obvious, I understand the technical difficulties in a 1/43 scale model. Maybe it should be included in larger scale models however.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:13 pm

You could quite easily incorporate a chip in the 1:18 model (due in Nov) with a voice chip...but I doubt American Muscle will do that. We'll be lucky if it even has a scanner!

Sarfraz

growup
Recruit

Post by growup » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:40 pm

How can you expect to sell a model of Kitt without a scanner? I hope you mean there is a scanner but it does not function.

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:26 am

November? I knew nothing about that! I have to forget my Camaro mod plan. Oh, well. :cry:

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:14 pm

..I swear I posted my e-mail response from American Muscle. They told me it was due to be released in Nov.

growup, I don't think you realise that this car is small... it half way between the corgi KITT and the hotwheels KITT. Also, the price its at now, is in line with all the other Aoshima 1:43 cars...and none of them contain any fancy gizmos. Generally speaking, I have yet to pick up any 1:43 model car that contained any gimmicks...its near impossible to design as parts are very tiny at that scale....you then end up increasing costs to cover expenses (laptop vs PC's).

grrr....still no luck, according to EMS, my package has left customs (after 2 days) and has been passed on to the depot...poxy UK postal service....words cannot describe how rubbish it is.

Sarfraz

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:07 pm

Well the car would at the very least have a painted scanner I would hope right? ;) It's just a normal firebird without it.

I feel your pain sarfraz, I've had a laptop held in customs for awhile, and it was not fun. But it will be worth the wait! Patience my good man.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:00 pm

Well at the very least, the cars have plastic lenses for scanners, which I think is the least tacky way of doing a scanner without actually doing it. You got to admit Neil, these are THE most accurate KR models we can buy. That nose just looks right....not even some full scale KR cars can say that!!

You know what really annoys me. It took about two days for the package to get from Japan to London, UK. It now going into the third day since its been in the country. I've also got a Bandai NX-01 and some Transformers coming so the war is far from over with UK customs and postal :twisted:

Sarfraz

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:25 pm

Guess what? its still not here...see for yourselves:

http://211.18.214.210/cgi-bin/ems-from- ... bmit.y=5ll

...not even reached the delivery office...which is probably only a max of 40 miles from Heathrow airport. Although, this package probably went to Central London for customs....which makes the delay even more absurd.

Its time's like these that you want to got postal on the postal system :x

Sarfraz....can't take anymore waiting!

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:49 am

sarfraz wrote:Guess what? its still not here...see for yourselves:

http://211.18.214.210/cgi-bin/ems-from- ... bmit.y=5ll

...not even reached the delivery office...which is probably only a max of 40 miles from Heathrow airport. Although, this package probably went to Central London for customs....which makes the delay even more absurd.

Its time's like these that you want to got postal on the postal system :x

Sarfraz....can't take anymore waiting!
Hang in there pal.... Tell me abt it... I have not gotten mine yet too.. But at least u are guaranteed to have it soon.. The shop that I ordered it from still has no news on when they will receive stock of it....aargh!!!!! The waiting game is on.....

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:31 pm

Thanks.....just got a letter from parcel force UK. They have the parcel and want the tax ransom before they release the cars.

..grrrrrr, they can't even be bothered to bring the package to my door. I'm going there tomorrow with cash in hand. Not best pleased.......I'm so glad that the postal system in the UK is being opened up for competition. Should have a brief review and some close-up photos by the end of the day.

Total cost for each car including tax came to £30....about $50.

On the bright side, my Bandai Enterprise NX-01 came through today, without a ransom....suckers :lol:

Sarfraz

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:05 am

sarfraz wrote: Total cost for each car including tax came to £30....about $50.
Sarfraz
:shock: Wow... That is expensive!!! Hope u get the cars soon.. I wanna see some close up pics of the cars.. especially the interior.. :)

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:13 am

It would have cost £25 if customs hadn't been so mean!

Just got them today, I hadn't got out of the postal depot before I was opening the damn box!

Anyway, taking pics of the interior was abit of a nightmare. I've tried my best but the shiny windows were just reflecting too much. Site should be updated within the hour with all the pics.

Sarfraz

EDIT: site has now been updated with pics and a mini-review. click on link in my signature, then on the 1:43 Aoshima KITT/KARR link on the left bar.

Enjoy :D

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:52 am

So the ribbon thingy was for the scanner... I can't beleive it!!! The car is that small and yet there is a working scanner!!! Now that I know there is a scanner, it makes me want it more!!!! I think I want both now!!! Does the scanner move like in the series? ie: left right, right left..??

Damn.... You are so lucky sarfraz!!! I can't wait to have mine... Will I ever??? The shop still have not received any news abt it.... *sigh*... Its kinda frustrating actually.... Its been more than a week since its release in Japan...

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:21 am

...thought that was implied?....its a working scanner (it says so on the box aswell) and in my review. Its really tiny so it only has three LEDs but it still goes back and forth like in the series. You will not believe how bright it is.

The scanners ace, but wait till you see the dash in real life. Its crazy. All the buttons on the switch pod (eg turbo boost) are individually coloured.

Why don't you order from hlj.com like I did? it would probably save you waiting about for it.

Sarfraz

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:24 pm

sarfraz wrote:...thought that was implied?....its a working scanner (it says so on the box aswell) and in my review. Its really tiny so it only has three LEDs but it still goes back and forth like in the series. You will not believe how bright it is.

The scanners ace, but wait till you see the dash in real life. Its crazy. All the buttons on the switch pod (eg turbo boost) are individually coloured.

Why don't you order from hlj.com like I did? it would probably save you waiting about for it.

Sarfraz
I have no credit card. So if i were to order from hlj, I wld have to pay by money order. And that would take me abt a month to receive my item. It wld take abt a week for the money order to reach the USA, and another week for them to start shipping my item from Japan and another week for it to arrive in my country. I ordered my Bandai Enterprise-E from the same shop and they actually received it within the next day after Japan's release at hlj.com. I'm surprised its taking such a long time for them to get the 1/43 Knight Rider.

The 1/43 KITT at hlj is now out of stock(backordered). Only left with KARR...

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:33 pm

... I REALLY need a job :cry:

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:40 am

imranbecks wrote:
sarfraz wrote:...thought that was implied?....its a working scanner (it says so on the box aswell) and in my review. Its really tiny so it only has three LEDs but it still goes back and forth like in the series. You will not believe how bright it is.

Sarfraz
I have no credit card. So if i were to order from hlj, I wld have to pay by money order. And that would take me abt a month to receive my item. It wld take abt a week for the money order to reach the USA, and another week for them to start shipping my item from Japan and another week for it to arrive in my country. I ordered my Bandai Enterprise-E from the same shop and they actually received it within the next day after Japan's release at hlj.com. I'm surprised its taking such a long time for them to get the 1/43 Knight Rider.

The 1/43 KITT at hlj is now out of stock(backordered). Only left with KARR...
Bandai Enterprise-E. My friend is looking for one of them, anywhere you would recommend? I just got NX-01 through the post and I must say the metallic/aztec paint job is amazing. Still got to put it together, but I'm still working on my 60cm long F14 Tomcat.

Do you reckon they'll make a Voyager (love that ship)?

Anyway back on track. If you got a job, I would seriously recommend getting a credit card with a small limit. That way you don't over spend on it. Just looking at both the cars. The batteries for the scanner are located in the fuel tank at the rear of the car.....very clever. I'm still amazed at the wheels, the turbo-rims look so right on this model.

Sarfraz....should consider being a salesman for Aoshima :lol: