KR08: positive and negative points IMO...

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

KR08: positive and negative points IMO...

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:00 pm

I am a fan of the new show.

Lets get that out of the way before I start.

This is by no means an organised post I'm typing here so its not really split into "positive" and "negative" points or numbered or anything like that.

I just wanted to address some things that have happened in the show and also amongst TOS KR fanbase

Top of the list, as a plus, is WE HAVE KNIGHT RIDER BACK in a much better way than any other incarnation since 1986. I am one of those that hopes KR2 (doesnt make sense calling it KR08 now really and seeing as it is a continuation/sequel to TOS, KR2 seems more appropriate...) who hopes we see another season of JB and VK on the road, championing the cause of the helpless, the powerless in a world of criminals who operate above the law...

Going forward to Feb 08.

I Loved the set up of the pilot, storylinewise. It introduced characters that were new to the onscreen world of KR but had some kind of connection to the past. The relationship between Mike and the new Ki3t started brilliantly. I think, if it were not for the budget constraints and pending writers strike, we would have had our much missed Turbo Boost and other stunts. As it was, it allowed the storyline to carry the show.

Like many, Im not a fan of the shift in demographic the new show seems to have tried. Who cares what Carrie or Mike, or anyone else for that matter, gets up to in the bedroom??? It doesnt need to be shown. Being implied would have been enough to get the message across to those that were old enough and subtle enough for the younger ones to enjoy the show without being 'grossed out' (as a lot younger boys n girls are at kissing etc) or confused as to why someone would be in bed with 2 members of the opposite sex. (Carries antics WERE played a tad more subtley but not much more...)

I liked how the storyline of Jenny was left quite vague too. When MK arrived at the funeral and said she loved Mike "from the very first day..." It was very reminiscent of Devon saying to Wilton how he thought MK's new face reminded him of a young Wilton, then we met Garth in S2.... I think that could be expanded upon and we find out that MT's mother was not really Jenny but that she adopted him. It could make for an interesting S2 storyline arc, why was he adopted, what was he being protected from etc...?

The series...

First episode, started some negatives. Dodgy CGI turbo boost. Overkill on the flesh. (and I AM a fan Deanna's fantastic form, not that theres anything wrong with JB if you like that kind of thing either...) I think given the short space of time to introduce a completely new world with 3 new characters since the pilot, though, they did a good job over all.

I really like the idea of story arcs and characters developing throughout a series and referencing things that happened in their past. It gives more dimension to the show and rewards fans for their loyalty. I like the banter between MK2 and Ki3t now, its very akin to TOS.

Which brings me to a kind of negative but its something that we, on this board, have been crying out for. If the show goes TOO close to the original (Michael Knight, driver of KITT, on his own fighting for the 'little guy' etc) all the time, then there will be no point in having any ties to TOS. MK snr and KITT (snr!!) wouldnt be needed in this universe and it would cease to be a continuation... :(

Things like Ki3ts scanner sound and Voice Modulator trying to ape TOS is just a little too close, whilst I (and im sure many others on here) appreciate that we have been listened to by the powers that be on the show. I think we should be careful in what we have wished for...

Whats with KI3T having offensive weapons??? Surely they could have him shooting non lethal weapons only, if any at all. Maybe that could be addressed in a future storyline where Ki3t develops more and decides although he may have the programming and facilities to do those things, he decides not to use those abilities. Seeing as when MK2 went to rescue Ki3t in the KARR episode, non lethal weapons were stored at the SSC, so why couldnt Ki3t have those options....????

I'd like to know how Graiman became the ONLY trustee of FLAG, Knight Industries and everything else...??? Surely there's a storyline to be explored there and I guarantee that Garth Knight would NOT like someone else taking the reigns to a company and fortune that he would see as his birth right...

Having said all that, I love the way the show is heading since the KARR storylines and I really hope we get season 2. Has anyone else noticed, we're getting more TB action in standard mode too??

Long may it continue.. :good:

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Re: KR08: positive and negative points IMO...

Post by Knight007 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:15 am

I agree with most of what you said, but:

1- for the "Things like Ki3ts scanner sound and Voice Modulator ". most of the poeple on the bord love it. to have KI2T red bars on the back ground is very lovely touch. even the Scanner sound. IT kinda gives the feeling the both KI3T and KI2T do come from the same creater and beong to the same family.

2- for the "offensive weapons". Its a new Idea that adds a funny element to KI3T, specially from the way its being used. the main purpose is to have a new view of KITT. no one says that KITT doesnt have to have guns. Its agreed that the main purpose of KITT is the preservation of human life, and KITT didnt break that rule, right?

the main point is, we all agree that we would love to see a 2nd season of KR. Hope we get the word soon. Image :kitt: