Could KITT new or old ever become a reality? Should it?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Is the creation of a KITT like AI a good idea when it becomes possible in the future?

Yes it should be done! No matter what...
33%
Only if it can be guaranteed that the AI won't turn on us...
58%
No it should never be pursued at all...
9%

Total votes: 33

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Could KITT new or old ever become a reality? Should it?

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm

While is true that currently AI leaves a lot to be desired and currently the smartest robots are as intelligent as a lobotomized retarded cockroach given how fast computer technology is evolving a lot of scientists think a KITT like AI could be a reality within 50 or so years from now give or take. There are some that say is not possible under any circumstances but that is what they also said of planets outside the solar system and about Robots never being able to walk bipedal as the Honda robot does so there... Still what do you think? I think is very important to ask if we should really pursuit machine intelligence at all. Would we end up with a friendly AI like KITT or Data or a nightmare like KARR or Skynet?

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Could KITT new or old ever become a reality? Should it?

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 pm

I believe that one day AI will become very advanced. Till we have KITT-like AIs

I think that when we begin to explore robotic AIs aggressively, we'll find that all types are possible. Evil and good. I think it depends on what kind of person the creator is. Different people will make different AIs.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:31 pm

I think AI would be really cool, but we can't predict the results - they type of AI created wouldn't necessarily depend on the creator. Due to the nature of artificial intelligence, it is possible for the program to evolve and learn....but it's also possible for the program to mutate because of an unknown factor. Maybe I've read too much science-fiction, but the level of complexity required to make a true AI leaves a lot of room for error, and even the smallest errors could lead to catastrophic results down the road.

Before any type of AI were really implemented, we'd have to run extensive tests, simulations, to track progress and anomalies. The debugging would actually take longer than the development, I believe.

So KITT-type AIs? I dunno....it sure would be cool, but I'm not sure I'd want to take the chance.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:34 pm

The testing would of course be done in a controlled environment, in case an AI went rogue. A lot has been done in scifi about AI's, so not many will take chances. But I don't think the potential disastrous outcome will stop many from trying. Humans are like that. ^_^

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:42 am

lunchmeat wrote:I think AI would be really cool, but we can't predict the results - they type of AI created wouldn't necessarily depend on the creator. Due to the nature of artificial intelligence, it is possible for the program to evolve and learn....but it's also possible for the program to mutate because of an unknown factor. Maybe I've read too much science-fiction, but the level of complexity required to make a true AI leaves a lot of room for error, and even the smallest errors could lead to catastrophic results down the road.

Before any type of AI were really implemented, we'd have to run extensive tests, simulations, to track progress and anomalies. The debugging would actually take longer than the development, I believe.

So KITT-type AIs? I dunno....it sure would be cool, but I'm not sure I'd want to take the chance.
True we really have very little way of controlling how an AI will evolve so extensive safeguards would have to be put in place if things go awry. Which again begs the question should it even be attempted? Quoting from "Jurassic Park" now " just because we can do something does not necessarily means that we should...

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:02 am

We just should test them, and keep them under control.Program it to make sure it knows it's limits,give it safe guards, proper protection(anti-virus,fire walls,the works),and give it vulnerabilities.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:12 am

I highly doubt it'd be that simple...the vulnerability part could be viable, but what stops the AI from understanding and protecting that vulnerability? As an AI learns, it becomes more intelligent, and eventually it would be able to pass certain safeguards, or find ways around them (or find some sort of loophole that we didn't think about). The main problem with AI is that it's not just a computer program. Because it's constantly a work in progress, it would be very difficult to guide or predict any results in its growth. Testing seems like a viable option until you consider the timeframe; in order to test a real-world solution, you'd need real time, which could mean a very very long amount of time. If we ever build an AI, it will probably outlast us, and problems could crop up in any point in time....so say we design a working AI in 2110, and we've tested, and we think it's good. We incorporate it into our infrastructure, our culture, our way of life. It becomes a staple. 700 years down the road, an anomaly occurs, or there's a situation in which computer logic is correct but is detrimental to humans. How could we know from our current testing?

I don't know. It just seems as though there are way too many variables - programming an AI with a fixed set of core rules may not address all of them.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:22 am

Instead of AI, they should be working on making Intelligent Politicians instead.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 am

Rockatteer wrote:Instead of AI, they should be working on making Intelligent Politicians instead.
:lol: :mrgreen: LMAO :mrgreen: :lol:

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 am

I think KITT should only be real if it can be guaranteed that the AI won't turn on us...
i don't want another KARR on my hands ;)

KiTT316
Rookie

Post by KiTT316 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:59 am

One word: Terminator.

No thanks.

-Matt

MikeBKnight
Rookie

Post by MikeBKnight » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:14 am

I think YES, it definitely should happen. But what I find interesting is that one some people refer to the old show, and say things like "we already have talking cars, KR 1982 is an old concept, we need a more "up dated one", etc.' The simple fact is that there are NO cars today that can actually talk back to you. We're not even CLOSE of having a car like the 1982 version of KITT with the almost indestructible Molecular Bonded Shell, let alone the "new" Mustang version with the Nano Skin. I think that the old KITT is still VERY far away from becoming a reality (ALL the features of him I'm talking about Turbo boost (why would anyone in reality want turbo boost is beyond me lol), ski mode, the indestructible body, etc.).
Let's wait to see if they can at least come up with an indestructible car available to the public first. Sure they already have an "almost" invincible "tank like" cars (ie- the new Presidential limo), but these vehicles also have like 5" thick glass, HUGE HEAVY doors, etc. to make up for this extra protection. Kitt was just a regular car, that was pure indestructible.
Anyway, sorry for the rant, but like I said before, I think we are still a LONG way way from even seeing the 1982 KITT's technology becoming a reality.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:19 pm

I say yes it should be done. KITT should be built no mater what.
Of course I am a little biased..
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

KTMCDO
Recruit

Post by KTMCDO » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:46 pm

50 or so years for an AI like Kitt
i can see it happening wish it were sooner
however and good vs bad i agree that it depends on the
programmer how much would a car like KITT cost
and could the general public afford to purchase it

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 pm

MikeBKnight wrote:I think YES, it definitely should happen. But what I find interesting is that one some people refer to the old show, and say things like "we already have talking cars, KR 1982 is an old concept, we need a more "up dated one", etc.' The simple fact is that there are NO cars today that can actually talk back to you. We're not even CLOSE of having a car like the 1982 version of KITT with the almost indestructible Molecular Bonded Shell, let alone the "new" Mustang version with the Nano Skin. I think that the old KITT is still VERY far away from becoming a reality (ALL the features of him I'm talking about Turbo boost (why would anyone in reality want turbo boost is beyond me lol), ski mode, the indestructible body, etc.).
Let's wait to see if they can at least come up with an indestructible car available to the public first. Sure they already have an "almost" invincible "tank like" cars (ie- the new Presidential limo), but these vehicles also have like 5" thick glass, HUGE HEAVY doors, etc. to make up for this extra protection. Kitt was just a regular car, that was pure indestructible.
Anyway, sorry for the rant, but like I said before, I think we are still a LONG way way from even seeing the 1982 KITT's technology becoming a reality.
Umm... Maybe you did not notice but the thread's OP is not about whether or not we can make indestructible cars, cars that could actually transform or whatever but strictly about AI (Artifificial intelligence) because if we were to go that way I'd love a personal StarGate of my very own! :lol: :mrgreen: LOL :mrgreen: :lol:

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:14 pm

I want to see a KITT like AI be built but it needs to be tested to make sure it doesn't turn into a KARR like AI.

P.S. I accidentally voted for the wrong on. I submitted it into the top choice but ment to put it in the middle choice so you can take that into a factor when looking at the results.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 am

MikeBKnight wrote:I think that the old KITT is still VERY far away from becoming a reality (ALL the features of him I'm talking about Turbo boost (why would anyone in reality want turbo boost is beyond me lol)
Dude....it's not about the why. When someone asks you the reason, you say "just because". :P

Man, if I had a car that could turbo boost...well, actually, I'd probably use it to try to impress the ladies. I don't know how much luck I'd have, but hey.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:03 am

I find it a bit too much of a fantasy scenario for KITT to be built. Ironically, it's not because I can't see the technology developed in the near future, but because I don't see the motivation. I highly doubt we'll be driving around with cars *that* smart any time soon. Furthermore, I find it very unlikely that the private sector will develop this tech before an official party (or will develop it and keep it for themselves, for that matter).

So, while I do see smart vehicles used as weapons in the future, I believe we'll be treading more around Skynet territory and less around KITT.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:59 am

Rockatteer wrote:Instead of AI, they should be working on making Intelligent Politicians instead.
good point :good: :kitt:

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:21 am

KiTT316 wrote:One word: Terminator.

No thanks.

-Matt
I have to agree with Matt. While I think it would be really cool to have a Kitt like AI, at this point, I think we would end up with something more like SkyNet. I think the government is going to be the most likely to develop some kind of advanced AI, and I think they are going to want it to run at least certain things, especially military things.

On a side note, I'm currently working on a crossover fanfic right now concerning KR and Terminator.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:23 am

NeoRanger wrote:I find it a bit too much of a fantasy scenario for KITT to be built. Ironically, it's not because I can't see the technology developed in the near future, but because I don't see the motivation. I highly doubt we'll be driving around with cars *that* smart any time soon. Furthermore, I find it very unlikely that the private sector will develop this tech before an official party (or will develop it and keep it for themselves, for that matter).

So, while I do see smart vehicles used as weapons in the future, I believe we'll be treading more around Skynet territory and less around KITT.
I was referring in this thread to KITT as strictly the AI and not the car because you are right there would be no motivation to put such an AI in a car in the first place. But in a robot or a computer that's another matter...

And yes you re sadly correct that AI could be heading more into the direction of Skynet, The Matrix etc kind of scenarios than that of KITT, DATA etc and that is what worries me and should in fact worry us all...

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 am

^^ Hey, if it's the Matrix, I'll go for it. I mean, with Skynet, you end up fighting a war to save mankind from extinction and with the Matrix, you get to bend spoons. It's kind of neat.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:12 am

NeoRanger wrote:^^ Hey, if it's the Matrix, I'll go for it. I mean, with Skynet, you end up fighting a war to save mankind from extinction and with the Matrix, you get to bend spoons. It's kind of neat.
You would rather be a slave plugged into a machine while just living in a world that is not real? And you can only bend spoons if you learn the horrifying truth that you are nothing but a battery or processing unit for the machines...

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:35 am

Technology is progressing at a rate where its not a question of if, but when AI will become a reality. And the human condition is such that someone, somewhere will use this type of technology despite any legislation or ethical issues involved in trying to reign the technology in. Its similar to stem cell research. Bush stopped further development of new stem cell lines while he was in office, but it doesn't matter if the US stopped further research b/c other countries will continue to do it.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:Technology is progressing at a rate where its not a question of if, but when AI will become a reality. And the human condition is such that someone, somewhere will use this type of technology despite any legislation or ethical issues involved in trying to reign the technology in. Its similar to stem cell research. Bush stopped further development of new stem cell lines while he was in office, but it doesn't matter if the US stopped further research b/c other countries will continue to do it.
True in fact the scientist already have a name for this event they are calling it "The singularity" which is the moment computers and robots become so powerful that they actually become self aware... Still is up us on what terms this comes about just as is Genetic engineering etc...

Whether all this technologies become curses or blessings depends on how we reach them and how they end up being used...