Does NBC include those that watch the episodes thru the net?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Does NBC include those that watch the episodes thru the net?

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:18 pm

NBC itself provides thru their website a way to see episodes of the show thru the net so my question is do they include those that view it that way when they look at ratings? I hope so because probably a lot of people catch them that way, especially if for whatever reason could not be there to watch it on TV etc.

ianruk
Rookie

Re: Does NBC include those that watch the episodes thru the net?

Post by ianruk » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:23 pm

you mean online as in from a site?
or torrent download??

i am from london england so i cant watch the show so i download it every week and the amount of people who download it is a hell of a lot,the ratings may be low but it could be because people download it after its shown either because

1.they cant watch it because they live in different country
2.they love it but theres other things on at same time

either way it shows people like it
because its downloaded a hell of a lot

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:40 pm

I suggested a while back that maybe the hook up some ads underneath the online stream of the show to keep ad sales strong. They do that 15-30 second spot of one sponsor, and they also carry that sponsor label underneath. But what I THINK they should do is pull a rolling marquee of ads underneath the stream of the show. Hell, in full screen mode, it's still not even full screen! Is this a good idea for them to consider???

Good thread topic, PUNKMAISTER. Maybe if we keep this thread alive, the folks at NBC will see it as a genuine idea from the Knight Rider community. And our reward will be another season!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:16 pm

ianruk wrote:you mean online as in from a site?
or torrent download??

i am from london england so i cant watch the show so i download it every week and the amount of people who download it is a hell of a lot,the ratings may be low but it could be because people download it after its shown either because

1.they cant watch it because they live in different country
2.they love it but theres other things on at same time

either way it shows people like it
because its downloaded a hell of a lot
No I mean streamed video and not a download and it is from their main site.

KnightINSTINCT wrote:I suggested a while back that maybe the hook up some ads underneath the online stream of the show to keep ad sales strong. They do that 15-30 second spot of one sponsor, and they also carry that sponsor label underneath. But what I THINK they should do is pull a rolling marquee of ads underneath the stream of the show. Hell, in full screen mode, it's still not even full screen! Is this a good idea for them to consider???

Good thread topic, PUNKMAISTER. Maybe if we keep this thread alive, the folks at NBC will see it as a genuine idea from the Knight Rider community. And our reward will be another season!
Yes let's hope!

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:52 pm

I was thinking the same thing about On Demand while watching "Knight Fever" last night. Knight Rider has been one of the free primetime shows available on my cable service this season.

As far as streaming goes, I would really hope NBC and Hulu are tracking their amount of online viewers. I remember this being a big argument with CBS during the whole Jericho Nuts campaign, and I believe it was one of the reasons they brought that show back.

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:00 pm

They do look at the numbers but it factors more into the post-broadcast popularity of the show and determining how much effort to put into merchandising and other things. The traditional logic at NBC (and most networks) is that if you really like the show, you will simply watch it when it airs and buy the season boxset when it's available. If you prefer to watch it online or download it via iTunes or the Zune/Xbox Marketplace, then you are someone who isn't going to bring them any TV ratings and therefore lose the sponsorship dollars/ad revenue. That means you are only relevant to them in that they can sell you the DVD sets (if you really want to have them on disc) or make a small amount of money from your downloads.