Scored a cool find, a MINT MPC KITT body shell

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Scored a cool find, a MINT MPC KITT body shell

Post by Dave Knight » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:04 pm

I have been wanting to do a model of the KITT car for a while. but i could never find an original 82/83 vintage MPC KITT model without paying big $$$. as you may or may not know there are THREE versions of the KITT model kit.

version 1: original MPC issue with the 'golden wheels' promo on the box. this kitt had the correct body shell with the front fender extractor vents and NO 'firebird' logo on the B pillar between the side glass and rear hatch.
version 2: almost the same as the MPC issue but now it says AMT/MPC on the box and the body shell has a 'firebird' emblem on the B pillar, a TURBO Trans Am emblem on the front fenders, side molding lines that run on the doors and parts of the front fenders and rear quarters, and NO front fender vent extractors. this issue came out in 88/89 and since it shared tooling with the AMT/Ertl 89 Trans Am 20th anniversary edition that is why it had the markings and missing vents.
Version 3: reissue from about 5-7 years ago, all new box art, molded in gray plastic and clear parts (no tinted glass for the t tops and front/rear glass, and NO red lens insert for the taillights). other than some extra bits like a 86-92 rounded taillight lens and the 'third brakelight' that mounted inside the top of the rear hatch it was the same as the 88/89 reissue.

I bought one of the re issues from a few years ago, the gray plastic makes doing the tan interior THAT much easier (painting tan paint over black plastic is NOT fun :x). I plan on combining the 82/83 body shell with the the rest of the reissue kit and some smoked t tops from a 88/89 KITT re issue. and I will finish it off with this:

sorry for the long post :whistle:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Scored a cool find, a MINT MPC KITT body shell

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:53 am

Got any pics of them?