KARR continuity

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

KARR continuity

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:38 am

Apparently KARR is a great source of speculation and concern. People want to know how it fits into the timeline and I figured it deserves its own topic.

I'm going to come out with some pretty strong assertions. These are based upon me personally speaking with actors and writers and Gary Scott Thompson and reviewing dozens of articles and interviews with the cast and crew. I am in no way declaring myself to be the end-all expert regarding Knight Rider '08, but I will say that I have studied and reviewed the behind-the-scenes news in much more detail than most people have.

The Knight Rider series that began in September 2008 assumes that the basic storyline from the 80s took place: Michael Hasselhoff-Knight was a former cop who was given a new identity and the keys to a talking Trans Am and worked for the Foundation for Law And Government with a stuffy gentleman named Devon and he had the hots for a mechanic named Bonnie. That is the fundamental essence of the 80s series and this new show doesn't change any of that (or more correctly, they haven't so far.) We are pretty confident about this for several reasons including:

Mike says that his father's REAL name was Michael Long. Direct tie to the original.
Gary Scott Thompson told us personally he was interested and open to the idea of the original cast members reprising their roles in guest appearances. GST is acknowledging the original characters.

The Knight RIder series that began in September 2008 is also a bit of a re-imagining of the events that happened in the 2-hour movie that aired in February. It is not a direct continuation. We know this because Gary Scott Thompson told us directly. He said that they borrowed a lot of elements from the 2-hour movie, but they were free to dismiss anything they wanted from the 2-hour movie mythology as simply being "not true."

Does the new series acknowledge that Layla Callan existed? Maybe, maybe not. It just doesn't matter because she is not important to the mythology of the show. (She was a character in Ring of Fire and yes, I had to look it up.) Now then, KARR is obviously much more important to the mythology of the series but are the writers automatically bound to stick with the existing history?

No. It's a TV show, they can do whatever they like. And the writers of the original series certainly ignored their own timelines every now and then. How do they explain the fact that the same actors played different characters in different episodes? They could have come up with some elaborate rationalization or they could simply ignore it and say "it's TV show, it doesn't matter." KARR was destroyed in Trust Doesn't Rust. They didn't explain how he survived because ultimately it didn't matter. It was more important just to have KARR back. All they did was say "oops, KARR didn't really explode."

Let's just assume for a moment that this new KARR is in fact a brand new character and they are completely ignoring the black and silver Trans Am. That doesn't mean they're ignoring the original Michael Knight or the original KITT. They're taking creative license with the timeline to make something new. You may disagree with that decision, but you shouldn't jump to conclusions that it means they're ignoring anything else.

There are 3 possibilities:
1. The writers are strictly sticking to the mythology and this robot is a re-incarnation of the same CPU we saw lying on the ground at the end of KITT vs. KARR.

2. The writers are re-interpreting the KARR mythology (and only the KARR mythology) and this robot is a completely brand new character. The silver and black Trans Am never existed.

3. Maybe this is a new entity AND they aren't ignoring the original KARR. This robot is a new character AND the silver and black Trans Am also existed. There are two KARRs. There is a Knight Industries Two Thousand (KITT) and a Knight Industries Three Thousand (KITT). Two different characters, same acronym. Maybe there is a Knight Automated Roving Robot (KARR) and the Knight Auto-cybernetic Roving Robotic exo-skeleton (KARR). Which means in theory they could have an episode "KARR vs KARR" with a silver-and-black Trans Am fighting a robot.

My money is on Door #2.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

User avatar
Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:36 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Winter Haven, FLA
Contact:

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:51 am

Door #2 aswell, and i'm proud of that.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

User avatar
BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:07 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Knight Research Mobile Rig (KRMR)

Re: KARR continuity

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:08 am

Well there is still a bit of a leeway that could be taken on this issue, especially considering what Charles Graiman said in an episode, "I do not want another KARR!". OK, another KARR? Which KARR was he talking about?
1. If he's talking about TOS KARR, then TOS KARR existed.
2. But maybe he's talking about the new KARR, which ties to Michael's Door #2 in my opinion.

Where would I put my money? I'd put it on my #2 and Michael's #2, but apparently there are still some people who will insist to the point of death that Charles Graiman was referring to the TOS KARR in that episode.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: KARR continuity

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:34 am

Here's the thing... I don't care if it's a new KARR, that's easy enough to explain away while keeping the original KARR's history and everything intact. But the thing is why do it at the expense of totally disregarding history? Seriously, KARR at the end of KvK was reduced to just the AI unit being the only thing left intact so why mess with that history? If I had to choose I'd take a combination of one and three, there's no good reason why KARR would be a Trans-Am again and they don't need to even make this new KARR be the original AI. A new AI created by the Military based on the original KARR AI designs against the wishes and warnings of Charles? Easy to explain and could be done without even going into much depth. Would it be so wrong to get new viewers curious about the original series if they never saw it? They could just as easily Google KARR and do a little reading, they're going to do that anyway and find out about the original KARR if they didn't know already. I guarantee a lot of people will think it of it as a lame stunt to use KARR when they could have just as easily (maybe, I'm not sure if they're totally bankrupt in a creative sense) come up with a new character with a different acronym. Even Team Knight Rider did that with KRO and KRO was awesome! One of the very few bright spots of TKR.

I'd just find it extremely lazy if they just went the route of retconning the original KARR from the original show's history if not in some way disrespectful. This isn't some minor character in a single episode of the original series played by an actor or actress who would go on and show up again as someone else or people who worked together that had no real interest in maintaining much continuity, or even bring a character back from the dead. Like I said in the other topic, KARR is one of the only two characters/villains that even have a remote chance of being known in the mainstream, all they'd be doing is a bait and switch in capitalizing on the name recognition. What's next? Mike having a long lost twin named Garthe? Would anyone here have a problem if they did that?

It would just go to prove even more to me that they have no real interest in the new series being a "continuation" other than in the sense to try and get TOS fans on board with what they are trying to sell which is Knight Rider done their way. I just don't understand why they'd so something that I perceive as stupid and short sighted when they could easily have both, there's a 22 year gap between the new and the original series. That gives them plenty of room for some back story and enough time to where they should be able to easily enough create their own setting not totally ruled by the past events and have to be heavy on the original mythology at all. It's bad that I know I could come up with stuff that is better than the powers that be while pleasing fans of the original (whether they've stuck around over the years or if it's just a memory from 20+ years ago) while entertaining and bringing in new fans and I'm one of those who don't have a "need" or much of a desire to see Hasselhoff or the original KITT (with WD) again.

The new KARR might be the coolest looking thing ever done for television and maybe we'll forget all about it while watching it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to strike the original KARR from the mythology in a show that's meant to be a continuation.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: KARR continuity

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:29 am

Here's another thing, GST said we'd find out about FLAG in episode 13, okay, obviously going to tie into history or will it? KARR was asked about and he said KARR wasn't forgotten, well if the original KARR is being removed from of continuity then it seems to be something meant to be forgotten and the only thing they haven't forgotten is the name KARR?

What happened to FLAG?


You’ll find about FLAG in episode 13.


I hope you're going to continue the story with kitt vs karr.


Keep watching, KARR has not been forgotten.

http://blog.nbc.com/knightrider/gary_scott_thompson/



There's a time to be vague and we all know GST loves being so, but there's also a time when you need to flat out give straight answers instead of creating more questions and I think that time is now instead of telling us to "keep watching" like the Q&A from over a month ago. When you do it too much it makes it seem (at least to me) that you have no idea where you're going and can't give a straight answer or you do know but don't want to say because you know the direction being taken is going to upset and anger a lot of people. I'm sure a straight up "yes" or "no" to some questions isn't going to spoil much, if anything.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight316
Operative
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:15 am

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Knight316 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:29 am

Here's another thing, GST said we'd find out about FLAG in episode 13,


I don't know if that's been scrapped now because of the Reboot though. I really hope not cause that's what we've all been waiting for with baited breath.

Mango19
Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:42 am

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Mango19 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:29 am

Well, I posted this in another thread (before I saw this one). I want to add option #4 to Michael's list:

4. "KARR" refers to a military project, not a single robot (or car). Like the Osprey, the Knight Automated Roving Robot has been under development by the Pentagon and Knight Industries off and on for 25 years. And, like the Osprey, there have been numerous design changes and set-backs (the Osprey had a high body count too in its experimental phase). But the project continued, and they didn't change the name.

This KARR is the latest prototype from this project. While the first appeared in TOS, we have no idea if the current version is the second KARR, or the fifteenth or twentieth.

My theory is Graimen was brought back in to work on the latest KARR in exchange for funding his resurrection of the Knight Rider project and building the KI3T.

How's that play?

User avatar
KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:16 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Chandler az

Re: KARR continuity

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:07 am

Well, I've said elsewhere, that I'd prefer this show had been a reimagining" rather than a 10 year continuation, and KARR being a prototype of KI3T would make more sense. because you have that other guy, and that other pesky car that had a rather long history with FLAG that happened AFTER KARR was destroyed. it would make more sense timeline wise- except for Mike's ties to his father, and why he had to change his name. Charles Graiman could've been Wilton knight, Sarah could have been his daughter Jennifer, and they could've worked together on KI3T, after Wilton put his faith in the wrong people building KARR. as it stands right now, tying Mike into whatever happened with KARR kind of makes the origin clunky.
Oh, and I recognized the name layla Callan the moment i saw it, didn't have to look it up or anything. Does that make me the ultimate knight Rider Knerd, or what?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

User avatar
Mike Knight
Rookie
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Southern CA

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Mike Knight » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53 pm

PheonixZero said it best. Using KARR's name and having it NOT be the same KARR from TOS was a deliberate bait-and-switch. It's pathetic, it's stupid, it's wrong.

If you're not going to give a damn about continuity and rewrite it whenever you feel like it, than don't do a sequel series. Start from scratch. I would have prefurred they did that instead of getting my expectations up and pulling a 180 on me.

I'm all for the show doing it's own thing, but you can't pull something like this. It would be as if they said the "Knight Industries Two Thousand" was going to have a guest appearance on the show, and it turned out to be another Mustang with Val Kilmer's voice that was not the same one from TOS. It was a trick to get more viewers.

But more distressing is the fact that a lot of posters here are okay about the KARR bait-and-switch. I don't care if you want to see something new. I can't argue about whether or not you like the KITT transformations and Billy/Zoe or whatnot, I don't even mind that you guys actually want to see a complete ripoff of Transformers in this new KARR. But you guys shouldn't be okay with using that name when it isn't what we expect that name to be. Call it something else, for God's sake. "KARR" sets up certain expectations which have been shattered for me.

As for door #1.... Michael, you indicated that you knew it wasn't the same AI when you mentioned a set visit. Does this mean you actually didn't know? If you were so confident earlier about the fact that it was an entirely new entity, then why even mention something like #1 as an option?

If you weren't sure, then you shouldn't have acted like you were. Similarly, if you know it's not the same KARR but are still acting like it might still be, that's just rude.
One man can make a difference....

User avatar
Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:45 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:04 pm

[As per the previous thread which also applies here]
Lost Knight wrote:
Michael Pajaro wrote:I think you're missing the point. In this version of Knight Rider, the Trans Am KARR never existed. They are playing with the timeline. Let's not get too hung up on the name, it is what it is. I'm hoping that very soon everyone will be able to see what I saw and nobody will care what the robot is called; they'll just be excited to see a bad-ass villain in an upcoming episode.


Whoa, whoa, whoa. As others have already pointed out, this seems like the writers are changing the game to suit their own needs and more or less doing what they want. I knew all along that the series was only 'loosely' based on the backdoor pilot, so any facts established in it were potentially subject to change. And so far nothing I've seen has even really contradicted the pilot; it's only just mostly ignored it which is fine. And ignoring Knight Rider 2000, Team Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2010 is fine, too, which in those cases I would agree is probably the smartest thing to do.

But as for this "sequel" series now messing around with the timeline if it's true is just plain irresponsible and wrong. The writers need to pick a direction and stick with it, not just change things around because no one wanted to pay close enough attention to the original series' mythology. It isn't that difficult and there weren't all that many story arcs in the original series, especially regarding K.A.R.R. who was only in two episodes. They want to make it a sequel? Connect the mythology or just ignore it but without contradicting previously established canon. They want to do a reimagining? Change things around as much as they want. But you can't do it both ways.

Mike named himself after his father, Michael Knight, and he even acknowledged that his dad's original last name was Michael Long in the first episode. That already establishes this series as a sequel. And now it just doesn't make any sense to simply pick and choose only the elements they want to acknowledge. They can ignore as much as they want and the revisionist history with Graiman building the original K.I.T.T. pushed things far enough, but that's where it should have stopped.

It does seem like this final episode is the best the series has to offer from the sound of things, and I am still looking forward to it. But it really isn't that damn hard to still do things a new way while at the same time connecting the dots, so to speak. OK, I feel better getting out that rant now...


Michael Pajaro wrote:Does the new series acknowledge that Layla Callan existed? Maybe, maybe not. It just doesn't matter because she is not important to the mythology of the show. (She was a character in Ring of Fire and yes, I had to look it up.) Now then, KARR is obviously much more important to the mythology of the series but are the writers automatically bound to stick with the existing history?

No. It's a TV show, they can do whatever they like. And the writers of the original series certainly ignored their own timelines every now and then. How do they explain the fact that the same actors played different characters in different episodes? They could have come up with some elaborate rationalization or they could simply ignore it and say "it's TV show, it doesn't matter." KARR was destroyed in Trust Doesn't Rust. They didn't explain how he survived because ultimately it didn't matter. It was more important just to have KARR back. All they did was say "oops, KARR didn't really explode."


As you can see in my above post, I have to strongly disagree here. Using the same actors over again is a moot point because story-wise they do not contradict facts. They only have the same appearance as previous characters, which was unfortunate, but I don't think it necessarily compares to rewriting history.

Having K.A.R.R. explode at the end of "Trust Doesn't Rust" is a better example, but at least the writers gave K.I.T.T. that throwaway line: "But I saw him explode! You saw him explode!" And fans have come up with many of their own theories over the last 20+ years to explain it, such as the flames coming from the exhaust and the salt water bleaching his scanner lens yellow, etc. Even still, it's different than what the writers in the new series are now doing with this apparent new K.A.R.R., which may be a blatant rewrite of history. It was a lot smoother in the original series. And I know other examples of ignoring pre-established facts can be cited in the original series like Michael Long's badge number changing, etc., but those were small details that no one was really supposed to read that closely in the first place. The writers didn't change the actual events.

Michael Pajaro wrote:Let's just assume for a moment that this new KARR is in fact a brand new character and they are completely ignoring the black and silver Trans Am. That doesn't mean they're ignoring the original Michael Knight or the original KITT. They're taking creative license with the timeline to make something new. You may disagree with that decision, but you shouldn't jump to conclusions that it means they're ignoring anything else.

There are 3 possibilities:
1. The writers are strictly sticking to the mythology and this robot is a re-incarnation of the same CPU we saw lying on the ground at the end of KITT vs. KARR.

2. The writers are re-interpreting the KARR mythology (and only the KARR mythology) and this robot is a completely brand new character. The silver and black Trans Am never existed.

3. Maybe this is a new entity AND they aren't ignoring the original KARR. This robot is a new character AND the silver and black Trans Am also existed. There are two KARRs. There is a Knight Industries Two Thousand (KITT) and a Knight Industries Three Thousand (KITT). Two different characters, same acronym. Maybe there is a Knight Automated Roving Robot (KARR) and the Knight Auto-cybernetic Roving Robotic exo-skeleton (KARR). Which means in theory they could have an episode "KARR vs KARR" with a silver-and-black Trans Am fighting a robot.

My money is on Door #2.


It seemed from your post in another thread that it was definite that the timeline was being played around with. But if it's just speculation on your part, Michael, that makes a big difference because all the debating we're doing may end up being over nothing...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

User avatar
My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Here...always here.

Re: KARR continuity

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:53 pm

I for one am very excited about seeing the new KARR. It sounds awesome!

However, why call it KARR, if it is not in any close relation to the original KARR? In a way, I hope they use some sort of 2 line reference like

"I was brought in to help build KITT after the original KARR went rampant. I had not connection with the original prototype."

There has to be an original KARR. Remember, KI2T was the "inferior production line model". He was built after KARR. No KARR, mean no KI2T, which ends in no KI3T. It's like saying, my grandmother was never born but here I am.

It is hard to swallow this news but in time I guess I will see it how some others have.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

User avatar
KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:16 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Chandler az

Re: KARR continuity

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:55 pm

Mike Knight wrote:PheonixZero said it best. Using KARR's name and having it NOT be the same KARR from TOS was a deliberate bait-and-switch. It's pathetic, it's stupid, it's wrong.

If you're not going to give a damn about continuity and rewrite it whenever you feel like it, than don't do a sequel series. Start from scratch. I would have prefurred they did that instead of getting my expectations up and pulling a 180 on me.

I'm all for the show doing it's own thing, but you can't pull something like this. It would be as if they said the "Knight Industries Two Thousand" was going to have a guest appearance on the show, and it turned out to be another Mustang with Val Kilmer's voice that was not the same one from TOS. It was a trick to get more viewers.

But more distressing is the fact that a lot of posters here are okay about the KARR bait-and-switch. I don't care if you want to see something new. I can't argue about whether or not you like the KITT transformations and Billy/Zoe or whatnot, I don't even mind that you guys actually want to see a complete ripoff of Transformers in this new KARR. But you guys shouldn't be okay with using that name when it isn't what we expect that name to be. Call it something else, for God's sake. "KARR" sets up certain expectations which have been shattered for me.

As for door #1.... Michael, you indicated that you knew it wasn't the same AI when you mentioned a set visit. Does this mean you actually didn't know? If you were so confident earlier about the fact that it was an entirely new entity, then why even mention something like #1 as an option?

If you weren't sure, then you shouldn't have acted like you were. Similarly, if you know it's not the same KARR but are still acting like it might still be, that's just rude.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'm not a slave to continuity the way some people are. In fact, now that I know that the movie last Feburary isn't exactly cannon, I can better accept Sarah's upgrade to field agent. continuity just bogs you down.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

User avatar
knightofthephoenix
Operative
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: KARR continuity

Post by knightofthephoenix » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:59 pm

It's not okay if the original KARR never existed.

User avatar
knightriderfan80
Recruit
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 am

Re: KARR continuity

Post by knightriderfan80 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:14 pm

My_Friend_KITT wrote:I for one am very excited about seeing the new KARR. It sounds awesome!

However, why call it KARR, if it is not in any close relation to the original KARR? In a way, I hope they use some sort of 2 line reference like

"I was brought in to help build KITT after the original KARR went rampant. I had not connection with the original prototype."

There has to be an original KARR. Remember, KI2T was the "inferior production line model". He was built after KARR. No KARR, mean no KI2T, which ends in no KI3T. It's like saying, my grandmother was never born but here I am.

It is hard to swallow this news but in time I guess I will see it how some others have.


I totally agree with you on this... This is probably the worst continuity I have ever seen if this is what ends up happening.

User avatar
Mike Knight
Rookie
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Southern CA

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Mike Knight » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:16 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'm not a slave to continuity the way some people are. In fact, now that I know that the movie last Feburary isn't exactly cannon, I can better accept Sarah's upgrade to field agent. continuity just bogs you down.


I'm no slave to continuity. That rude insinuation makes me seem foolish. But I fail to see what's not to grasp about my complaint.

You say "KARR." I think of that silver and black Trans-Am, not "Transforming Robot." Calling the new thing KARR makes me think of a carry-over of TOS mythology. That's what I expected. That's what I want in a sequel series. It's not unreasonable to expect this. If they said they were going to have Dr. Bonnie Barstow on the show, you would expect it to be the same character, yes (Whether or not it's the same actress)?

"Continuity bogs you down?" What kind of *?$# thinking is that? I'm sorry, but is it wrong to expect a sequel series to actually be a sequel series? If they didn't want to have to deal with continuity, than don't bait-and-switch using past continuity, simple as that. You like this transforming monstrosity? That's fine. I may even find it cool when it airs. But calling it "KARR" and not having it actually be "KARR" isn't cool. Call it KRO for all I care. The name doesn't matter UNLESS it ties into a major piece of the mythology and doesn't use that tie.

I really dislike it when fans just "accept" what is done. Naturally, we can't have things the way we want them. I can settle for things. But the KARR fiasco is inexcusable. And acceptance of it is even worse. THAT was a deliberate fakeout on the part of the production. If it's not "KARR" then don't call it "KARR." Simple as that.

If it's a sequel, continuity is required if you give a @&^#. If it's a restart, it doesn't matter. If they weren't going to treat the mythology correctly, they needed not to call it a sequel.
One man can make a difference....

User avatar
knightriderfan80
Recruit
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 am

Re: KARR continuity

Post by knightriderfan80 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Well put... there are a gazillion other acronyms they could have called the new so-called KARR... This is NOT KARR, therefore do not call it KARR...

I agree, it is a fakeout by the production and it really pisses in TOS fans cornflakes.

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:44 pm

Guys come on, let's keep it civil please.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

User avatar
knightriderfan80
Recruit
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 am

Re: KARR continuity

Post by knightriderfan80 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:55 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:Guys come on, let's keep it civil please.


Its just disappointing to see them call it something that in actuality, it isn't. They basically used the Acronym to appease and hush hush TOS fanbase rather than carry out the entire continuation from what KARR really was and is. The fact is, KARR is from what we remember an active AI laying out in the sand amongst the ruins of his Trans Am body. Therefore, if your going to call the NEW KARR, "KARR", then it needs to have some substance and not some new fantasy built off what the real story is about. That is just a slap in the face to us fans. Its would have been more acceptable to just come up with a whole new name and acronym with no reference to KARR rather than get the hopes up of us fans just to try and keep us quiet.

User avatar
Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 8:17 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hanging out with KITT in SPARTA!

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:42 pm

knightofthephoenix wrote:It's not okay if the original KARR never existed.

True!We have to keep original KARR!
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:25 pm

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Doesn't matter much which KARR it is, as soon as it changes into a robot, it is going to be stupid. Although, I DID like that concept the FIRST time I saw it in TRANSFORMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:23 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: KARR continuity

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:21 pm

i want to see the Knight 2000 and the original KARR back along with the hoff. no ifs ands or buts about it!! :twisted: :karr: :evil: :kitt:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

User avatar
Mike Knight
Rookie
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Southern CA

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Mike Knight » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:08 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:Doesn't matter much which KARR it is, as soon as it changes into a robot, it is going to be stupid. Although, I DID like that concept the FIRST time I saw it in TRANSFORMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!


Yeah it is a little stupid, but you know, if it was the original KARR's AI, then at least that's an interesting place to take his character (as he'd be able to wreak more havoc than ever before with a giant robot form). But as it stands, the only thing making the KARR-bot idea interesting is if the original KARR's AI is in it. Otherwise, the new one is just another Decepticon.
One man can make a difference....

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: KARR continuity

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Here's the thing. I have no problem with there being a new KARR, as silly as that might be, if it's written right then fine. I just despise the idea of their removing the original KARR from history for no reason at all.

Like I said here where I was thinking I was posting in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=13098&start=25#p156443

It's easy to explain a new KARR, even if for some reason it was the same AI, depending on the AI unit worked (it's very open) the AI's memory bank is either a part of the AI Unit or located elsewhere, which if that were the case, would have probably been destroyed. So, no real memories of the events of 20+ years ago. But retconning in the way of making it so ____ didn't happen is just lazy. They could just as easy made it a new KARR designed by the military, based on the original's recovered AI Unit.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:25 pm

Re: KARR continuity

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Yeah it is a little stupid, but you know, if it was the original KARR's AI, then at least that's an interesting place to take his character (as he'd be able to wreak more havoc than ever before with a giant robot form). But as it stands, the only thing making the KARR-bot idea interesting is if the original KARR's AI is in it. Otherwise, the new one is just another Decepticon.

Yeah, true.
Here's the thing. I have no problem with there being a new KARR, as silly as that might be, if it's written right then fine. I just despise the idea of their removing the original KARR from history for no reason at all.

I agree.

User avatar
neps
Site Administrator
Posts: 3256
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: nyc, usa
Contact:

Re: KARR continuity

Post by neps » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:46 pm

From what I heard, and now this was a month ago, that there was a decision to not make it clear and this is why the acronym is different. They wanted to leave it open-ended whether this KARR is a continuation of the original or just "inspired" by it.

They don't want to say what happened to the original KI2T or Trans-Am KARR just yet, they're waiting for the right time and story. Whether that time made it before episode 17, I don't know.

Locked