"The skin scene"

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

"The skin scene"

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Mike and Sarah have to take of their clothes inside KITT to survive the rising temperature after KITT turns into a 200mph fireball.

This scene is getting a lot of attention and a lot of criticism but I have to say it's Brilliant.

It reminded me of the pilot episode of "Enterprise", arguably the weakest show in the Star Trek franchise. Vulcan female T'Pol and human male Trip return from a mission and are put in quarantine. They have to wash their skin with a "decontamination gel" before they can be released. So they are put in a dimly lit room, stripped to their undies, and they start rubbing a kind of lotion on each other as they bicker.

The scene is completely gratuitous. It's even a bit forced. Yet within the context of the story, it sort of makes sense. And it gave the fanboys (and girls) just what they wanted. That's exactly how I felt with the Knight Rider premiere. Yes, we all know it was a convoluted excuse to see some flesh. So?! And you can't say it was sexist because you ladies had a little something in there too. Everyone has been talking about how sexy the leads are, so why not show them off. Yes, it was absurd yet it kind of made sense and I think it's hysterical.

It goes back to an old quote from Hasselhoff which I'll paraphrase: "YOU know it's ridiculous, WE know it's ridiculous, but just sit back and enjoy it."
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Will
Rookie

Re: "The skin scene"

Post by Will » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:14 pm

I have to agree there.

And none of you can say you didn't expent it either. Most of us seen the pic of Sarah in her top for a few weeks almost a month now. people who have a problem with Violence/sex on tv shouldn't have tv in the first place cause its there, big deal. Wash your eyeballs out with rubbing alcohol, cause this shows stayin. :D ;)

:kitt:
If at first you don't succeed...cheat, repeat, until caught...

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:41 pm

I thought it was brilliant to turn KITT into a rolling fireball with the humans inside, wondering how they were going to get out of this one; I found the gratuitous "shedding of clothes" scene to be gratuitous and uneccesary.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:50 pm

My problem with the fireball scene is that it went on WAY to long.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:24 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:And you can't say it was sexist because you ladies had a little something in there too.
Actually, I can. Most female underwear is a joke, and reveals much more than boxers/jockey shorts on a guy. I suppose we should be glad Sarah was in boy shorts but still. It annoys me. The scene with Sarah on a stretcher when she pulls her legs up into a crouch on her back bugs me the most because it looked like... you know.

In fact, I just finished telling my mom how neat the episode was (I saw it on hulu and told her over the phone) and I know tomorrow she'll say "What the hell do you mean 'it was neat' ?!?" when she gets a load of that.

In retrospect most of the shows on network TV have some sort of skin scene... I recall the CSI one where one of the team got drugged and taken away, and when she woke up she was naked or close to it.

I still argue that it was unnecessary and pandering of KR to do that (and for so long, as EdwardKnox said) but what the hell. For that matter, the trampy type people at my school show the same amount of skin in broad daylight and I can't get away from it.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:09 pm

why didnt the new car have the 'oxygen' feature like the old car...??

Ive only seen the clips associated with KROnline but im sure i heard ki3t say that Mike and Sarah had no oxygen in the car...?? WHY?

Especially as GST say's he watched season 1 of TOS and KITT got the oxygen upgrade in 'slammin sammy....' (was that the second episode?)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:17 pm

That's fair.

But just as another reminder, over 25 years ago Knight Rider had an entire episode revolving around what was essentially a Playboy Centerfold. And there were a lot of "jiggle montages" throughout the series.

I absolutely agree the scene was gratuitous and unnecessary. Some people will say that's why it was bad. Some will say that's why it was good.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:24 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:why didnt the new car have the 'oxygen' feature like the old car...??
Well the K3000 doesn't have the same features as the K2000, but you're right! It wouldn't have been a problem for the Trans Am.

I'm sure the writer's weren't thinking along these lines, but here's a thought: an oxygen-rich environment is extremely combustible so if KITT wasn't absolutely air tight and there was even the slightest leak, there could have been an explosion bringing the flames inside the car.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:39 pm

Kitt must not be equipped with air conditioning.... :good:

Let's not have the reality talk about the car being on fire therfore A/C would not work. Were also talking about a car that transforms into a freakin truck.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:49 pm

I found my use of the word "gratuitous" in my last post, to be a bit gratuitous. :D
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Well, my six-year-old would have been happier if Deanna Russo folded up into a truck, but not me...

But, I've heard rumblings that KITT does underwater work later in the season, so maybe the thought of adding features to KITT as the season progresses is something we should wait for.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 pm

DevonStyles wrote:Kitt must not be equipped with air conditioning.... :good:

Let's not have the reality talk about the car being on fire therfore A/C would not work. Were also talking about a car that transforms into a freakin truck.
Howabout the fact that an internal combustion engine wouldn't work in an oxygen-less tunnel :P Sure, he could run on on batteries, but the engine sure sounded like a gasoline one :lol: (not actually criticizing, just playing along with the nitpicking.)

As for the topic, Pajaro's exactly right. It was gratuitous, it was unnecessary, but it did kinda make sense, lol. (The rest of the show DID seem to go out of its way to make sex jokes, but whatever)

I STILL don't understand why they released the show a week in advance on the internet...but I liked it on the whole, I hope it sticks around.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:44 pm

On the other hand, there are lots of fire fighting foams available that they could have hosed the car down with (look at any aircraft carrier's fire fighting capability) and still have had the same dramatic effect. Sloppy.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 pm

I think maybe the producers have something like this in mind...

Plan A: Make KITT the star of the show.
Plan B: If Plan A fails, make Deanna the star of the show.
Plan C: If Plan B fails, make Deanna show some skin to make Plan B work.

:mrgreen:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:41 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:why didnt the new car have the 'oxygen' feature like the old car...??
That’s a good question, maybe he did and he ran out? He had a gauge that was counting down the supply…
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:06 am

DevonStyles wrote:Kitt must not be equipped with air conditioning.... :good:

In this scene, KITT does tell Charles that he was attempting to cool the inside of the car, but it was not as successful as he'd hoped. So the car does have a/c, but was not able to cool the cabin down as fast as the fire was heating it us

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:58 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I'm sure the writer's weren't thinking along these lines, but here's a thought: an oxygen-rich environment is extremely combustible so if KITT wasn't absolutely air tight and there was even the slightest leak, there could have been an explosion bringing the flames inside the car.
On subs we have "emergency air breathers", the system maintains air -- not pure oxygen -- at 100 psi, everyone has a mask in their rack (Bed) as well as at your watch station, and there are various places to plug in... here's a submarine qualified officer demonstrating it to midshipmen from "Annapolis": eab demo

I seem to remember that drop down air thing...was it pure O2? I don't remember. There was some scene where Michael was bleeding and he says something like "KITT, oxygen, 100 psi" doesn't he? But he could have meant "oxygen" as a metaphor for air...

--Brian

KR4Life
Recruit

Post by KR4Life » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 am

EdwardKnoxII wrote:My problem with the fireball scene is that it went on WAY to long.

Yeah, it was a bit too long, but I still liked it. When you consider how Mike reacted after they got out of KITT, it could be argued that the 'skin scene' provided an valuable emotional plot point: Mike still loves Sarah and would never want her to get hurt, but you just know Sarah will be riding 'shotgun' on more missions in the future.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:43 am

Erm, for gratuitous stripping: see Baywatch.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:00 am

I didn't think it was out of place at all.

It was done in just the right way to make it work... and it did.

This new Knight Rider rocks!!
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:24 am

Mango19 wrote: But, I've heard rumblings that KITT does underwater work later in the season, so maybe the thought of adding features to KITT as the season progresses is something we should wait for.
So KITT is (as of episode 1) not airtight then...??

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm not sure about the press in the states but this scene has caught the attention of the UK tabloid:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 734396.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To be fair, I think the reporter is taking it in the right amusing spirit. Mind you I think the mail has gone into more detail?????

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -KITT.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whatever the case, is this abit much for a scene I thought was abit tongue in cheek but not to me, controversial.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:06 pm

From my bit of experience of both, the sensationalistic tabloids that they are, are nothing but trash written by complete and total morons for attention who can't bother to either get things right or choose not to because it would go against whatever agenda they have. That goes double for the Daily Mail which I have seen some appallingly ignorant and stupid stories from. Even worse is that the AP and other news outlets here take them as if they're some legitimate news agency. Oh and was that anymore revealing than a lot of shows (or commercials) that air over there?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

jminn5703
Stranger

Post by jminn5703 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Well as a guy sarah his hot so seeing her stripping down to her bra and underware she looked hot in my book and people that have a fuss over seeing this needs to get a life. I mean its 2008 not 1982, I mean what if in the 1980s what if Mr Knight walked in on Bonnie as she was in the middle of undressing i dont think we would mind one bit. I am sure Mr. Knight had some dreams about Bonnie during the 80s show. So for me showing some skin is not the end of the world. Sarah looked hot in my book.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 pm

What my question is, Why//How did that missle lock onto Mike in the first place?????