The flaws of Knight rider! Answers please! Your thoughts!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

3rings
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The flaws of Knight rider! Answers please! Your thoughts!

Post by 3rings » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:53 am

First of all, I am a huge fan of Knight rider, but a friend and I watched some episodes and he goes along and finds all the wrong things with each episode. And at times he's right, Like Deadly Maneuvers for example: A good episode but there is no way Michael would be allowed to walk freely around that army base like he did. And how easily he got into that ammunitions bldg with the tactical nuclear weapons. My friend was like he wouldn't of even got within a mile of that bldg in reality. There would be so many army guards on him plus they wouldn't leave the doors unlocked to the bldg. Why do these shows do dumb stuff like this? Or scenes in where in the pilot they were at a demolition derby, and my friend sais, they would not be driving in circles around the track in a real demolition derby, or a scene in where one of the villians shoots at KITT, it bounces and ricochets back onto the helicoptor that the villians are in, and the hit is then on the opposite side of the helicopter. In my opinion it just irritates me when I see those flaws.

What are your thoughts and tell me what flaws you all found in Knight rider episodes for fun.

Thanks,
John B. :kitt: :karr:

Judd
Operative

Re: The flaws of Knight rider! Answers please! Your thoughts!

Post by Judd » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:34 pm

TV physics is definately in play during the course of the series. Apart from that, this is something I noticed during my marathon.

How does FLAG get convictions. Michael and FLAG over and over again blow their nose on the Constitution and people's civil liberities. Much of the evidence they obtain is through illegal means. One can't, break and enter, serach a person's residence without a warrent, wire tap without a warrent, hack into a personal computer or threaten violence to get confessions.

FLAG in not a government agency but they wouldn't get convictions in a court of law with the methods they use to obtain evidense. Michael was a cop who knows how the law works. They would be in serious trouble with the law from the methods they employ.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:38 pm

Judd wrote:TV physics is definately in play during the course of the series. Apart from that, this is something I noticed during my marathon.

How does FLAG get convictions. Michael and FLAG over and over again blow their nose on the Constitution and people's civil liberities. Much of the evidence they obtain is through illegal means. One can't, break and enter, serach a person's residence without a warrent, wire tap without a warrent, hack into a personal computer or threaten violence to get confessions.

FLAG in not a government agency but they wouldn't get convictions in a court of law with the methods they use to obtain evidense. Michael was a cop who knows how the law works. They would be in serious trouble with the law from the methods they employ.
Wasn't FLAG sanctioned?
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 pm

In many respects, the idea of the Knight Rider should have perhaps been more akin to the Batman, and been a clandestinely sanctioned vigilante whose name was quiet literally an untraceable alias, that would be forever kept clean, no matter what occurred, so as to not tip people off as to exactly when Michael Knight came into existence.

Using this basis, the idea of Michael and KITT becoming an urban legend is much more understandable, as the stories that would be told would be of their theatrical antics alone, as no one would have even the most basic of knowledge of where they came from, let alone an inclination that they were in the employ of an agency like the Foundation for Law And Government.

To me, this would have made more sense than having people contact the Foundation for help, and have Devon inform them he’s sending Michael, as the help they would be contacting Devon for would be the legal help that the Foundation was designed for, whilst he in turn would then sanction Michael’s extralegal activities wherever he deemed it necessary, in an effort to provide the evidence that the criminals they usually target are otherwise able to conceal.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:16 pm

My impression was the Foundation was a private organization thus Michael was more or less a private investigator and not connected with the government. He still would have to obtain evidence legally in order to get a conviction in a court of law. The only way around it is if the Foundation was paying off police, lawyers, judges.

Another potential flaw in the series. Does any else think at time Knight Rider was slightly sexist in the way women were protrayed? It isn't as bad as other shows of the time. I notice that many of the women characters are kind of bland damsal of the week types. Bonnie and April aren't. They were engineers, mechanics and scientists. There were other dynmanic women characters in the series also but at times the women were sterotypes.

Just an observation.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:41 am

Judd wrote:Another potential flaw in the series. Does any else think at time Knight Rider was slightly sexist in the way women were protrayed? It isn't as bad as other shows of the time. I notice that many of the women characters are kind of bland damsal of the week types.
Just an observation.

Yeah... I felt this way a bit. There was one episode with a woman trucker and she was a pretty strong character, but for the most part they seemed to be feeble women. And mon dieu the clothes they wore...

As per the Army base episode: I'm from a military family and my mom noted the insignia on the outfits wasn't used by any branch of the military at all.... they made up things to signify rank and such.

Random horse industry nitpick: In the episode where they're rescuing a horse called King Jack (first of all that's a stupid name, sorry!) I'm presuming King Jack is his registered name. And Michael calls him that. All.the.time. Every horse with a registered name typically has a barn name unless the two are the same. A horse named Endeavor Doc is Eddie around the barn, Man O' War was Big Red, and so on.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:43 am

As Glen A. Larson said in the DVD commentary on the KR Pilot.
"Knight Rider was really a B.S. premise."

That being said, I wouldn't put a lot of thought into the legalities of the original show.
The original was escapist entertainment - a product of the 1980s. It was about as
realistic as two country boys who could jump 300 feet in the air without damaging
their indestructible orange muscle car.

KITT alone was probably responsible for Millions in property damage (for smashing so many vehicles,
buildings, etc.) -- I mean.... turbo boosting through the roof of an aqueduct just because they are lost?
How many villain vehicles did KITT not need to destroy -- when he could simply micro jam their brakes?

The new series turns Knight Rider into a government operative. Its more plausible than original Vigilante
premise. Although, the technology in the new show looks like they are jumping the shark in many areas.
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Judd wrote:My impression was the Foundation was a private organization thus Michael was more or less a private investigator and not connected with the government. He still would have to obtain evidence legally in order to get a conviction in a court of law. The only way around it is if the Foundation was paying off police, lawyers, judges.

Another potential flaw in the series. Does any else think at time Knight Rider was slightly sexist in the way women were protrayed?
Well, yes. But couldn't we also argue that it was sexist in the way it portrayed men? Michael is an overgrown child, reckless, only interested in fast cars, fast food, fast women. I think it's terrible how shallow and one-dimensional Michael Knight is and as a male I am offended by this stereotypical portrayal! (I kid, I kid.)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Physics and stunts aside... I felt myself cringing at weak plots, storylines, overacting (and not just by Hoff) and horrible dialogue and lines in a large amount of episodes.

luizel
Volunteer

Post by luizel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:38 pm

dont are missing the point. it wasn't a great show. but it was our show. which is why we are all here lol

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Judd wrote:Another potential flaw in the series. Does any else think at time Knight Rider was slightly sexist in the way women were protrayed? It isn't as bad as other shows of the time. I notice that many of the women characters are kind of bland damsal of the week types. Bonnie and April aren't. They were engineers, mechanics and scientists. There were other dynmanic women characters in the series also but at times the women were sterotypes.
This still goes on today but more in movies than tv shows. Look at all the superhero movies that are made based off the comic books with the hero always rescuing the girl ie Spiderman, Batman etc.

Horror films mainly focus on women being the ones that are off'd by a killer with a knife even though there is usually one woman who will fight the killer off at the end.

This sexism in entertainment has been going on for years and KR is just one small example.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stuntman Lee
Rookie

Post by Stuntman Lee » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:39 pm

The only thing that bugged me was that for most of the first series KITT's bonnet (hood) never seemed to be closed properly.

:kitt:
Love child of The Hoff.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Stuntman Lee wrote:The only thing that bugged me was that for most of the first series KITT's bonnet (hood) never seemed to be closed properly.

:kitt:
That was because they had this shell over the car to protect it during stunts and special effects.

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 pm

Judd wrote:TV physics is definately in play during the course of the series. Apart from that, this is something I noticed during my marathon.

The only thing I can say about this quote was that if Michael Knight attained information or had attained information, and then didn't keep the information, he would know that the trail would lean towards that individual Michael would be investigating and at some point, that individual being investigated would eventually slip up and leave evidence anyways for the police to pick up, wasn't that the whole point of the show, to assist law enforcement and protect the innocent in a world of criminals who operate above the law. :kitt: