Knight Rider Primetime Preview Goes Behind the Scenes

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider Primetime Preview Goes Behind the Scenes

Post by Sue » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:59 pm

Oooh! This looks cool, NBC is going to have a half hour special that will show some KR behind the scenes.

http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/showpa ... g-fal.html

...All those shows and only a half hour though… I can’t imagine they can fit too much KR in there.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Re: Half hour special with KR behind the scenes

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Sounds like somthing interesting to watch!
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:47 am

Well it’s not a half hour but it says primetime preview. I guess they cut out just the KR bit for us. Dag268 pointed this out to us in the chat but I don’t think he posted it here. I thought it odd how much they show the old vm. Guess they didn’t have enough new footage. There was one new scene in this I haven’t seen before though, and some nice computer graphics.
http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider/video/#mea=516866
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:07 am

wow, that was very nice... doesn't make me more excited for the new series though, as i'm already on the limit, counting days 'til Sept. 24th :mrgreen:
only thing that bothered me was the transformation to Attack Mode. i hope it was just Work In Progress, as it looked a little cheap and too CGI compared to all the other nice FX we've seen so far!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:45 am

Interesting... They edited that bit of dialog from what they used in the pilot, about the "urban legend" of the original KITT having the most advanced AI ever created, they left out the part about Charles Graiman building the car for Wilton Knight. I hope that's an indication of that being "fixed" though it might have just been for time and they just needed that part, though they did have a pause where it could have fit into. They also cut out KITT asking Mike if he was a homosexual but that's probably just to keep it "family friendly". Or maybe they edited it since it was rather redundant. >_>

I'm sure that was a work in progress because it looked way too fake to be the finished product. I'm sure this promo was probably mostly made a couple months ago, hence the lack of footage from the new series and then a little bit from the first series promo put in where they could.

Oh crap..... I thought the new Attack Mode actually looked sort of cool in the scene they showed. :shock:

The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:39 am

yeah, same here... shame on me, but i really start to like the Attack KITT. well at least i like it as much as Super Pursuit Mode KITT from the 80s, which i'm not so fond of but learned to accept.

neps
Site Administrator

Knight Rider Primetime Preview - EPK

Post by neps » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:31 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMS0PirLzxU

This ones source was only 320x240 - I have a 720x480 version that I'm downloading now. I'll post that as Quicktime MPEG4 for all to download when it completes. (in about an hour or so)

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Knight Rider Primetime Preview - EPK

Post by Matthew » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 am

Great stuff Neil, I can't wait to see it. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 am

I am watching and waiting!

WANT!

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Nice to see some of the lo-res renderings of the transformation sequences.

Kinda how they might have been done in the original - in 1985? :D

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Wow,

Whilst there is definitely a fair amount of old footage in there, I think it's safe to say that there is enough new footage to make the wait for the premiere next month even more tantalizing.

For me, of particular interest is the CGI transformation process. Whilst what they show here is very early in the process, it gives us a really good idea as to how they envision the vehicular changes, and whilst it seems like Transformers is most definitely the influence here, I think it can actually work, as long we get an explanation about the technology, like we got about the nanotech in the pilot.

The key will be for them to be able to convince our imaginations that this is possible, so fingers crossed, they can pull that off. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Matthew wrote: For me, of particular interest is the CGI transformation process. Whilst what they show here is very early in the process, it gives us a really good idea as to how they envision the vehicular changes, and whilst it seems like Transformers is most definitely the influence here, I think it can actually work, as long we get an explanation about the technology, like we got about the nanotech in the pilot.
I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's clearly an extension of the same technology that made the semi trailer bigger on the inside than on the outside. :)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:28 pm

:P Sue beat you to it Niel as the video is hosted on NBC.com too. Perhaps a merging is in order? Or if not I'll just copy and paste what I said in that on here. But certainly looking forward to the higher resolution version. :good:

Interesting... They edited that bit of dialog from what they used in the pilot, about the "urban legend" of the original KITT having the most advanced AI ever created, they left out the part about Charles Graiman building the car for Wilton Knight. I hope that's an indication of that being "fixed" though it might have just been for time and they just needed that part, though they did have a pause where it could have fit into. They also cut out KITT asking Mike if he was a homosexual but that's probably just to keep it "family friendly". Or maybe they edited it since it was rather redundant. >_>

I'm sure that was a work in progress because it looked way too fake to be the finished product. I'm sure this promo was probably mostly made a couple months ago, hence the lack of footage from the new series and then a little bit from the first series promo put in where they could.

Oh crap..... I thought the new Attack Mode actually looked sort of cool in the scene they showed. :shock:

The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:29 pm

Mango19 wrote:
Matthew wrote: For me, of particular interest is the CGI transformation process. Whilst what they show here is very early in the process, it gives us a really good idea as to how they envision the vehicular changes, and whilst it seems like Transformers is most definitely the influence here, I think it can actually work, as long we get an explanation about the technology, like we got about the nanotech in the pilot.
I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's clearly an extension of the same technology that made the semi trailer bigger on the inside than on the outside. :)

:lol: Yeah always was kind of funny how the semi always seemed so much roomier on the inside while on the outside there looked to barely be room to even open KITT's doors.

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:07 pm

The chat room was fun but by the time we all logged off I fell asleep. Thank you Sue for posting the link. :good:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Attack Kitt looks like he`s about to go and kick some serious ass!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:13 pm

Ooops two threads! Go post in this one guys and maybe we can merge them soon. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=1041&t=11921

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:14 pm

why do i get the feeling that KITT will end up turning into a bad guy or some nonsensible garbage :? :karr:

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Geeze, I haven't posted here in ages, but I just had to after I saw the new commercials for the series. I'm really excited about the show.

I was impressed with the new transforming abilities. It didn't bother me one bit that they're kind of Transformer-esque. I think it's better than how the double spoiler in the pilot just materialized out of thin air. And it's awesome that KITT can actually change into other vehicles now, instead of just changing his color.

I'm also curious to see more the of the new dash, though I don't think I'm all that crazy about the new HAL like vm. I do like Val's voice sounding more metallic though.

I can't wait for Sept. 24th. :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:44 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
Mango19 wrote: . . . technology that made the semi trailer bigger on the inside than on the outside.
Yeah, always was kind of funny how the semi always seemed so much roomier on the
inside while on the outside there looked to barely be room to even open KITT's doors.
So, that settles it then ... FLAG used Timelord technology! The Semi was effectively a TARDIS,
without time travel circuitry. Maybe Wilton Knight was actually from Gallifrey, but was too
ill to regenerate when he passed away in 1982. Perhaps Garthe Knight was The Master!

I'll get me coat!