Will an actors strike affect KR?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Will an actors strike affect KR?

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:32 am

The newest Variety article is predicting D day as July 8th.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111798 ... ors+strike
It looks like AFTRA is not yet out of the picture and SAG is stalling until they vote.
This last line of the article has me intrigued.
Hollywood production is expected to largely cease next week, except for indie features that have SAG waivers and a few TV pilots
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Will an actors strike affect KR?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:09 am

They (the actors) would be completely stupid to strike after what happened with the writers, they certainly won't have the sympathy factor due to the perception that it's the rich ones this is about. The other side would be even more so stupid to allow it to happen due to just what was lost in revinue on their end (not to mention the areas where filming takes place) with the last strike. It would shut everything down since you can't produce movies or TV without actors aside from reality TV which even still if there's any SAG members involved they won't be there either. Where as at least with the writers strike there were some scripts that were already written before it came about so there was still some work for awhile, though it certainly hurt some projects. I think they'll get it settled before the deadline though.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:00 pm

Hmmm, negotiations aren’t going too well..
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:00 am

"Production's mostly grinding to a halt next week after SAG's contract expires at 12:01 a.m. Tuesdsay, although the guild hasn't yet taken a strike authortization vote. Clooney noted a strike would mean "a great deal of harm" to actors, with agencies closing, TV pilots not getting made and more reality shows on the air." :cry:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:31 am

News of an imminent actors strike might simply be a SAG scare tactic.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:49 am

From what I've heard it takes 3 weeks to even get the strike ratification vote. So that means that TV Land has 3 more weeks at least before a strike would potentially happen. Lets just hope that if it does happen it doesn't go on nearly as long as the writers strike did.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:39 pm

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen. No good can come from it. All the networks need is another incentive to run more reality shows. The majority of SAG actors don't make a living from acting, so they have nothing to lose by voting to strike. It's everyone else that suffers, and the long-term health of scripted TV will be impacted at a time when viewership is shrinking and costs are rising, especially cast costs.

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:12 pm

according to the news released today, SAG is not planning on a actor's strike considering how the Writers strike all but crippled the Television and Movie studios. One show that survived was "Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles" and the Knight Rider pilot...I'm thinking that there won't be a writer's strike...we'll wait and see
Charles Edward Untz III

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:45 pm

SAG notified its members that its national negotiating committee and the congloms were continuing bargaining Monday and advised them that they should keep working after the expiration.
I’ll just keep posting them as I see them.

And thanks Shapeshifter for your input. As you say its not just people who work in the industry that will suffer, but also all the fans out there of shows such as KR who are all hoping to get back into some good scripted TV again.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:08 pm

Having two strikes so close together will bring nothing but harm to the industry. How bad did ratings drop once they came back from the first strike? They never recovered.

And it's not the big Actors/Producers that suffer, its the people trying to make a living.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:05 pm

neps wrote:Having two strikes so close together will bring nothing but harm to the industry. How bad did ratings drop once they came back from the first strike? They never recovered.

And it's not the big Actors/Producers that suffer, its the people trying to make a living.
Exactly.

"The sentiment is that people who are working don't want to go out. If there hadn't been a writers strike, there might be more support for (a SAG strike)," said a veteran talent rep who specializes in TV thesps. "Right now, there's too many people who are just desperate to get something going."

Indeed, while there's great skepticism about SAG's ability to rally actors for a full-blown work stoppage, there's no question the town is enduring the labor pains of a de facto strike because of the uncertainty.
In TV, however, Warner Bros. TV, 20th Century Fox TV, ABC Studios and others still recovering from the WGA strike-induced disruptions to the traditional series and pilot production cycle are sticking with plans to power through the summer, betting that there won't be a walkout.

Production execs say they'd rather run the risk of having to eat shutdown costs later in order to get as much work done as possible before the start of the 2008-09 season in September. There's also a cushion provided by the fact that SAG has yet to take a strike authorization vote, a process that would take at least two weeks to complete and require 75% approval of those voting.
Now they are saying two weeks to pass the strike authorization? I guess comicon is still in danger.
Here’s hoping they settle this soon. :|

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:34 pm

DigitalSpy reported yesterday that SAG has instructed its members to keep reporting for work and auditioning for new work despite the contract having expired. Doesn't exactly sound like a solid first step forward in organizing a work stoppage.

More likely, these claims of Hollywood being shut down are sleazy tactics on the part of the studios to try and sway public opinion against SAG.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:10 am

One union down only one to go.
AFTRA accepted their primetime deal, hopefully this will send a clear message to SAG that popular opinion is not behind a strike.
http://www.variety.com/VR1117988635.html