10 second commercial - in HD

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

10 second commercial - in HD

Post by neps » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:15 am

So I watched NBC all night - and they never aired the full :30 trailer :(

But they did air a 10 second version of it.

if you want it:

non hd:
http://shadowyflight.com/newnbc/10sec_207.mov

HD (9mb online for 24 hrs)
http://shadowyflight.com/newnbc/10sec_207_hd.mp4

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Re: 10 second commercial - in HD

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:04 am

Hmm, maybe it's just me but the HD version might be corrupt or just messed up. I tried the normal version and it played fine but the HD one gave me an error that said "Error -2048: Couldn't open the file 10sec_207_hd.mov because it is not a file that QuickTime understands." I tried VLC and the video stuck but I did have sound, maybe I'm having a codec issue, yeah probably... Was the same codec used for both versions but just at higher bitrate for the HD version or something different? The 30 second spot mp4 played fine for me, maybe it is a codec issue my PC does seem to hate mov files some times. I'll look into it after I get some sleep.

Thanks for the upload though, that's a good ten second teaser that keeps the crash stunt, that seems to be an attention grabber. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I just changed the extension to mp4 and it fixed the problem. Are you using a Mac? I know sometimes weird issues can pop up from video files made on one platform and moved to another or maybe still it's just a problem with my stupid computer. Also, is your HD source interlaced? I ask that because in some spots there were lines, at first I thought it was for "effect" but then it showed up in spots that wouldn't make sense for it to be so. Anyway, still cool stuff! :D :kitt2:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

poilala
Volunteer

Post by poilala » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:29 am

Wow, this is just great.
Cool videos (both of them), thanks a lot for the HD rips neps !

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks for the tip about the extension, I just changed it to mp4 to help everyone.

I believe NBC HD broadcasts in 1080i, so that would explain the interlacing. Did you experiencing interlacing on the other clips I've posted? I had to skip a conversion step with this one (in order to save the clip I had to find it in my dvr cache) - so it might explain the interlacing.

Neil

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:21 pm

Nah, just this one. Weird that it wouldn't show up all the way through it though... It's odd that it's not over the entire video, just the uhh "action" or something like that. The logo in the corner doesn't get affected, maybe because it wasn't in motion? I dunno. But no biggie. :mrgreen:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:57 pm

You can only notice the interlacing stripes when the picture - or better the objects in the picture - move with a certain speed, that's why the logo doesn't appear to be affected.

An interlaced picture is set together by two half frames. Every second stripe or line in the picture comes from frame A, the other ones from frame B. Imagine frame B is set some milliseconds later than frame A. When copied together and you have a fast moving scene, the B lines don't match the A lines that well anymore. If you have a slow paced scene or a freezed image, you wouldn't even notice it.
If you've got the chance, try to watch the trailer on an older CRT TV model and you will see that the picture appears to be normal (don't know if this also works on LCD or plasma TVs), since interlaced video was an old standard for those TVs.

I hope you could get any sense out of my explanation, since I'm German and I'm not too sure of my English qualities when it comes to explaining such technical details ;)

Anyway, this clip clearly is interlaced, the others are not, I can confirm that.