SciFi.com has new two-part video preview

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Mango19
Rookie

SciFi.com has new two-part video preview

Post by Mango19 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:55 am

Scifi.com has a new two-part video interview with the cast and the producer. I'll add the Dave Bartis (the producer) talks about turbo boost in the pilot:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
He definitively says it's not in the pilot, but lots of other stuff is. Poiter adds: "We have to save something for the series."
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 4&id=47690

Radicalas
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: SciFi.com has new two-part video preview

Post by Radicalas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 am

Thank you for information :) It's interesting to watch all those footages :)

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 am

It almost sounds like he's mocking the Turbo Boost when he talks about it by the way he says we won't be jumping over trucks with empty barrels on it.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks for finding this Mango19! I think each of the members have some respect for Turbo Boost - but think they felt the need to try something different first

justinbrueningnet
Operative

Post by justinbrueningnet » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks for posting this!

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Jep, thank you. Finally some confirmation regarding the turbo boost. The reason Poitier gives makes sense.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:00 pm

Well, it was predictably all the same tired old information again. If I hear them explain that it's a Shelby GT500KR that morphs one more time... :roll: The information about the turbo boosts is no surprise to me, as I called that one months ago. But at the same time, I really don't want to know more at this point until the telepic airs.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Not too surprising, hopefully they do get to it in the series and quickly.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:05 pm

*sigh*

I wanted Turbo Boost :cry:
You're right, Knight316, he does sound a bit condescending. "There will be no jumping over trucks of empty barrels."
...Okay, so howabout jump over a truck of full barrels, ass. :P
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm still pretty tight about this whole Turbo Boost thing too. Where do they get off not using it? Unacceptable. They can transform this car entirely but they cannot Turbo Boost it and Ski Mode it with CGI ??? This is a Pilot, with no series guaranteed for it, so why hold back? Wouldn't you want to hook the viewers into the pilot with something they EXPECT to see? I just don't get it. The original show would not have lasted if instead of turbo boost in the pilot the transformed it into super pursuit mode...............

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:40 am

If SPM had come first no one would have missed turbo boost and so yeah the show would've continued. Back then, even the fact the car had LED's was a "wow!" factor! The way it could drive itself, talk, do stunts, drive on two wheels etc etc, it was all brand new, never been seen before, turbo boost was only one more thing it could do in the pilot. I remember having arguments when I was a kid with my friends about which part of KITT we liked the most, some anwered turbo boost, but others also answered with his speed, his ski mode, that he was indestructible etc., so the kids today that will see it for the first time will be just the same.

Personally, I'm not too worried about there being no turbo boost. Come on, this is 2008! Having a constant stream of trucks drive out in front of KITT so he can use his turbo boost is seen as a big cliche now. Yes, a fun cliche when watching the original show, but that's part of the appeal, that you are watching an >>eighties<< show. These days, I don't think turbo boost would fit in right, and I think they're right to focus on a whole bunch of new abilities for KITT rather than focus on ones he used twenty years ago... after all, Charles Gaiman, when creating the THREE thousand isn't just gonna stick a bunch of twenty year old inventions inside a brand new Mustang and declare it a new car lol! :D He's gonna come from a different angle, see how the world has changed, and implement a whole bunch of new capabilities that the KITT of today would actually use, not the KITT of twenty years ago.
"I got better things to do tonight than die."

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:27 am

Why not? Are roadblocks a thing of the past? Or are they just going to have the car drive through everything? :roll: Or just get stuck. The idea on how it could be done really shouldn't fall out of the reign of possibility. Especially in a show that's a continuation of the original, it's still a step back.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 pm

True!!!!!!!!!!!!! it IS a step backwards, and if you have no turbo boost, certainly do not expect ski mode...... The car will probably turn invisible or melt into it's background like the alien creature in Predator....or some nonsense.

BTW.............How was Knight Rider 2000 without Turbo Boost....maybe the Mustang will float too, instead of jumping over the creek......

I can't wait for KITT to get stuck in his first traffic jam because he can't jump it.

knightendo_phil
Rookie

Post by knightendo_phil » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:20 pm

I hear toys being thrown out of prams lol - only joking guys. Seriously though, turbo boost isn't revolutionary anymore, and if KITT is in a traffic jam we just don't know what he is capable of yet. The interview put up today makes some very good points. I for one can't wait to see what KITT does and am fine with no turbo boost. They may bring it back, they've said so themselves, but first they need to prove what new things KITT can do. Relax and enjoy, that's what I say. Can't wait!
"I got better things to do tonight than die."

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:51 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Why not? Are roadblocks a thing of the past? Or are they just going to have the car drive through everything? :roll:
Well put, I agree. I'm not saying KITT won't "get by" knightendo, I'm not even saying the pilot will be bad. I just think its a dumb thing to leave out. I think the first thing people would mention about KITT - after talking - would be jumping.

Personally, my favorite stunt is Ski Mode, I would have loved to have seen more Skis in the show. But, truth be told, the ability to jump would have more uses than the ability to ride on two wheels (which I would argue is not cliché - you never see it).

But yes, if the new KITT simply powers right on through trucks "full of empty barrels" I guess he wouldn't need to jump. :roll:
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:12 pm

I expected the producers to substitute Turbo Boost for the shapeshifting pretty much ever since I first heard there was going to be shapeshifting. So it's not like the news about a lack of turbo boosts is a shock that caught me off-guard. However, I do have to admit that I honestly don't care if Turbo Boost is included or not. If I had a choice, I would choose to include it, but would use it sparingly for a climactic over-the-top scene, probably at the end of an episode as a big nod to the original fans.

There were times in the original series when I felt Turbo Boost was almost overused. And while it was no doubt fun as hell to watch as a kid, watching a scene like in "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R." where K.I.T.T. & K.A.R.R. turbo boost into each other, or K.I.T.T. turbo boosting from one rooftop to another, would be borderline laughable by today's standards. Perhaps in the cases where K.I.T.T. is stuck in a traffic jam, he'll change his colors to a police car and force everybody to move out of his way? Yes, I know that hardly sounds as exciting as leaping over a sea of cars, but it does feel more mature. I certainly viewed the original series a certain way the first time I remember watching it when I was about 4 years old, and needless to say I look at it a bit differently now. The turbo boosting reminds me of the fun I had when I was a child, but if the show premiered today, I might find myself yelling at the TV, "Oh, come on, now! Yeah, right!"
Kram061-1 wrote:This is a Pilot, with no series guaranteed for it, so why hold back? Wouldn't you want to hook the viewers into the pilot with something they EXPECT to see? I just don't get it. The original show would not have lasted if instead of turbo boost in the pilot the transformed it into super pursuit mode...............
You bring up a good point, Kram061-1, though I don't think I agree with you about the Super Pursuit Mode part. I think a lot of different "gimmicks" could have worked for the original Pilot instead of Turbo Boost; the trick would be in the build up and execution of it.

In regards to "holding back," a couple of reasons I can figure for this is because: A) a limited budget; B) a limited amount of Mustangs to use and not being able to afford junking any of them upon landings; and C) overconfidence that the lack of competition will guarantee high ratings and catapult the Pilot towards a series.

The part where the actors and producers talk about wanting to save it for the series is a load of crap, in my opinion, though. They didn't admit anything about Turbo Boost (or lack thereof) until they were asked, and even then it took a bit of pressing on the issue. Obviously, though, this was because it was one of the top asked questions and they probably didn't want to disappoint people if they didn't have to, which is understandable.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:18 am

as I said in another post, what does it take to do a single jump, as a climax to the show. I agree they beat Turbo Boost to death, but I find it more believable than a car changing it's shape :roll: ....I mean, either you could get a few older Mustangs and jump them, but then the nitpickers would try and enlarge the still on their computers to find the differences, or they could use a take-off ramp, and a landing ramp with several different camera angles, and just use a green screen to make the ramps disappear and superimpose the jump into an actual scene....it would look better probably, because you could actually see the car takeoff without hiding the ramps. And, as I have also said earlier, I hope they don't make the car do something REALLY, REALLY stupid, like take the appearance of the forest behind it, like in the Predator movies, or worse, turn invisible all together ..................

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:52 am

Well the concept of invisibility like how it was shown in the Predator (or Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2) is actually something that scientist and engineers are working on now and have been for years, it's all about the refracting/bending of light and guess what's behind it?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/ ... niform.htm

Old old article I know, so here's a little more recent one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... xnews.html

So it's completely plausible. :D Hell, I might be more surprised if they don't use it in the same vein as the original KITT's "Silent Mode". Now that would be a suitable and more advanced replacement.

As for Turbo Boost, I'd be greatly disappointed if it was completely left out when the show goes to series, it's not like they have to use it in almost every episode like the original show did or multiple times in the same episode and it can be easily explained. Hopefully they don't go overboard and abuse the whole shape shifting thing like that either. Hopefully all their "tricks" aren't just focused on nanotech.

I'm pretty sure it will make it to series and the writers strike might even be settled by the end of this week according to the link below. That's help it get off the ground and hopefully allow some shows to finally get back to work to finish the current season.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 759418bd9a

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:59 am

I agree it needs to introduce new "tricks" in order for the show to make it in modern times....If it was just jumps and driving on 2-wheels, well then that is the exact same stuff that was on the show in which was cancelled. SPM was a feeble attempt to save the show (my own opinion, it would have lasted if they'd gone to doing international mission around the world?).

I just feel that Turbo and Ski is a link to the past. To me, that was what killed KR2000, and although I never ever watched TKR, I assume that 'vehicle-wise' it killed that show too. I think on top of jumps and ski driving, another important link to the past, IF this should become a series, would be Michael Knight as a recurring role, ESPECIALLY, If he were to take on Devon Mile's old role....

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:00 pm

Also, I feel that CGI has come a long far way, since that pathetic car jump at the end of Gone in 60 Seconds. :lol:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Absolutely, doing CG enhanced turbo boosting should be easy enough to do and look pretty decent as long as the right people are working on the effect so that it still looks organic/realistic and not where you can easily pick up that it's CG or bad CG at that.. It really shouldn't be hard to do either.