Why does Knight Rider get so many chances?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why does Knight Rider get so many chances?

Post by neps » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:46 pm

Something crossed my mind today - and that is "Why does Knight Rider get so many chances?"

Think about it. The Movie and NBC film are the 4th and 5th attempt at returning Knight Rider.

We've had:
Knight Rider 2000
Knight Rider 2010 (doesn't really count - but they thought enough about KR to use the name)
TKR

And now:
NBC Knight Rider
Knight Rider Untitled Film

As much as we as fans complain about getting the short end of the stick - I can't think of many other series that have gotten the same respect to relaunch itself. Only Star Trek really has been successful at being raised from the dead. BSG was also successful in a established run - but there is no attempts to bring back other shows on nearly a multiple level as Knight Rider. Where are you're A-Team, Airwolf, Quantum Leap second chances? Dukes of Hazard comes close in matching the effort of Knight Rider, but they've all been failures as well.

So any guesses on why this is? I have my theories but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions first. What makes Knight Rider so special that for as much as it's laughed on and ridiculed, it's constantly given a second, third, fourth, fifth shots to bring back the magic?

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Re: Why does Knight Rider get so many chances?

Post by KITTfan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:49 pm

That's an interesting thought, my guess is that Knight Rider is after all really unique, one of a kind tv-series and many people secretly love the show even they may publicly make jokes about it. Look at the amount of new members in these last few days since the press release of the new Knight Rider, lots of newbies and many of them say they're actually a long time KR fans but decided to register only now with this new KR :) It shows that Knight Rider is still very popular and people want to see more Knight Rider episodes. I guess Hollywood knows this too since they've tried so many times bring Knight Rider back, they know people want to watch it and they know the ratings will be good and therefore it's good for their business.
As for why Knight Rider is so special... I really don't know... I guess it was a show where everything came together perfectly, perfect car for KITT, perfect actors for their roles, great storylines, good action and humour, some mystery and magic too, excellent music and intro and the viewers enjoyed very much watching Knight Rider.
I feel that the original Knight Rider was taken away too soon, it could've easily last at least one more season. I'm glad it's gotten so many attempts to come back and I'm glad for the latest 2 projects, looking very much forward seeing both of them :)

Many people, me included, like MacGyver tv-series too, his wit, knowledge, wisdom, ability to build things from the available material, his attitude against alcohol, unnecessary violence and guns. MacGyver got two (if I remember correct) movies after the series ended but surprisingly there hasn't been since any new movies or tv-series. I think now that the old tv-series are coming back, MacGyver would definetely deserve another go too.
Miami Vice was also very popular and groundbreaking tv-series in the 80's, it has many long time, diehard fans for example in miami-vice.org. Still, it has gotten only one movie which was made by the original creator Michael Mann and was released last year. To me this movie didn't feel at all like Miami Vice in the original tv-series, didn't like it as a Miami Vice but as a actionmovie it was pretty ok.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:11 pm

I'm going to say that although the basic premise is simple and sounds like a low-budget concept, the show was very innovative and unique. Something that could have been a complete piece of garbage in lesser hands was given a unique appeal that combined many elements together. Since the show was always supposed to have a car that's ahead of its time, the concept of a high-tech supercar can always apply to a new generation. That mysterious desert opening and the darker tone of Season 4 were a glimpse into the type of show that could be edgier and less cheesy as they years have gone by. The uniqueness of K.I.T.T. and the possibilities he presented (a lot of which became integrated into real-life cars) are too interesting to not imagine in a modern world. In fact, the more failures this franchise has, the more it motivates others to do it right and to do it their way. And I think that fact is the reason why so many attempts keep occurring. It's not something that should be very difficult to get right and yet everybody and every method has continued to fail. So ultimately, I think the real reason is that the characters and magic of the show have proven that it can be a successful franchise, and it almost feels criminal to leave it laying dormant forever.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Because they're still trying to get it "right" in my opinion and without the original creator's direct involvement, I don't believe they can do it and their record speaks for itself (excluding the backdoor pilot). The fans want Knight Rider back but they want it back in a way that feels like the way they remembered it.

=VK=

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:44 pm

Okay I'am probably going to ruffle a few peoples feathers with my view on this. But the only reason we are getting this latest recreation from Universal is because its their attempt to derail Glen's project. But I'am glad they are doing it anyways at least we are getting somthing to watch. :kitt:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:22 pm

I have an explanation which may not be all warm and fuzzy, but probably has some amount to truth to it: Knight Rider translates very well.

It's hard for American studios to sell many comedies and dramas overseas because they are very culture-dependent. Action-adventure is pretty universal. But Knight Rider also has an added bonus: when they dub most shows, you watch an American actor with a local-language voice. There is a certain degree of separation because it's obvious that the voice and body don't match. For foreign-language viewers, there are 2 people playing Michael Knight: Hasselhoff and whoever the voice is. But when they dub KITT, it's "real". There is only one KITT, the voice. And I think that makes a strong connection with the audience that other action shows can't match.

Team Knight Rider actually was a mild success overseas. Knight Rider 2010 was part of the "Action Pack", so it was treated more like a bad episode of a good series, at least as far as international marketing is concerned.

So although the American market has a fondness for the franchise, it certainly doesn't hurt that the overseas audience really enjoys talking cars.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:43 pm

I think it all comes down to the show's original premise. That "one man can make a difference". I think it hits the nail right on the head in so many areas that relate to a wide variety of people. The show has action, adventure, suspense, and best of all, heart. Not to mention, a really, really, really, kool car! :spmgo: :dash: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: 8)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:15 am

I think it has to be more than just the premise. MANY television shows have featured an individual going from town to righting wrongs. Yet they don't have as many incarnations as Knight Rider does.

Knight Rider is essentially a repackaging of The Six Million Dollar Man. That franchise spun off another show, three made-for-TV movies, and now a third struggling series. A feature film is in development limbo. But it makes sense that it has been redone so many times because up until this latest Bionic Woman, they have all been very successful. The Knight Rider reincarnations have been much less successful, yet they keep making more.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:46 am

I think also part of its charm, like a lot of shows of the time is that it wasn't the overly serious prime time drama crap that we've been subjected to for the last several years. If they can get it right and make a fun movie and a fun (but not campy) series out of it with out all the serious drama BS (which IMO is what, in part killed the new Bionic Woman series). The important word though is FUN! There's somethings from the old series that wouldn't work today and shouldn't be tried (the magic microwave transmitter being one) or even if they could, shouldn't. Hell, have drama but at least make it fun and not have every episode look and feel so damn depressing.

Knight Rider still gets chances, even though there hasn't been one in a very long time, because there's still a fan base for it and for it to be done right and for it to be done right I don't think necessarily requires the original creator on board, but just respect the source and don't do things that are going to piss off those core, loyal fans of the original. Even though I'm not a fan of the new Mustang KITT right now, at least I know that this isn't a remake/reboot and that car is taking the actual place of the original so I'm not nearly as annoyed about it as some others are.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:56 am

Because they're still trying to get it "right" in my opinion and without the original creator's direct involvement, I don't believe they can do it and their record speaks for itself (excluding the backdoor pilot). The fans want Knight Rider back but they want it back in a way that feels like the way they remembered it.
I don't think it's down to trying to get it right... I think it's a brand that is extremely valuable to them. The original series is still big in syndication, all around the world, and a new project will only increase the value of the earlier efforts to NBC/Universal. There will be new fans attracted to the new show, who may then become interested in the original and decide to pick them up on DVD (I wouldn't be surprised if an official TKR set is announced shortly). Not to mention all the kids that grew up watching the "classic" show are now coming to the age where they will have young children themselves, and can sit down to watch the new version with them.

I also don't think that the original creator's involvement is necessary to the success of any subsequent projects. Larson delivered a great script for the original pilot, and laid the groundwork for the series by overseeing the first half of the the first season, but to say that any new Knight Rider will fail without him is doing a huge disservice to all the other writers and producers that worked on the original series... Bob Foster, Rob Gilmer, Tom Greene, Gerald Sanford, Burton Armus, Janis Hendler, Richard Okie... all of whom delivered standout episodes and scenes and sequences that fans and casual viewers alike remember as "Knight Rider".
Knight Rider is essentially a repackaging of The Six Million Dollar Man
If you were to strip the concept right down, it was really a modernised "Lone Ranger"... crossed with elements of The Six Million Dollar Man and James Bond. I picked up a couple of Lone Ranger DVDs, and you'd be amazed at how similar the early scenes of the pilot episodes are (this is something I've been writing up for my site for ages, and it fascinates me). It looks like, love it or hate it, this new attempt is going back to those roots.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 am

It has to be the interest of the viewers for the most part. How many web sites have fans that have a continued interest in any TV show? Also look at how many KITTs have been built.

Knight Rider gave us what we loved to see and still crave to have more of.
Action
High Tech
Fast and sporty car
Fighting crime and terrorism

The original Knight Rider has what we loved and still crave.... just look at how many people that watch the reruns for the first time. How many fans are on this board that weren't born or were too young when the show first came out?

Some shows had spin offs (like All in the Family), but with a show like Knight Rider you either have to try and continue the story line (like Star Trek) or re-create it.

Knight Rider still has a market in it, but it doesn't mean someone can take the name & show and do something great with it.

Duster
Rookie

Post by Duster » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi everbody! I'm one of the typical 'long time reader, first time poster'. I'm reading on this board for months now, so I have been up to date with most of the discussions here.
Oh by the way, I'm from Germany. So please excuse me if my english isn't perfect. Anyway, I'm looking forward to discuss the latest news on KR with you all.
Nelson B wrote:Okay I'am probably going to ruffle a few peoples feathers with my view on this. But the only reason we are getting this latest recreation from Universal is because its their attempt to derail Glen's project. But I'am glad they are doing it anyways at least we are getting somthing to watch. :kitt:
With my first post I want to react to all the statements like the one I quoted from Nelson B. It may be true that NBC's decision to produce a new Knight Rider series has something to do with Glen Larson's plans for a KR movie, but I believe the people that are currently working on the pilot don't have any bad intentions. I believe they are trying to do their best to get a really good pilot on the air that honors the original series instead of just ripping it off. Thus I want to give it a fair chance. I recall some statements that said the new series or it's pilot was a very rushed thing only to derail Glen's project and therefore it is doomed to fail from the beginning.
I bet the creative people behind it - and the actors (I'm thinking abour Bruenings statements here) - are very passionate about it and will (hopefully) deliver a piece of quality.

That said, I am looking forward to both projects and wish them both the success they deserve.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:27 pm

If you were to strip the concept right down, it was really a modernised "Lone Ranger"... crossed with elements of The Six Million Dollar Man and James Bond. I picked up a couple of Lone Ranger DVDs, and you'd be amazed at how similar the early scenes of the pilot episodes are (this is something I've been writing up for my site for ages, and it fascinates me). It looks like, love it or hate it, this new attempt is going back to those roots.
I can really see the comparisons there to the Lone Ranger; KITT is Michael's Silver... Never looked at it that way before, but good analogy. :D

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Of course the people working on the NBCU backdoor pilot are passionate about making the television movie because you're getting PAID to do it whether it succeeds or fails and they're not going to tell reporters and press how they really feel about the project if it's negative, they'll always praise whatever they're working on regardless and make it appear to be the next best thing...until something else comes along that's better or it gets cancelled.

That's how marketing works.

=VK=

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:59 pm

I have to also disagree with Victor on the point that an attempt at reincarnation is doomed to fail without the original creator at the helm. Again, look at the many series of Star Trek that did not have the benefit of Gene Roddenberry's input and pretty much all of them went on to become extremely popular or successful. Or look at other series such as Smallville, any Disney project (TV or film), Frasier, The Facts of Life or Stargate: Atlantis (it has one of it's 2 original creators on board). It's naive and foolish to think that the NBCU Knight Rider series can't and won't succeed. What it really will boil down to is will the series appeal to people and attract a loyal audience.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:06 pm

victor kros wrote:Of course the people working on the NBCU backdoor pilot are passionate about making the television movie because you're getting PAID to do it whether it succeeds or fails and they're not going to tell reporters and press how they really feel about the project if it's negative, they'll always praise whatever they're working on regardless and make it appear to be the next best thing...until something else comes along that's better or it gets cancelled.

=VK=
On the same token, the producers and actors involved could be telling the truth and really are making a quality product (or at least they believe they are). While I'm not disagreeing with what you said because it's true, I am saying that it also implies that the production crews of movies/series are always withholding how they really feel about their work.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:21 am

KFCreator
I have to also disagree with Victor on the point that an attempt at reincarnation is doomed to fail without the original creator at the helm. Again, look at the many series of Star Trek that did not have the benefit of Gene Roddenberry's input and pretty much all of them went on to become extremely popular or successful. Or look at other series such as Smallville, any Disney project (TV or film), Frasier, The Facts of Life or Stargate: Atlantis (it has one of it's 2 original creators on board). It's naive and foolish to think that the NBCU Knight Rider series can't and won't succeed. What it really will boil down to is will the series appeal to people and attract a loyal audience.
With all due respect do not open up this can of worms. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that because with comparisons like Star Trek and Disney you're setting yourself up for disaster. In my opinion you are naive and foolish to use these examples as support for your disagreement.

=VK=

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:29 am

Stargazer wrote:It has to be the interest of the viewers for the most part. How many web sites have fans that have a continued interest in any TV show? Also look at how many KITTs have been built.

Knight Rider gave us what we loved to see and still crave to have more of.
Action
High Tech
Fast and sporty car
Fighting crime and terrorism

The original Knight Rider has what we loved and still crave.... just look at how many people that watch the reruns for the first time. How many fans are on this board that weren't born or were too young when the show first came out?
/b]

Very good point Stargazer. I was born in 91' so I wasn't around when the series was made. And when I first watched it, it grew on me. I couldn't believe the show was made in 82'. I have realized how older TV series and movies have a lot more quality to them than ones of today.

I have just began to watch the six million dollar man series as a friend of mine (Aussie.KITT) gave me series 1 on DVD and I think its great!

While watching I can see some things that I have seen in Knight Rider. When Steve Austin wakes up after the operation, it reminds me of Michael after he had the cosmetic surgery to his face.

Friends at school took an interest in making a short film with me which I have uploaded to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jamesh1991

I hope the new movie and TV series are successful, all these unsuccessful attempts to "reboot" Knight Rider have just not found the right mix for the new show. I think this time it might be different!
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:16 am

don't trust nbc they are the real network 23

they have just canceled Crossing Jordan and Journeyman due their bankrupt policies.
six sigma does not work for tv

even if knight rider does air on nbc it wont last one season due to nbc's liberalism
they don't care what we think :kitt:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:36 am

While I'm rather pissed and disappointed with the cancelation of Journeyman, that can be said about all of the networks as they've all given up on good shows. At least they didn't go ahead with Knight Rider 2000 after the awful movie. I still don't get why they didn't paint the car black, especially after I first found out (and forgot about until I looked it up again) it was a Dodge Stealth that was modified to resemble the Banshee. Maybe they wanted to separate the look from KITT, though that's stupid.

Thinking about it more, I don't see how two failed TV programs (not counting KR2010 since it had nothing to do with Knight Rider at all) makes it seem like it's had "so many chances".
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:40 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:While I'm rather pissed and disappointed with the cancelation of Journeyman, that can be said about all of the networks as they've all given up on good shows. At least they didn't go ahead with Knight Rider 2000 after the awful movie. I still don't get why they didn't paint the car black, especially after I first found out (and forgot about until I looked it up again) it was a Dodge Stealth that was modified to resemble the Banshee. Maybe they wanted to separate the look from KITT, though that's stupid.

Thinking about it more, I don't see how two failed TV programs (not counting KR2010 since it had nothing to do with Knight Rider at all) makes it seem like it's had "so many chances".
Its off the topic, however I think they painted the car red because the Dodge Stealth was originally red.

For whatever reason they added salt to the wound by painting the roof black.

I also did not care for the KIFT vehicle as it was front wheel drive and making it the Knight Industries Four Thousand.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:17 am

victor kros wrote:KFCreator
With all due respect do not open up this can of worms. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that because with comparisons like Star Trek and Disney you're setting yourself up for disaster. In my opinion you are naive and foolish to use these examples as support for your disagreement.

=VK=
Well how about movies like Batman Begins that restarted a new franchise and became a huge hit while not having the orginal director (Burton) by their side?

PS Lookin Forward to The Dark Knight! :P

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:21 am

victor kros wrote:Of course the people working on the NBCU backdoor pilot are passionate about making the television movie because you're getting PAID to do it whether it succeeds or fails and they're not going to tell reporters and press how they really feel about the project if it's negative, they'll always praise whatever they're working on regardless and make it appear to be the next best thing...until something else comes along that's better or it gets cancelled.

=VK=
Since I doubt you actually know anyone working on the pilot, let me share the views of someone who actually does. Yes, professionals do get paid for what they do. That doesn't mean they're not sincerely passionate about it. The people I know working on KR08 are intelligent, hard working, and absolutely dedicated to making the best show they can. They are genuinely excited about it, and will do everything they can to make it succeed. And yes, if it doesn't work out, they will move on to something else. That's what professionals do.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:50 pm

the new knight rider might get great ratings nbc but when i mentioned crossing jordan (it ran for 6 seasons, ) and journeyman before i was trying to prove a point that they will do business as usual, by setting a successful show for failure by screwing the timeslot to another night that it wont do well to compete with other networks. like what happened to "knight rider, quantum Leap, and crossing jordan which had good ratings" , obviously nbc executives don't listen to their audience.

in the future NBC will become just as intolerant of scifi as ABC is today and that is why star trek has not been back on abc since 1969

i want you to look up "six sigma" which nbc follows to letter and find out why this is a bad idea for tv.
Last edited by CJaguar442 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save the Clocktower!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:52 pm

i hope the new show will do 100 episodes that the old show never got a chance to do. all we can do is pray and hope.
Save the Clocktower!