KR merch in Hot Topic???

Archive for discussions from 2007. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Rider items in Hot Topic?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:05 am

HELL YES!!!
100%
EWWW!
No votes

Total votes: 5

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KR merch in Hot Topic???

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:05 am

I realize that some people consider Hot Topic to be a poser store,
but lately they've made some really cool changes (such as selling
Dir en Grey stuff, and Jrock magazines) anyways my question is -
How would you feel if Hot Topic started selling KR shirts? And I don't
mean the poor quality "flakes off after 4 washes" crap like what I
got at Gadzook's back in 2001. I mean a good, silkscreened shirt
with either KITT or KARR on it - Preferably on BLACK cotton fabric.

They already listened to me about Tails and Diru.
http://blazefox.livejournal.com/133485.html
All they gotta know is there's a MARKET for it
and I'm sure they would start selling KR shirts.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:57 am

Poser store, Indeed.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:10 am

Hot topic is about the only store that would sell such stuff.. like they did back in '01

A few exceptions would exist at female places like Forever 21 (which is technically gadzooks), but that'd be on female baby-t's that I wear.

I don't understand the concept of poser.. who gives a poo? And it's not like they sell as much goth gear as they used to. It's gotten alot more commericalized once the Gap bought'em.

Their stuff is horribly overpriced though. $19 for a baby-t, but $14 for a t-shirt? wth?

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:09 am

Well, that place sure does like it's pitch black...

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Kitzira wrote:Their stuff is horribly overpriced though.
Yeah, but when you're getting them to sell a japanese CD that's usually $40, for only $14 in their store? That ain't over-priced, that's CHEAP. Btw, Kitzira, since yew is teh furreh, like moi... might you possibly like Tails?

http://blazefox.livejournal.com/130264.html#cutid1

And I sent a couple shirt ideas to Maria Scarlett (of Hot Topic) HT's been doing a line of game intro shirts, so I thought it'd be cool if they made some shirts of the intro screens from the KR NES and TG16 games.

http://pics.livejournal.com/blazefox/gallery/0002px1g

And as for the poser thing, I just don't wanna hear anyone be like
"ewww, Hot Topic has KR stuff now? Hmm, its not cool anymore *dropz like rock*"

http://www.tofurecords.com/forum/v3/vie ... sc&start=0

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:07 pm

I was under the impression that Hot Topic had already carried KR shirts. About 4 years ago, people were saying they picked up KR shirts there. They weren't in the Hot Topic stores in my area, but I guess some outlets had them.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:42 pm

Indeed. I could see some classic KR game screens being silk screened on some T's.

In fact, they have this special ink jet, iron on transfer paper for sale at higher end computer and office supply shops which make doing your own shirt pictures very easy. (Well...sort of. You need an iron, a silk pillow cover, a sturdy ironing surface that isn't an ironing board, the ability to press down at 50 PSI, (isn't anywhere near as much as it sounds) PC, ability to reverse a photo, proper printer, clock, blank T-Shirt...maybe a couple other things...and around $35 to invest into the project. So...*easy* is a relative term.) I highly presume that copyrights on these such old games, nobody actually cares about.

Fellow furry fan,

jup-reindeer

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:01 pm

Ooooh, I remember going into Hot Topic and noticing they had Dukes of Hazzard T-shirts (and a demented soul who announced that fact perhaps 13 times in a VERY LOUD voice) but no KR. I found that rather disappointing.

Of course, I hardly ever set foot in HT anyway, but if they had KR shirts.. maybe...
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

I nevr saw any, but then again...

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:35 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I was under the impression that Hot Topic had already carried KR shirts. About 4 years ago.
If they DID at one point have KR shirts in HT, I never saw 'em, but then again... I didn't escape Ironton OH until 2002, and they didn't have HT's in my crappy hometown, there was only Spencer's and Gadzook's (which was where I got my *died in 4 washes* KR shirt) and those were it. I didn't even know HT existed until I moved out to WA. And if that IS true about the game screencaps being too old for anyone to scream infringement about, then that kicks @ss. And the way HT is going now, its getting to be a better store with things people ACTUALLY want. I too am very annoyed that EVERY Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, JC Pennies, and Suncoast has Dukes of Hazzard crap, but no Knight Rider stuff at all.
Last edited by Kitsune_Baka on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:18 am

I'd like to find *any* shirts with KARR on it.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

Seconded.

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:45 am

FuzzieDice wrote:I'd like to find *any* shirts with KARR on it.
As would I, since KARR is my favorite. Email - mcomfort@hottopic.com

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:20 pm

I was in Hot Topic yesterday. They had a "It's getting Hoff in here" T shirt.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Kitzira wrote:Hot topic is about the only store that would sell such stuff.. like they did backTheir stuff is horribly overpriced though. $19 for a baby-t, but $14 for a t-shirt? wth?
Probably also related to being bought by Gap...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:12 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:I was in Hot Topic yesterday. They had a "It's getting Hoff in here" T shirt.
*snorts water up her nose* Dude, can you warn somebody before you do that?
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

So yeah, I sent this discussion to some Hot Topic folks...

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:30 am

http://pics.livejournal.com/blazefox/pic/0002q3s9

I sent an email to every Hot Topic person I have addies for (Cindy, Derrick, Maria Comfort, Maria Scarlett, and Missy Davis Jones) and included a link to this discussion along with some ideas for merchandise and made sure to indicate that KR stuff is rare and awesome, and Dukes stuff is as common/boring as Wal-Mart. Whether or not they actually read my email is something to be seen, but so far they've listened to me about alotta stuff, and I'm really happy about that. Makes me feel worth something.

Go to your local HT and bug them to sell KR stuff IN PERSON, HT actually pays its employees bonus for gathering info on what is popular with their customers, what they're listening to and what they're wearing n' such. Tell the person working the counter to email their higher ups and get KR stuff onto HT's shelves, and while you're at it, check out Dir en Grey and maybe get the new Family Values Tour DVD which has DeG in it. If you like Rammstein, or Manson, or NIN, you'll like Dir en Grey.

Its rather comical to me that when they did their Code of Vulgar[ism] tour they had a huge light bar behind them that flashed back n' forth just like KITT's scanner, I'm SO tempted to make a video of it with the scanner noise in the background just to be goofy. Suprised someone on Youtube hasn't already made such a joke. I <3 Diru ^___^ I'm such a weaboo, ne?

BTW, if you wanna know why the addies are wiped out in the screencap (and I did the cap cuz I wasn't gunna re-paste it all here to clutter up the board) its because I found out they don't particularly like me giving their addies out over message boards cuz then anti-HT jerks spam them with hate mail. Alotta people lable HT and the people that shop there "posers" I actually like the store though, cuz they sell some nifty things (albeit at high prices) from my childhood. The only thing I actually dislike about them is the over-abundance of AFI/MCR/RJSA emo crap there. I'd rather they carry more Japanese stuff and possibly some junk that would appeal to furries ( they have Tails stuff now, I kept bugging them till they added it, lol ^^;;;; )

The people I've talk to are actually quite nice and open-minded.
Last edited by Kitsune_Baka on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 am, edited 10 times in total.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

KARR stuff.

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:43 am

FuzzieDice wrote:I'd like to find *any* shirts with KARR on it.
Oh yeah, that reminds me...

I actually sent Cindy a suggestion for a KARR shirt.
"I'm not evil, I'm just programmed that way!"
Kind of a take on what's her face's quote from Cool World.
Or was it Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Crap, my memory sucks.
Btw, this is Chris Morrow/BlazeFox from YEARS ago.
I'm just now getting back into KR fandom again, lol.
I made a YTMND.... lol - http://fireitup.ytmnd.com/
Last edited by Kitsune_Baka on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:53 am, edited 7 times in total.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

Silkscreen is the way to go.

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:51 am

jup wrote:In fact, they have this special ink jet, iron on transfer paper for sale at higher end computer and office supply shops which make doing your own shirt pictures very easy. (Well...sort of. You need an iron, a silk pillow cover, a sturdy ironing surface that isn't an ironing board, the ability to press down at 50 PSI). PC, ability to reverse a photo, proper printer, clock, blank T-Shirt...maybe a couple other things...and around $35 to invest into the project. So...*easy* is a relative term.)

Fellow furry fan,

jup-reindeer
Y'mean those junky transfer sheets? Meh... if I was gunna make something myself I'd do it on Cafe Press since they finally added black shirts now, but I don't really know how to work Cafe Press (I did however, have a friend who made a shirt of my furry character for me on her Cafe Press page) - I'd rather have a good silkscreen. Something that isn't gunna peel or flake after a few times in the washing machine. If we could actually convince HT to make the 8-bit KR game screencap shirts (or anything KR related period, like fabric wristbands with KITT's voice modulator on 'em) that would just pwnz0rz to hell n' back.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

He... mispelled... Knight Rider... T_T

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:00 am

Chris,

In regards to your question about Night Rider. We actually tested this property about 6 months ago. It did not test well. The big thing there is that our core customers were born in the 90's. Our meat of customers are from 14-17 yrs old. That would put the customers being born in 1990. Night Rider was an 80's show. It just appears to be too old. We have carried that property back in 2000.

Thank you for your input.
-Derrick Baca
-Hot Topic

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Much as I like the guy, he could ATLEAST spell it right. And, 90's kids?? Uhhh... then what's with the Care Bears / Strawberry Shortcake / Rainbow Bright / 8-bit NINTENDO / Dark Crystal stuff? Jeeze man... I remember those "Boys don't have wings" shirts they sold for a while, Dark Crystal is 10x more obscure and lesser known than KR is. I hadn't seen that movie since I was like, 5. Fine, they wanna appeal to 90's kids? Where's their SNES pad wallets and Secret of Mana t-shirts?
Last edited by Kitsune_Baka on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:33 am

From her email about the 90s.. I would almost say that they're considering a trend change to 90s pop-culture..

but 14-17 age range? wow.. most I see in there are 16-21 age area. I dunno what 14 year old could get their parents in that place to purchase stuff. Whenever I wanted to browse, my mom sat outside of the store, waiting on me.

I'm not surprised that the J-rock stuff didn't sell well... alot of ppl just don't like it enough. I haven't heard any of Dir en Grey's stuff in any anime, therefore I have no want to search for their sound. Most ppl are like me, they hafta be forced to hear it on tv or radio or a friend before they'll search for it.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Re: Okay... this makes me cry.

Post by snafu » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:16 pm

[quote="Kitsune_BakaIn regards to your other question about Night Rider. We actually tested this property about 6 months ago. It did not test well. The big thing there is that our core customers were born in the 90's. Our meat of customers are from 14-17 yrs old. That would put the customers being born in 1990. Night Rider was an 80's show. It just appears to be too old. We have carried that property back in 2000.

Thank you for your input.
-Derrick Baca
-Hot Topic

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Much as I like the guy, he could AT LEAST spell it right. And, 90's kids?? Uhhh... then what's with the Care Bears/Strawberry Shortcake/ Rainbow Bright, NINTENDO, Dark Crystal stuff? Jeeze man... I remember those "Boys don't have wings" shirts they sold for a while, Dark Crystal is 10x more obscure and lesser known than KR is. I hadn't seen that movie since I was like, 5. Fine, they wanna appeal to 90's kids? Where's their SNES pad wallets and Secret of Mana t-shirts?[/quote]

I know a lot of 90's kids that love 80's TV and hell, 80's style. Perhaps they should actually talk with these "90's Kids" before they go spouting off like that.
Ditto on the misspelling. Totally uncool.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:33 am

Kitzira wrote:From her email about the 90s.. I would almost say that they're considering a trend change to 90s pop-culture.. but 14-17 age range? wow.. most I see in there are 16-21 age area. I dunno what 14 year old could get their parents in that place to purchase stuff. Whenever I wanted to browse, my mom sat outside of the store, waiting on me.
But, its ONLY 2007... 90's won't be the "in thing" until 2010.
We should still have 3 more years of 80's retro flashback left, ne?
If you wanna hear some DeG - http://www.myspace.com/blazefoxkitsune
Btw, Derrick's a guy, Cindy Levitt is the girl I emailed suggestions to.
I wish DBaca would actually come READ this thread... Hot Topic needs
to try a more hands on personal approach with its consumers. >_<

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:41 pm

I guess when they talk about marketing, it's just things that would sell well. For example, they for the most part sell mainstream merchandise. Like that horrible overrrated band Slipknot. All these kids who think it's true metal and would die for that band rush to the nearest Hot Topic to purchase all of their merch. Hell they'd even pick up a pair of Tripps to complete the "Metal" look. And to the Hot Topic executives, they dont care. They want to make huge profits so they'd sell to the most popular market.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

Arrrgh...

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:40 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:I guess when they talk about marketing, it's just things that would sell well. For example, they for the most part sell mainstream merchandise. Like that horrible overrrated band Slipknot.
Blah... but they usually carry underground stuff as well, like MSI, Bloodbrothers, Crushadows, VNV Nation and I was very happy when I got them to carry DIR EN GREY (whom totally pwn the crap out of Slipknot by the way, but then again... its not that hard to do). Oh yeah, Tripp pants... LOL... sorry but I'm not paying $70 for a pair of pants just because it has a huge clunky lock with chains that'd BREAK any washing machine and some colored rubber O-rings. Looks nice, but not worth $70.

I always snatch up their Clearance stuff. That's usually what happens to anything they get that ends up not selling well, they drop the price to like... $8 and hope people buy it just cuz its cheap, not because they actually like whatever it is. And I still don't get why they think its ONLY the 14-17 year olds shopping at their store. They sell stuff in there most 14 year olds wouldn't be able to remember, like the Nintendo stuff. If they're gunna go 90's, they need Secret of Mana shirts.

Well anyways, I really wanna try and start a Cafe Press page or something since its obvious Hot Topic aren't gunna listen to me on this one. I'd appreciate some help since I dunno squat about CafePress. All I know is that they started doing black shirts, and I wanna make a black shirt of the NES and TG16 Knight Rider game screen-caps...

http://pics.livejournal.com/blazefox/gallery/0002px1g

I also made alot of my own personal designs. Alot of them being about Emulation ^^

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r243 ... %20design/

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:27 pm

the gent at hot topic should brush up on spelling....

So to the person of Hot Topic...Sir, its "K-N-I-G-H-T R-I-D-E-R"

a okay store dfor us Rockers but bring on some ladies (20+yrs ) for the afternoon/eve shift-mon tues,wed...
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Kitsune_Baka
Recruit

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!1111one

Post by Kitsune_Baka » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:56 am

T.A.H.O.E. wrote:the gent at hot topic should brush up on spelling....

So to the person of Hot Topic...Sir, its "K-N-I-G-H-T R-I-D-E-R"

a okay store dfor us Rockers but bring on some ladies (20+yrs ) for the afternoon/eve shift-mon tues,wed...
Hey guys, HT now has a "Live Customer Service Chat"
Go here and give your opinion about KNIGHT RIDER merchandise.
http://community.hottopic.com/customers ... ervice.asp

If enough of you talk to them and they see that there are still people out there who LIKE Knight Rider and want merch related to it (like a fabric wristband of KITT's red LED voicebox) they will probably make and sell it...

BUT BE POLITE!!!