The Weinstein Co. - Let's Bombard Them With Letters

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

md_knight_rider
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The Weinstein Co. - Let's Bombard Them With Letters

Post by md_knight_rider » Wed May 17, 2006 9:21 am

I checked out the Weinstein Company's website at http://www.weinsteinco.com to try to find contact information and all they have is a mailing address. I'm willing to spend the 39 cents to voice my opinion. To me it's important for the original to return (David Hasselhoff) I liked the rumors that I heard about him returning but taking Devon's place as Director, and using a third gen KITT but upgrading that through the movie. I think if we bombard them with letters they'll understand that there are still fans of the original out here and they have to cater to us as well because we are the one that want to see the movie. We're bringing the money. So let's do it. So if you're with me, then here's their mailing address;

The Weinstein Company
c/o Ethan Noble
345 Hudson St. 13th Floor
New York, NY 10014

MD Knight Rider
Director - The Mid-Atlantic Knight Riders' Summit

http://www.mdknightrider.com

I project odds of a thousand to one against my meeting a more compatible human than yourself.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed May 17, 2006 11:24 am

Here's the problem... Although I'm sure all of us are thrilled to see the movie going forward, we're not united with what the movie should be like. Half of us want to see KITT in a new vehicle (with maybe a cameo of the old Trans Am). The other half are absolutely convinced that KITT should stay the way he is.

Some people want the movie to be a continuation of the series, with Hasselhoff in the Devon role. Some want Hasselhoff to stay behind the wheel as KITT's only driver. Some want the movie to be a new origin story, which would make it difficult to cast Hasselhoff.

Letters won't be effective if they are sending conflicting messages. And one of the worst things that can happen to a movie is have it try to cater to too many people. It's a leap of faith, but I think we have to trust Larson.

Write your letters. But I believe they will be much more effective simply showing your support for the project, rather than telling them what they "need" to do.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:46 pm

I agree with Michael on this. How can we organize when we all can't agree with certain things? I mean, look at me for an example. I'd love to see KITT in his original Trans-Am state, but logically that body would be hurtful in him appearing to blend into normal traffic in this day and age(trust me, how many 1982-1985 Trans-Ams do you see on the road and when you do see them, do you watch it as it drives by?). If you recall, half of the jokes in the show related to how people thought KITT was just another car (look at the first half of the pilot episode, where the car thieves are trying to constantly break into KITT by normal means).

You see? Michael is right. Some may agree on certain things, but there are those that are dead set on KITT being a 1982 Trans-Am. So, unless we can put our differences in opinion aside, there's nothing we can do about it.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Thu May 18, 2006 2:30 pm

Yeah I say Support the movie. You never know you might even like it!
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Thu May 18, 2006 11:10 pm

Should we pool our collective thoughts on what the movie should be like then? Then draft a generic letter for those people who support it to send to Weinstein Co. Admittedly this won't stop people from modifying it and adding their individual thoughts, but the more letters they get based along similar lines then a greater chance of us getting what we'd like to see..

Ad's

Zeron Hitaro
Volunteer

Post by Zeron Hitaro » Thu May 18, 2006 11:24 pm

Sounds good. Just off the top of my head I can think of two points we can all agree on.

1. David Hasselhoff should be in the movie, weither it be a major role like leading FLAG in Devon's place or a simple cameo role.

2. K.I.T.T needs to talk, preferably with the original voice actor.

Any others?

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:56 am

If David can't star as Michael Knight being either Devon's replacement or in the lead as always then id rather He not be in the film at all. Cameo's to me are insulting. If he's not good enough to star in it why should he be reduced to an inside joke.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Sun May 21, 2006 1:47 pm

Im with you on the letter. We should all write! I agree with the two points David Hasselhoff in the movie with a large role and KITT with the original voice. If they really dont want to use the black transam, so be it, but if its a recreation of the original series they SHOULD use it. Wouldnt everyone just love to see what they could do with todays technology in the film??? But is Knight Rider really Knight Rider without KITT the black transam? (And for myself David as Michael :D )
Carmen

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 pm

how about no...as in dont be pains in thier asses.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Sun May 21, 2006 7:53 pm

Well, that's your opinion. :x

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun May 21, 2006 9:24 pm

I have to say I'm against the "group letter" idea, at least as it is proposed here.

We have been debating the Knight Rider movie on the internet for at least 5 years, probably 10. It's one of the oldest discussion topics out there, and it usually starts: "If they made a Knight Rider movie, who would you cast in it?" And that lead to a lot of good discussions about what role Hasselhoff would have in the film, what kind of car KITT would be, the tone, etc. And in those many years of discussions, thankfully we've stayed diverse enough that we've never agreed on most things.

In order to put together a letter we could all agree on, there would have to be compromises. And normally, compromise is good. But when it comes to good storytelling, time and time again movies and TV series are ruined by having too many people putting forward ideas and making compromises. The best projects come from someone with a single vision, who is given the authority to make that vision possible.

I fully encourage people to send letters showing support for the new movie. But I don't think telling them what they "need to do" is the right way to go about it. With one exception: if we confirm that Hasselhoff is NOT involved with the movie at all (which is all just pure speculation at this point), then as fans we may want to politely encourage them to reconsider. We just don't want to micro-manage the project.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun May 21, 2006 10:11 pm

If I had the time to pen such a letter, I'd tell them congratulations and that I'm very much looking foward to the new Knight Rider movie. I would remenisce on what I used to like in the TV show. Like "I remember how much I loved (and still love) the old show. I remembered thinking KITT was the hottest thing on wheels. I loved the modified Trans Am and dart-shaped nose, his scanner. I loved KITT's voice and the things he said. I loved KARR as well. I remember enjoying KITT vs. KARR the most. I enjoyed the program so much that I'm very excited now that Knight Rider is coming to the big screen. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!"

Something like that... Not telling them what should be in the show, but telling them WHY you enjoyed Knight Rider so much and that would be reason enough to be excited that you'll see Knight Rider once again! And on the big screen yet! :)

This way, they aren't obligated to please all the fans, so to speak, but they'll get an idea what made Knight Rider memorable for the fans and maybe they and Glen Larson may even use that as a guide to making the new movie.

You never know... there just might be something for everyone in that movie. :) I think they'll pull it off. I like to think we'll all come away from the movie saying "WOW! That's the best Knight Rider fix I've had yet!" :)

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Sun May 21, 2006 10:15 pm

I think Mike's suggestion is the best one for everybody. Write in and show your support, but don't try to offer too many suggestions.

Chances are they won't use them anyway, for fear of the "That was my idea!" lawsuit.

Seriously guys, just show your support and don't backseat drive.
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Mon May 22, 2006 1:37 am

Well, I only can say, that I am against the the movie, because it seems that the deal was unfair. If David approved the remaking of the series, he would has made his comments and we would have knew about his role in the project. Apparently, David lost a lot with this deal: a good part in a big screen movie, money, maybe his dream. And maybe more...

Probably it happened because his privet problems and his colleagues decided they would do it better without him. It's businnes. I can understand their point of view, but I can't accept it...

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon May 22, 2006 11:23 am

rusti_knight wrote:Seriously guys, just show your support and don't backseat drive.
Hee-Hee. :)

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Mon May 22, 2006 7:53 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
rusti_knight wrote:Seriously guys, just show your support and don't backseat drive.
Hee-Hee. :)
:P

Okay, so it was a bad pun.
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com