KITT vs KARR

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Gold Coast Knight
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT vs KARR

Post by Gold Coast Knight » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:29 am

Hi all.
I watched a very badley recorded copy of KITT vs KARR the other day, the first time I had seen that episode since the early 90's. It had the adds cut out, and bits and peices were missing, but most of it was there. I must have missed a vital peice of information though, as I couldn't work out how KITT wasn't destroyed but KARR was when they collided in mid air. was that to do with the reflectors that Bonny installed, or was it because the laser bounced off KITT and hit KARR. Or maybe I should just be glad that it happened that way, and not ask questions.

G C K.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:29 am

I always figured it had to do with the laser being shot directly into K.A.R.R.'s scanner. That's when we see a bunch of his circuits get zapped and Michael says, "He's vulnerable head-on." That, and the fact that he deteriorated for 2 years at the beach probably didn't help the situation.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:20 pm

Yea, it doesn't explain how the laser reflecting back into KARR destroyed his MBS structure.

Unless we go with your second point, Lost Knight, about the fact that maybe ocean water can slowly rot into the mbs chemicals and rot it away but then that still doesn't account for how michael still states that karr was then vulnerable after the laser shot.

By all accounts, bonnie said in TDR that a laser shot into the scanner would destroy kitt and karr altogether so there shouldn't have been a need for a collision.

Zeron Hitaro
Volunteer

Post by Zeron Hitaro » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:05 pm

If nothing else you can go out on a limb and say that the reflected laser was:

A. Not a direct hit, but very very very darn close
or
B. Weakened since it was reflected, therefore not making the power enough for total destruction

Think back to the first episode of Season 2 with Goliath. The MSB isn't perfect and in some areas is weaker than others. I surmise that in both cases A and B since the laser didn't destroy KARR, it weakened the MSB around the immediate area of impact. (Because the MSB was weak around Goliath's trailer coupling and therefore could be destroyed with the laser, so I bet the MSB is weak around the scanner). Making it so KARR was vulnerable to a head-on attack.

Weakened MSB vs. Full Strength MSB

The result is KARR's destruction.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:05 am

Or, since KARR was a prototype, the MBS was a slightly different formula than was used for (and updated for) KITT? So therefore while it protected him against stuff like going through walls, a high-speed head-on collision coupled with intence explosion due to impact and circuit overload might have been too much for KARR's MBS. And the fact as mentioned, it was weakened by salt water.

I remember several times throughout the whole series that KITT himself mentioned he didn't like salt water, and that it was rough on his systems. But I don't know if he mentioned it being rough on his structure.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:41 am

Hm...in "The Scent Of Roses," K.I.T.T. asks Michael if he thinks the salt air will corrode his chassis. If the Molecular Bonded Shell was truly invulnerable, why would K.I.T.T. wonder something like that? Perhaps there is some truth to the salt air and water weakening the MBS after all?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:20 am

I though KARR actually hit KITT with the laser too and yeah i think sea water could be the weakness
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:37 am

here is a link to a short clip of that scene:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPZGXti_D4&search=karr
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

Aussie Knight Rider
Recruit

kitt vs karr

Post by Aussie Knight Rider » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:02 pm

James_kr wrote:I though KARR actually hit KITT with the laser too and yeah i think sea water could be the weakness
Yes Karr hit Kitt but Kitt also hit Karr in Trust Dosent Rust and all it did was take out a head light but you have to watch Trust Doesnt Rust to get the idea of the laser. Bonnie says that the laser will only work if Karr takes a direct hit at his only vulnarble spot the scanner.
Thanks for reading.

Aussie Knight Rider :wink: 8)

Zeron Hitaro
Volunteer

Re: kitt vs karr

Post by Zeron Hitaro » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:44 pm

Aussie Knight Rider wrote:
James_kr wrote:I though KARR actually hit KITT with the laser too and yeah i think sea water could be the weakness
Yes Karr hit Kitt but Kitt also hit Karr in Trust Dosent Rust and all it did was take out a head light but you have to watch Trust Doesnt Rust to get the idea of the laser. Bonnie says that the laser will only work if Karr takes a direct hit at his only vulnarble spot the scanner.
Thanks for reading.

Aussie Knight Rider :wink: 8)
A slight problem with that is that in TDR the laser wasn't callibrated, therefore not highly accurate. (Has to watch TDR again to see which areas the laser hit) From the looks of the clip on youtube.com it seems that the laser hits Karr right above the scanner instead of dead on.

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:46 pm

In KITT vs KARR bonnie says that she's beefed up the lazer making it more powerfull. Then of course its stolen by john and KARR.
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:57 am

i can't believe the difference between the dvd quality and the old vhs/tv quality its amazing how well they digitally remarsted it
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Chitown Knight
Volunteer

Post by Chitown Knight » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:15 am

Lost Knight wrote:I always figured it had to do with the laser being shot directly into K.A.R.R.'s scanner. That's when we see a bunch of his circuits get zapped and Michael says, "He's vulnerable head-on." That, and the fact that he deteriorated for 2 years at the beach probably didn't help the situation.
After seeing the episode on DVD about three months ago (and re-watching this part a couple of days ago), I think that the main reason why KARR exploded upon impact with KITT is because the laser shot that was reflected by KITT's high-tensile reflectors 1) shattered KARR's (stolen) laser, and 2) weakened the MBS in the front end of KARR (as Zeron Hitaro said). I do not think that the reflected laser shot went into KARR's scanner; I believe that it destroyed KARR's laser. Remember what KITT said as he and Michael drove into the area where KARR was: "I detect our laser mounted under his scanner, Michael." Now, check out this screencap of KARR firing the laser for the first time:

You can clearly see that the laser is mounted under his scanner, as KITT said. Now, remember what Michael said after KARR hit KITT with a laser shot to the windshield area: "Alright, prepare the high-tensile reflectors. [If] we can find the right angle, we're gonna shatter that laser." Now, check out this screencap of where the reflected laser shot hits KARR:

The laser shot appears to hit KARR just about where the laser is, or very slightly above it, but not directly in the scanner. I believe that the shots you see of circuits exploding are of the laser's circuits. So, in effect, Michael and KITT shattered KARR's laser, as Michael said they would. Also remember that when KITT got hit in the windshield area with the laser, he said: "I can't take another blow like that," likely meaning that the laser shot weakened him in that area, and another laser shot might've completely neutralized/destroyed KITT's MBS. So, the reflected laser shot not only shattered KARR's laser, but it also likely weakened the MBS in KARR's front end. With the laser (KARR's only advantage over KITT) destroyed, and the MBS in KARR's front end weakened, KARR was indeed vulnerable head-on, and Michael and KITT could go ahead with their head-on attack of KARR.

Gold Coast Knight
Recruit

Post by Gold Coast Knight » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:41 am

Something else that I noticed aswell, I noticed this when I watched the recorded copy the other day, but It made me think when I watched the small clip on here. KARR was destroyed by KITT hitting him head on, yet KARR's nose cone is still completely intact when you see all the pieces on the ground. Interesting don't you think?

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:32 am

Classic Knight Rider :)
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:06 pm

haha, well that's just a goof on the part of fliming. I'd add to the discussion. But chitown kinda handled everything, lol
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

KARR77
Recruit

Post by KARR77 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:08 am

i was about to add somethin myself, but after re-reading chitowns post, its been covered lol
"if i die i'll take you with me" me

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:23 pm

After seeing chitown's post, one thing bugs me. There's no real hole in KARR's front nose the size of the laser. He looks like there's nothing installed in that area at all. And a pinhole would not make a laser light that size in diameter. :)

Starship
Recruit

Post by Starship » Mon May 01, 2006 2:42 am

I find this thread interesting. While I don't remember enough about the series to know the titles of all the shows, I do remember watching this episode. And when the big climax came and KARR exploded, I was like, "Huh? What happened?" I was glad KITT made it through, but I couldn't help wonder what I had missed. Thanks for clearing it up!
I try to put a little KITT in any car I own!