1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

pewter 02ws6
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:15 pm

for anyone following my KITT to KARR conversion,
i broke down and removed the solid pillars between the fog lamps on the nose and it went really well. i plan to use only two lights on each side. i have to craft some type of backing yet and find replacement lights for the stock ones. i will probably use 1/8" acrylic sheeting for the backing and paint it flat black. as for the lights, i'm going to head to the store to see if there is any toy or model that has replacement lights that would fit and look accurate. pics to come soon :wink:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:53 pm

Are you doin a total conversion like the hubcaps,turn signal covers,corect license plate,and voice modulator sticker?Then you would have the total package.

Knight 5150
Volunteer

I got it!

Post by Knight 5150 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:55 pm

I received today my ertl 1/18 KITT. It's fantastic! I didn't think it was so detailed.
The only faults I see (besides the fog lights) is that the t-tops are very loose and can fall if you move the car, and isn't the back window too dark?
Anyway, I'm very happy with it. :D

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:18 pm

Thanks HondaSIR. I wouldn't have thought about the ink. :) I've got to remember that.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:42 pm

pewter 02ws6 wrote:for anyone following my KITT to KARR conversion,
i broke down and removed the solid pillars between the fog lamps on the nose and it went really well. i plan to use only two lights on each side. i have to craft some type of backing yet and find replacement lights for the stock ones. i will probably use 1/8" acrylic sheeting for the backing and paint it flat black. as for the lights, i'm going to head to the store to see if there is any toy or model that has replacement lights that would fit and look accurate. pics to come soon :wink:
Your conversion appears to be going along smoothly! We're all awaiting the pics. :)

CB2001: No problem, I hope your project also goes along smoothly. It is a nice rendition of KITT that is worthy to be in any collection. :)

TransAmKITT2000
Volunteer

Where is 1/18 Scale KITT Available

Post by TransAmKITT2000 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:29 pm

I like to know if the 1/18 scale KITT is finally released.I have been
checking on the internet and found that it is available and on the
market.Is it for certain areas or is it abroad?If it is available in Canada
I will order mine as soon as I can.

TransAmKITT2000
Volunteer

Post by TransAmKITT2000 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:36 pm

I seen the pictures of the 1/18 scale model of KITT made by Ertl.I noticed
that the engine is wrong.KITT had a fuel injection not a turbo set up
like the model has.I would still buy the model just the same.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:55 pm

The ERTL KITT has long been released...way back in November '04 together with the Aoshima. Unfortunately, they can both be found in good abundance only in ebay. No one knows why the stores are having a hard time procuring the ERTL.

Regarding the engine, in the show KITT actually had a turbine power plant. No one knows what it looks like (probably similar to the jet powered Batmobile of the 1989 movie) so ERTL just put in a turbo-charged V8. They probably chose this one over the stock carburated Crossfire because it looked much cooler.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:50 am

ModelZone in BlueWater has them in stock - they have one in their display cabinet.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:44 pm

BREAKING NEWS AGAIN 1/18 ERTL KARR COMING IN JULY

New topic in place as started by OKC KNIGHT ---> http://www.knightrideronline.com/phpbb/ ... php?t=6161

I also confirmed this with Ertl as confirmed in the above-stated topic.

Last edited by PBH on Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 pm

just bought my rcertl joy ride KITT today woohoo!! :D :D :D he's currently taking pride of place on the hearth in my living room ;) :D talking about shops having a hard time getting it, here in Belfast our two main model/collector's shops (Forbidden Planet/Modeller's Nook) have both had an abundance in stock, they've just sold out very quickly! they got new stock in today of only a handful of cars before the main delivery this friday, and the knight rider ones sold out (about six per shop) in both (i grabbed the last one in the latter shop :D). so i don't think it's supply that's the problem, it's the demand lol! ;)

i think the model is fantastic, certainly much better than anything released when the show was actually new! i can't fault it :D

one question: how long do the four batteries last then? just wondering. i mean, i'd like to have the scanner on as much as possible but not if it burns out the batteries very quickly.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:58 pm

I generally tend to use the preview button, and it's been pressed at least once almost every day since I got the car on December 5th. Still on the first set of batteries.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:05 pm

i was thinking of having the scanner on permanently myself but i'm more worried about burning out the led's than anything.

so i'm just treating it as a 2nd rated feature...just pressed for occasional amusement.

as for how long the batteries last, all depends how long the model has been on storage too, batteries still slowly drain.

they are the type that go in watches, i think, so they last very long in those....but to power up led's....not sure.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:29 pm

thanks daniel and lee. yeh after posting i got kinda concerned about burning out the LEDs too. think i'l keep it for occassional amusement lol, like Louise (my housemate as skav knows lol ;)) was on the fon earlier and i told her there's somat new in the living room when she comes back lol. all the lights are off (apart from tv - on bravo lol!!) and i'l hit KITT when i hear the front door lol! hehehe... such a big kid!
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:37 pm

heh, you two need to get on messenger more. :P

the scanner works very well in the dark...just a shame it blinks on and off at each end of the scanner but it is a battery energy saving feature ;)
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:14 pm

Skav wrote:but it is a battery energy saving feature ;)
really...? how so? ur right tho, still look so cool!! :D lol!

Squealer
Volunteer

Post by Squealer » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:48 am

I'm wondering if we should remove the batteries if we want to keep it in storage... Because batteries leak over time...

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:34 pm

i don't suppose these would be foudn in a real store? Only online?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:53 pm

Your best bet if you want brick-and-mortar shops are comic book stores and hobby shops in your area. They haven't shown up at any big chains, like Target or Toys 'R Us, yet. Online, it's available at http://www.idcow.com, http://www.entertainmentearth.com, http://www.towerhobbies.com, http://www.showcasetoys.com, and [url]htp://www.diecastblast.com[/url]

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:34 pm

Squealer wrote:I'm wondering if we should remove the batteries if we want to keep it in storage... Because batteries leak over time...
I don't think those kinds of "watch" batteries leak over time. I have several watches in storage for several years and not one of them has leaked. It's safe to just leave them there in the compartment.
cloudkitt wrote:i don't suppose these would be foudn in a real store? Only online?
Some members here have had luck finding it in a store, and at such low prices (US$25.00). I bought mine at a 1:18 diecast specialty store for $34.00. If you can't find it near your area, then you have to buy it online. There is no other choice, its better than nothing really.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:08 am

they're seen as adult collectors' pieces so it'll be model/hobby/collectors stores where you're most likely to find them. well worth tracking down, i love mine! :D

greenpoison
Volunteer

Post by greenpoison » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:45 pm

Hi!
Today I have converted my both KR´s with the 8 LED´s correct flashing scanner from http://www.knightlight.co.uk/ :D :D
If anyone is interested how it look & works, can look here http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album209
The wmv files are downloadable!

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:32 pm

greenpoison wrote:Hi!
Today I have converted my both KR´s with the 8 LED´s correct flashing scanner from http://www.knightlight.co.uk/ :D :D
If anyone is interested how it look & works, can look here http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album209
The wmv files are downloadable!
nice job on the scanners :wink:
how hard was the install?can you set it up so that karr's scanner has the criss-cross pattern and is there a way to speed up the scanner? any chance you can do a write-up on the install with pics?
thanks,chris

Tetsu
Recruit

KITT/ KARR scanner conversion

Post by Tetsu » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:54 pm

Hey greenpoison,
I'm with Pewter02ws6 on this one. I just ordered my 8 LED scanner from the same website, should be commin in next week. But I would sure like to see a tutorial or some step by step instructions on how you managed to fit the scanner light inside. It will help us a great deal. Thanks alot for sharing your conversion with us bro,
Tetsu
P.S - It seems the scanner light is faded or foggy in your clip. Does it look that way in person or can you see the individual LED's more clearly like in the TV show?

Squealer
Volunteer

Post by Squealer » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:58 pm

Very very nice job done on the scanners... As far as I remember in the show, they flash like that!!! Damn... Now I am starting to find fault with my Aoshima scanner... Sigh...